The Quinns & Cavan (1 Viewer)

Ah, Belarus!

If you go down to the woods today beware of Teddy Bear paratroops. Vid at link.

Belarus generals sacked over Swedish teddy bear stunt
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19076104

_61783172_jex_1475951_de01-1.jpg

An independent photographer was detained in Belarus for posting images of teddy bears on the internet

Related Stories

Belarus country profile
Were Belarus metro bombers framed?

The president of Belarus has sacked his air force and border security chiefs because a Swedish light plane managed to drop teddy bears into the country with labels calling for freedom.

President Alexander Lukashenko expressed fury over the incident, which happened on 4 July.

Only last week did the official media admit that it had actually happened.

Mr Lukashenko has cracked down hard on political opponents. His re-election in 2010 was marred by reports of abuses.

An official statement from the president's office on Tuesday said the Chairman of the State Border Committee, Maj Gen Igor Rachkovsky, and Air Defence Commander Maj Gen Dmitry Pakhmelkin had been dismissed for failing in their duties.

The plane, chartered by a Swedish public relations firm called Studio Total, dropped hundreds of the little teddy bears near the town of Ivenets and on the outskirts of the capital Minsk. It crossed into Belarusian air space from Lithuania.

The bears came down with little parachutes and had labels calling for freedom of speech and human rights.

President Lukashenko has kept many Soviet-era symbols of state power
Belarusian police have arrested two Belarusians suspected of aiding and abetting the Swedish stunt - journalism student Anton Suryapin and Sergei Basharimov, an estate agent. If found guilty they could face up to seven years in jail.

At a meeting with military commanders last week President Lukashenko asked angrily "Why didn't the commanders intercept that flight?

"Who did they sympathise with? Was it bungling by particular officials or a failure in the state's air defence system?"

A BBC Russian Service reporter in Minsk, Tatyana Melnichuk, says the state of Belarusian air defences has been widely discussed in local independent media, as well as in the Moscow press. Yet until last week the Belarusian state media referred only to an "invented" story about a Swedish air-drop.

Belarusian analysts say the president's anger was fuelled by Moscow's indignation, because Russia has helped develop the country's anti-aircraft defences. The former Soviet Union was embarrassed in 1987 when a German pilot, Matthias Rust, flew under the radar and landed a light plane in Red Square.

i must dig out my copy of 'chaos at the crossroads'; i think i read in here that quinn would routinely stick two fingers up to the planning authorities and build factories he'd been told not to build, and then pull the 'if you make me pull the factory down, 100 people will lose their jobs' line. and he'd always get his own way.

i must mention that it may have been someone else who did this, but i *think* it was quinn.

Ah jasus. Tell me I';m hallucinating and this doesn't exist.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back