The Russian invasion of Ukraine (11 Viewers)

Here in Latvia anxieties are definitely higher than normal. People have already started talking about where they would go if they have to leave the country. Its a bit knee-jerk, sure, but what's happening in Ukraine is being taken very much to heart in all the Baltic countries.

I'm located in one of the smaller cities to the north of Riga. Fliers have started appearing in the windows of buildings with a phone number for Ukrainian's needing help, can call. A call has gone out to locals looking for people with spare beds or properties. Though there's no fighting here, its making everything a lot more real than for countries further west.

People are overlooking the fact that Russian forces setting foot in any Baltic state is a far different prospect for the entire planet than them going into Ukraine. Putin wants the Baltics, there's no doubt about that, but all 3 states are NATO members, and given that he's struggling with Ukraine, taking on the entirety of NATO might be something he'll think twice about.

People down near Riga are the most panicked. They are seeing military activity on the streets there, as thats where the main NATO base is located. Canada have long-standing diplomatic ties with Latvia so they've been sending in a lot of troops. A load arrived from America at the weekend too so I guess its all starting to feel very busy down there.

I was talking to a Latvian friend yesterday. My language teacher, actually. She lives in Scotland and her boyfriend is an English, Russian translator. He's in Moscow and, because her family are beside the NATO base, they're in a complete panic. He's booked on a flight to Uzbekistan today, and hopefully onwards to London the following day.

Things are clearly not going to plan for putin and co., and at the same time there’s a disincentive to voluntarily de-escalate. It’s not a very intelligent statement to make- but this could get a lot worse before it gets any better.
one of his oligarch buddies (the chap who owns aughinish alumina in ireland) has tweeted that they need to restore peace. one would like to think he actually talks to putin and doesn't just tweet out into the wider world.

I haven't posted on this thread since before Russia invaded...
well as I said less than two weeks ago, I wrongly thought Putin would get a few concessions and claim a moral victory on state TV and that would be the end of it.
until recently Vlad seemed like a controlled personality who chose his targets well and astutely did due dilegence and overwhelmingly tended to come out on top but guess what? Vlad isn't an evil genius at all!
He's just another megalomanic fool or else he went quare in the head very quickly.

I am devastated for everyone most especiallly everyone in Ukraine but also Russians who now are facing ruin.

in the news today the EU deciding to arm the Ukrainian government is a real Rubicon moment and even Germany is to massively increase spending to levels not seen since Hitler.

I have little idea how Vlad P. went about planning this madness but surely he was told again and again by military, risk assessment and quantity surveyor types that this was a fucking absurd idea and he still went and did it. i wonder how those meetings went.
Agree with this. The Finnish ex-PM was on the telly the other night saying that we're dealing with a different Putin now. He's 69, looks in poor health for the first time ever and who knows, maybe this is his last hit-and-hope stab at a lasting legacy. That can only fail. I think he's gone a bit nuts.

Looks like our school is starting a collection for this

IMG-20220228-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
lots of conflicting info out there, i have seen other tweets that if you want to send something to help, send cash; that charities will be overwhelmed with materials which they will struggle to move.

If you think there are free and fair elections in Belarus, you really do have some catching up to do.

spare me this shit

all elections in authoritarian states have to strike a balance between reality and fantasy. the appearance of democratic choice is itself a powerful propaganda tool. that’s exactly what got lukashenka into such trouble after the last election, when he had to crack down after the reality side of things got too far ahead of itself.

the results of the referendum just got announced, 65.2% in favour. doubtless rigged, faked, absurd. but hardly some kind of 99% north-korea type of outcome. and in this hall-of-mirrors type of situation, it *does* matter to show that people elsewhere in europe are paying attention. hence the russians and belarusians protesting at the embassy.

but hey, it’s fine, just go pissing on the decisions of those brave russians and belarusians willing to protest and making decisions about where to focus their energy, I’m sure you have a much better understanding of everything after reading some wikipedia pages

Agree with this. The Finnish ex-PM was on the telly the other night saying that we're dealing with a different Putin now. He's 69, looks in poor health for the first time ever and who knows, maybe this is his last hit-and-hope stab at a lasting legacy. That can only fail. I think he's gone a bit nuts.

I'm kinda looking at it the same way. With retirement creeping up on him and years of being sorrounded by yes men, what is left but being an expansionist egomaniac.

However.

One thing he did come out with over the past week was along the lines of people saying he 'invaded' ukraine - and he responded by saying something along the lines of 'well when the west was invading Iraq, that was peacekeeping to, i'm just talking your language' which is a fair point. Just he didn't need to kill people to make it.

but hey, it’s fine, just go pissing on the decisions of those brave russians and belarusians willing to protest and making decisions about where to focus their energy, I’m sure you have a much better understanding of everything after reading some wikipedia pages
I did nothing of the sort. I was referring to your claim that this “might actually have a real word effect”, relative to other protests. They should protest for what they believe in and they are right. And you are quick to assume the extent of my knowledge, based on precisely zero.

so now the russians are explicitly blaming liz truss, of all people, for the nuclear alert — what’s going on here?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back