The ol' self-doubt (4 Viewers)

How good do you feel about your own music?

• Darius

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Don't worry about it too much

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Woody Allen

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters
Lyrics can be the biggest pain in the whole hole. Especially when your Ma listens to some of yer swear words and such. Or people you know go, "is that me yer singing about?" Lyrics take about 3 drafts before I read them and don't feel embarrassed. But I read that Bob Dylan obsessed over lyrics in the same way sometimes. Its a tough coookie.

Concidering the last song I wrote for the band is called Annie Hall , I'd deffo have to say that one's a Woody Allen*

*this is not a joke

My unquantifiable, devilishly intricate sonic experimentalism taking in the nuances of soul, funk, hip-hop(only between 1983 and 1985), and glare rock only serves to put all of your so called "songs" or "music" to shame. I'm positively splendid in my musical workings and put brian wilson to shame.*

*i'm really bored and don't make music

Originally posted by Ed
My unquantifiable, devilishly intricate sonic experimentalism taking in the nuances of soul, funk, hip-hop(only between 1983 and 1985), and glare rock only serves to put all of your so called "songs" or "music" to shame. I'm positively splendid in my musical workings and put brian wilson to shame.*

Is that you Bono?

I don't write songs for any bands I play in, so my opinion is pretty invalid.

as always

But I do record stuff at home, (I wouldn't go far as write... that would imply some sort of organisation rather then the throwing together of random noise I partake of) this is done purely for my own pleasure and bar one or two friends I;d paly stuff for, it's entire purpose is to amuse me. This I like, as I can do, play or sing whatever I want and if I had a good time doing it then its fufilled its purpose. If it happens to sound decent at the end (once in a while it does too), that's a bonus!

I think I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to get up and perform songs I wrote

fuck, i've been found out, right while i'm here you all need to give me your support when i run for the soon to be elected position of pope of killiney

I wouldn't say I'm plagued by self doubt, but I tend to throw out a lot of songs and the ones I keep are written over the space of two months and about a dozen sittings. I just think I'm getting slower. I suppose I don't want to write for the sake of it. I want to be able to write something I can play at my next gig with confidence. And if I could just stop fiddling with meself I may even come up with a rhyme for 'sent from heaven above' - any ideas?

Here Ro! I got yer album. Its bloody good it is. Nice range of instruments on it. Alot of the songs are class. My fav is This Simple Life, nice guitar playing, very nice.

"I'll hold you hand and love you 'till the end of time"

ah crap :D

"to make love in a pub, with your mum"

I posted a thing up here before about lyrics. I have a number of tunes with upwards of three sets of entirely different lyrics for each. Can never decide which is better.
Definitely more Woody Allen than Darius. So much so that at the ripe old age of ## have yet to make Irish live debut. But soon. And it shall be very soft and squidjy and slightly spooky. ( I like to use fairground organs :eek: )
Let you all know when it happens.....just in case your not busy loik.....or maybe I shouldnt in case you come and......ah shit.:mad:

I've been making up music as long as I can remember (been playing piano since age 6, so probably started around then) and I have probably 4 finished pieces of music I'm happy with, maybe 4 others that are good but need a little (or a lot of) extra work to get rid of the weak spots ... also 2 or 3 that I've co-written that are good.

Not a very high hit rate for 25 years of work is it?

Also, like Alex says, very seldom happy with the execution of the good ones

can you have utter paranoia and crippling doubt as the superstructure on an underlying base of confidence? is that actually the question at all?

people get confidence from being in a community. that's evolution, bab-eee.

a gig is a community of sorts.

the foggy notions magazine had ian mackaye saying something about the washington dc 'scene' being based on this sort of thing; constant innovation fostered by being impressed and/or spurred on by the achievements of others in the community.

maybe we've got a whole false awareness of confidence/doubt when it's actually community/self or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back