The ol' self-doubt (1 Viewer)

How good do you feel about your own music?

• Darius

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Don't worry about it too much

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Woody Allen

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters
Originally posted by silo
constant innovation fostered by being impressed and/or spurred on by the achievements of others in the community

I think that's happening here ... 'innovation' might be too strong a word, but I think the quality bar is being raised in Dublin on account of the strength of the scene. I though 'thirtysixstrings' was amazing when it first came out, but (apart from one or two tunes that still make my hair stand on end) it has kinda paled a bit in comparison with some of the other really good albums that have emerged from Dublin since

I love playing drums live, but I'm always pissed off with hearing myself played back. At a gig if I make a minute mistake that nobody (except other drummers, perhaps) would notice, i just say 'ah fuck it' and forget it. Recording however is completely different. I don't think I've ever been 100% happy with any recording I've done, even though other people may think it sounds ok.

sometimes I doubt if I exist

then I think, the only thing I can't doubt is the fact that I doubt my existence

so I must exist, if only as a big cloud of doubt

doubts about music pale into insignificance when you start into heavy shit like this

still, I heard the recording of us in the Village and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I hope everyone was drunk, that's all I'm saying

The problem with music today is that far too many people know how to play their instruments. Those people that actually know the chords n' stuff. show-offs. Should guitar playing not be completely based on the premise that you don't know how to play the damn thing in the first place. Isn't noise greater than melody?

everyone seems to be fairly woody allen about this... i have to say, although it may seem big headed, that i'm a very good pianist and keyboardist. but when it comes to writing my own music, i have very little that is any good.

so i'm darius about my musical ability, and woody about my writing.

Originally posted by enchance
The problem with music today is that far too many people know how to play their instruments. Those people that actually know the chords n' stuff. show-offs. Should guitar playing not be completely based on the premise that you don't know how to play the damn thing in the first place. Isn't noise greater than melody?

No. And it never will be really.

Originally posted by the pope
everyone seems to be fairly woody allen about this... i have to say,

...and I think this is reflected in the generally depressed/dark style of music which the Dubln scene exudes regularily. And we live in a dark cloudy wet country too. All factors.

Originally posted by enchance
Should guitar playing not be completely based on the premise that you don't know how to play the damn thing in the first place. Isn't noise greater than melody?

Depends what you're aiming at I suppose...

Mind you, I've noticed that in certain music circles it's not knowing how to play your guitar that counts - it's knowing every fucking thing about them from what gauge strings Kurt Cobain used to what pedal was used on the third chord of the second song on some shite album or other. All talk, expensive instruments and crap music.*

*Most of this rant is based on various nights spent talking to dickheads in Eamon Dorans - I get what I deserve...

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..a place for everything and everything in it's place.There is no better or worse.Just different.

....but would you like to watch a load of noise on TV or a well made scene of a film, with dandy imaginative cinematography?

Originally posted by Speed Racer
....but would you like to watch a load of noise on TV or a well made scene of a film, with dandy imaginative cinematography?

..thats not the way I look at it. Some people call certain music noise, others call it music..when does it become one or the other..what's the criteria how many chord changes and augmented fifths do you have to have? do you see the point? my old lad thinks all techno music is "noise" and he can see no logic to it at all..I'm sure lots of people his age think the same way..does that mean its not "music".no. q.e.d.

Talking about live performance/execution...

After a few thousends hours rehearsal, we don't really make any BIG mistakes and when this happens it doesn't bother me that much.... that's kind of part of the show in the end, any musician (even pro) hits some wrong notes sometimes.

What really makes me Woody Allen is the GROOVE... It's SO VERY hard to be groovy in a consistent way. I think it's more about mood and vibes than technic: sometimes you play a song and it really makes you bang your head, some other times it just... doesn't.... even if the execution is totally "correct"

Apparently it's something you can't really control and this drives me nuts because everytime we're about to perform live I can't know if that "X Factor" will be there or not... and this makes the difference between a nice song and a killer tune

Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back