The ol' self-doubt (2 Viewers)

How good do you feel about your own music?

• Darius

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Don't worry about it too much

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Woody Allen

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Jimmy Magee

Website
www.myspace.com
Hasn't been a decent poll in a while...and so it continues, some will claim, no doubt...

Anyway, I'm curious...how do people feel about their own music? Do you always think you're great? Sometimes? Not think too much about it, just play and enjoy for its own sake? Constantly wring your hair out shouting about how shite you are and why do you bother etc?

Just to set the ball rolling...I oscillate wildly, set my targets way too high, and thus am constantly disappointed...I mean, do youse often wonder how the masterpiece in your head turned into the dreary shite you're listening back to? And then of course wonder why on earth you ever thought it was good in the first place...ah, the joys...

constant worry, not so much for other people's benefit besides not wanting to look/sound like a tit.

depends. if i get the right hook (ie. sample), can be well chuffed with a track

unless i've made a complete cack of it, in which case i hammer away at it for longer and longer until i'm convinced i'm a completely talentless waster.

or unless i'm singing, which i really try not to do, wherever possible, for the sake of humanity and any unfortunate dogs that happen to be passing through the neighbourhood.

so most of the time, pretty much a woody allen

I really believe in what I've written for about a month...then I start to see it as unoriginal and not interesting enough. I'm used to it by now.

My main worry about music is when it sounds like I don’t mean it. Nothing worse that insincerity...I mean, look at Jinx Lennon or even Keith Moss....whatever I think of their stuff...they believe in it so much I can't help pondering my own confidence.

Mr Knight..I beleve we were talking about this in the village but I apologise for being very distracted by my wife dancing in a provocative manner.

ps - when I think about it more, modesty and self doubt may be the best policy for carrying on...

Originally posted by sparse
What exactly is Darius' take on the whole thing.

i'd reckon something like:

"Oooh, everybody, look at me! I'm so super! I can sing and dance and everything! I've got super-thrust rocket boots! King of the world! King of the world! I'm just the best! Everybody, love me because I'm so great! Tra-la-la!"

The scary thing is, Darius did exactly what he claimed he'd do, after that Britney debacle. Who'd have thought it? Seems self-belief can go a long way.

Constantly analysing your own music has to be a good thing. It means you're always striving to improve. However being sufficiently full of doubt to allow a critical drubbing to change the way you view your music is not good.

Sounding all hippy here but you've got to stick to your guns and the good will out etc. etc. So do the best you possibly can...

Here's some consolatory logic...

a) John Lennon/Brian Wilson/<insert your own hero here, it'll probably still be true> were always doubting themselves and constantly thinking they were shite

b) I/we am/are always doubting myself/ourselves and thinking I/we're shite (delete as appropriate)

c) Ergo, I'm/we're as good as John Lennon/Brian Wilson/<....>

Bada-bing!

Unfortunately, lots of other people frequently doubt themselves, for the simple reason that they are shite.

I've given up. I just don't know anymore. I think I worried about it too much and then realised that so long as I was happy with the sounds that I was making that that was fine. which isn't to say that I'm happy with the sounds that I'm making, but I think I can see some point in the future where I will be.

And sher isn't that what it's all about like...

I don't worry about it too much. But can be critical about my own stuff. I'm confident though, that my music is better than almost everything I see on TV and definitley on the Radio. Thats why I started writing, coz so much music sucks the Elephant cock. I write what I want to hear. I really enjoy jammin with the band, dancin around, magnificent buzzing.

....but I do find myself redoing vocals till I'm blue in the face sometimes.

Originally posted by Unclealo
:eek: (Looks nervously out window and says "They're stealing my thoughts! They're stealing my thoughts!")

Methinks you've been around Playground Psychotic a bit too much recently!

Seriously though, I'm totally neurotic about what I write. I make Woody Allen look like Noel Gallagher. For every one song I bring to the band there's at least 5 I throw out. Even still, there's songs of mine that we play every gig and when I sing them I just think "god, that's lame" but I seem totally unable to change them...everything else I come up with seems worse. Weirdly for me (considering I never wrote a song before I was 19) it's not the music that I'm paranoid about, it's the lyrics. I'm getting all frustrated and angsty just thinking about it...:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back