the iRA and the Bank Robbery (1 Viewer)

AAA Golden Maverick said:
What your post indicates to me is that the IRA are the police of the Catholic community in the north of Ireland.

Why don't the SDLP have a role in the decision making of the IRA? They would considered a party that represents Catholics.

The SDLP never stepped in to protect Catholic communities, the IRA did, whether you agree with it or not, that is fact.

What your post indicates to me is that the IRA are the police of the Catholic community in the north of Ireland.

QUOTE]

To an extent this is true.
Listen to the McCartney sisters to hear a level headed and up to date account of how things stand in the north these days in relation to the police and the paramilitaries, and of their disillusionment with Sinn Fein.

But on the other side of the fence, a protestant friend of mine received threats from neo-nazi's and had to go to his local UVF to sort it out.

It seems the police force isnt 100% trusted by either community or more likely isn't as effective as the paramilitaries

Problematic said:
The SDLP never stepped in to protect Catholic communities, the IRA did, whether you agree with it or not, that is fact.

..lets not forget the most obvious thing about the IRA that they are terrorists and have a history of killing innocent people in England and Ireland. Omagh anyone? kilburn? you seem to be talking about them like knights in shining armour.

"On the 20th March 1993, the IRA exploded two bombs in Warrington town centre. The blasts killed two children: three year old Johnathan Ball died instantly, and twelve year old Tim Parry died five days later in hospital. "

nice guys to do business with.

Latex lizzie said:
..lets not forget the most obvious thing about the IRA that they are terrorists and have a history of killing innocent people in England and Ireland. Omagh anyone? kilburn? you seem to be talking about them like knights in shining armour.

Omagh was not the IRA, so lets be clear about what you`re saying. I assume you mean all the other bombing campaigns etc. Clearly you don`t approve, but at the time it was a necessarry political reaction to the situation in the six counties. Terrible things happened and were perpetrated by both sides but it needs to be kept in context. To dismiss the IRA as terrorists is your opinion, many others don`t share that opinion.

Problematic said:

Do you not have a problem with the fact that the IRA is an army that isn't controlled by a democratically elected body?

What I mean by this is that the people who are protected by the IRA don't actually have any say in how the IRA is run or what activities it gets up to.

Latex lizzie said:
..was not the IRA? sorry it was the real IRA. I forget sometimes..a rose by any other name there fella.

that is just silly. It may make things easier for your glibness to class all republicans as one organisation but sadly that is not the case, things would be much easier to work with if it was. The Real IRA is a completly sepatrate organsiation to the IRA, one pretty significant difference being the Good Friday Agreement.

Do you not have a problem with the fact that the IRA is an army that isn't controlled by a democratically elected body?

What I mean by this is that the people who are protected by the IRA don't actually have any say in how the IRA is run or what activities it gets up to.

Of course I have a problem with it, but whether I like it or not for a long time it was the only option open to people. People needed protection, protection at that from the government body in place to supposedly protect them, the IRA were the only people to step up to the plate. That is the situation history has left us with, the focus now has to be on getting Patton implemented so that legitimate policing can actually work.

Problematic said:
that is just silly. It may make things easier for your glibness to class all republicans as one organisation but sadly that is not the case, things would be much easier to work with if it was. The Real IRA is a completly sepatrate organsiation to the IRA, one pretty significant difference being the Good Friday Agreement.

this is symptomatic of the manner by which the IRA positioned and organised itself.

broken arm said:
this is symptomatic of the manner by which the IRA positioned and organised itself.

in some way yes, it is also symptomatic of different people having different ideas as to how to achieve something. The IRA believed the best route forward was to abandon the armed fight and work with the GFA, the Real IRA and other smaller dissident groups felt that you can only win through violence.

its back to the usual crap talking again by those who believe things because everyone says so.

get to the point here -
theres no evidence to say the provos robbed a bank or that sinn fein were involved.

punishment beatings happen due to an incompetant and untrusted police force - and its a lot more complex than just needing more catholics in it

The replies from those who argue against these things are basically verging on the silly.

Stop the stupid talk please, stop the glib remarks that say nothing, stop the stereotyping and just admit you think SF were involved in the robbery becuase you basically hate SF.

Like how democratic are you really? Some of you people sicken me in reality. If you are so uninterested in the peace process, then get the fuck out of this thread as its not meant for the likes of you. go watch paint dry or something

Problematic said:
in some way yes, it is also symptomatic of different people having different ideas as to how to achieve something. The IRA believed the best route forward was to abandon the armed fight and work with the GFA, the Real IRA and other smaller dissident groups felt that you can only win through violence.

my point being the "real IRA" didn't suddenly develop a new hardline approach and ideology that is in contravention to the popular fantasy of the IRA as protecters of the community (and I understand how that vision developed)

Chocohead said:
Like how democratic are you really? Some of you people sicken me in reality. If you are so uninterested in the peace process, then get the fuck out of this thread as its not meant for the likes of you. go watch paint dry or something

don't go for a job in politics.

Problematic said:

the realira didnt really believe the british and unionists wanted peace, and they may ewll have had a valid point considering how long its been and the GFA still isnt implimented.

broken arm said:
my point being the "real IRA" didn't suddenly develop a new hardline approach and ideology that is in contravention to the popular fantasy of the IRA as protecters of the community (and I understand how that vision developed)

it still hinged on the gfa though. the ira decided to try it, the realira decided not to sign up.

Chocohead said:
it still hinged on the gfa though. the ira decided to try it, the realira decided not to sign up.

don't have time to spelkl it out to you but think big picture. in relation to attitudes and ideology. north and south. cross community. basis for trust. willingness and tolerance. assumptions and understandings

broken arm said:
don't have time to spelkl it out to you but think big picture. in relation to attitudes and ideology. north and south. cross community. basis for trust. willingness and tolerance. assumptions and understandings

i can think of that alright. i just cant think how, in the current climate, it can be done. especially when so many people obviously mistrust and misunderstand the republican movement

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back