The Quinns & Cavan (1 Viewer)

damn, now it looks like I started this thread in a rage against all culchies

Fintan O'Toole today

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0731/1224321157051.html

"
There is something else that is not in dispute: that Quinn is openly, flagrantly and quite proudly trying to hang on to this money that belongs to us. As he said on Sunday, he took a “very conscious decision” to do “everything in our power to take as many assets as we could”. The basic intention is very simple – to transfer assets from the Irish people to the Quinn family."

http://www.politics.ie/forum/econom...n-undisputedly-costing-us-31-july-2012-a.html

Reading various responses to this this morning

Some people are suggesting there is an agenda to vilify all loan and tax defaulters so that when property charges come in, for example ordinary protesters or refuseniks won't have a leg to stand on

Seems a little paranoid to me, and to compare ordinary mortgage holders etc to Sean Quinn? what the...

Reading various responses to this this morning

Some people are suggesting there is an agenda to vilify all loan and tax defaulters so that when property charges come in, for example ordinary protesters or refuseniks won't have a leg to stand on

Seems a little paranoid to me, and to compare ordinary mortgage holders etc to Sean Quinn? what the...

it's hardly the same thing, is it? if someone chooses to boycott a household charge or property tax on principle (assuming that it's even going to be possible for a PAYE worker to do so...) it's not in the same league as transferring millions in personal assets beyond the reach of the courts / state or being caught on hidden camera saying lying to the courts ain't no thing, which I have a bigger issue with than whatever allegedly shady dealings were done to prop up a failing bank that got them to where they are now.

edit: does that even make sense?

I think the argument is that thousands of Irish people were offered , and many accepted large loans that they now can't afford to pay back..which people fans are equating with the Quinn shenanigans...ignoring all the subterfuge and dodgy dealing, with some saying 'sure that's all part of doing business'

which is pretty depressing really

I think the argument is that thousands of Irish people were offered , and many accepted large loans that they now can't afford to pay back..which people fans are equating with the Quinn shenanigans...ignoring all the subterfuge and dodgy dealing, with some saying 'sure that's all part of doing business'

which is pretty depressing really

Because that guy needed to take that loan for fear of being left off the 50 room mansion property ladder?

the people i know who took out large mortgages for houses now worth less than half of what they paid for them are not able to transfer those assets abroad to keep the banks from getting their hands on them.

The comments below the Irish Times article are some of the most depressing shit I've read in a long time. The Irish Times apparently hates rural people, Catholics and the GAA.

Re: "scumbags... skangers... knackers"

Ive had that experience multiple times, over multiple situations, its like a really lazy comfirmation bias. plenty of dubling oul wans still reflexively love charlie.

also I think the GAA has re-confirmed my opinion that it represents both the worst and best aspects of the irish character simultaniously. sean boylan in particular has dropped in my estimation - never had him down as a gombeen lover. (not that he gives a shit im sure. )

I was surprised to see Seán Boylan there as well. He's certainly a gentleman but I always had him down as someone smarter than that

the people i know who took out large mortgages for houses now worth less than half of what they paid for them are not able to transfer those assets abroad to keep the banks from getting their hands on them.

This.People will either lose their houses or come to some other arrangements with their mortgage provider,Quinn deliberately set out to defraud the banks and by default the tax payer who now owns most of them.Anyone defending this is completely deluded.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinio...urts-must-prevail-in-sorry-affair-202515.html

"That the debt is owed to the people of Ireland who have had to pick up the Anglo Irish tab — the thick end of €30bn — makes the contention almost seditious. That so many of his fellow citizens are in such dire straits because of the machinations of insatiable "investors" puts the contention in the let-them-eat-cake category of autocratic dismissals."

"It has not been established that the loans were administered illegally by Anglo Irish Bank, but even if it eventually is, how does that change the obligation, freely entered into — indeed, eagerly sought — by Mr Quinn and his family to repay the huge sums involved? "

"Loyalty must be tempered with judgement or else it becomes blind and destructive. We must also decide if we are to be loyal to individuals or to principles, in this instance it seems impossible to be both. As King Canute discovered, the tide cannot be held back and no matter how loudly Mr Quinn and his supporters protest our courts must prevail in this sorry affair. Any other conclusion would be disastrous for society. The really sad thing is that the Quinn family knows that too."

Any chance of cutting central funding to Cavan to the tune of e440 million?(or whatever amount he owes)

Its more like €3 billion. Plus the extra levy on insurance due to the way he ran Quinn Insurance.

I cannot understand these people. Its not like he was a great employer, wages were relatively low, he wouldn't recognise unions. Some of the people supporting him are fellow crooks, naming no names but a school principal on €100k pa who spends his working hours writing columns for various papers, who also was stung badly in property speculation. But most of his supporters are the forelocking tugging workers that he exploited. They would starve because its their rightful place to starve.

effectively his actions have added up the price of anglo as a current debt, or more, as it was his speculation (gambling) and chasing dead money when the vulture bidders started attacking anglo once they knew that it was likely a one man show attempting the buyout that was a major weight in the eventual bolloxing of that bank.

The Irish Times apparently hates rural people, Catholics and the GAA.

Well they're the morons that showed up at the rally. In the rain no less.

The country is fucked and will continue to be fucked because a massive section of the population are goms and vote as such.

It's the land of Haughey, Lowry and Healy-Rae.

All of this clamour to have the people that caused the crisis brought to justice, and what happens when they are?
There's a fucking pity party held in his honour by the great & good and op-eds run hitting back at the negativity.

Joke. Of. A. Country.

The GAA issue communications every once in a while that members are not allowed use their GAA affiliation for political means. I'd be surprised if the organisation doesn't distance itself from the actions of some of its members.

Sean Kelly, that fucking Kerry prick former GAA president, who is a Fine Gael TD now, was there too. Ructions in Fine Gael soon too I'd say.

I'm a member of the GAA and fuck the Quinn cunts anyway.

The GAA issue communications every once in a while that members are not allowed use their GAA affiliation for political means. I'd be surprised if the organisation doesn't distance itself from the actions of some of its members.

Sean Kelly, that fucking Kerry prick former GAA president, who is a Fine Gael TD now, was there too. Ructions in Fine Gael soon too I'd say.

I'm a member of the GAA and fuck the Quinn cunts anyway.

With Brian D'Arcy showing up, the only bogger institution not represented was SuperMacs.

More evidence of how badly Quinn treated his employees.

The thousands of local supporters and former Quinn Group employees who gathered to rally around Seán Quinn in Ballyconnell on Sunday would do well to remember an incident from 2005. That year, Fermanagh-based Quinn Cement was censured by the Labour Court, which found that the company had failed to honour employment commitments made earlier that year relating to sick pay, disciplinary procedures and the length of the working week.

Siptu had taken the case on behalf of its members at Quinn Cement – most of whom were “confidential” union members.The court compelled Quinn Cement to implement a 39-hour week and to introduce a sick-pay scheme – hardly a radical request at a time when the group, and the country generally, was on the ascent.

Seán Quinn is not what you’d call union-friendly. While some businesses within his colossal empire did recognise and engage with unions, such as his hotel businesses and some international divisions, on the whole the Quinn Group refused to recognise trade unions.

Despite his reincarnation as some kind of Santa Claus figure by his supporters in recent months, it is worth asking how much of his enormous fortune Quinn actually shared with his employees.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0731/1224321154600.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back