the institute (1 Viewer)

I applied to repeat my leaving in the institute but when I went in for the interview the principal asked me how I managed to fail Irish being from the Gaelteacht and all. I reminded her that Letterkenny wasn't in the Gaelteacht and decided there was no way they were getting two grand, or whatever the fees were back in 98, off us. Went to Ringsend Tech instead and got the points I needed and for a hell of alot less money. The Easter revision courses are pretty good but.

By the way I failed Irish because I walked out in disgust when I seen a question on Boyzone. Principals eh?

moose said:
Went to Ringsend Tech instead

my school!

did you have any of the following guys book learning you?

- sean o'hanlon
- con harvey
- cyril hayes

i'd say at least two of them must be retired by now, but they was great guys

Don't think I did, well not that I remember anyhow. What subjects did they teach? Con Harvey sounds familiar actually did, he teach physics or maths?

There were two teachers from Donegal though who felt they had to look out for me being from the same county and all which was cool.

Great school, really enjoyed my year there.

pete said:
my school!

did you have any of the following guys book learning you?

- sean o'hanlon
- con harvey
- cyril hayes

i'd say at least two of them must be retired by now, but they was great guys

coincidentally, i think con harvey is my friend's dad.

minka said:
coincidentally, i think con harvey is my friend's dad.
really??? the man's a legend.

to verify, ask him to say "Dynasty". If he says "DIEeenasty", it's him.

moose said:
Don't think I did, well not that I remember anyhow. What subjects did they teach? Con Harvey sounds familiar actually did, he teach physics or maths?

There were two teachers from Donegal though who felt they had to look out for me being from the same county and all which was cool.

Great school, really enjoyed my year there.

i was there for 6 years - 5 years to leaving cert, then repeated the leaving because i was only 16 when i did it the first time & was too young to sign on. great days.

Con Harvey might have made principal / vice principal by then - he is / was an english teacher.. think he was the only one to teach repeat classes. SO'H was maths & Cyril Hayes was English / Irish / French, among other things.

That's probably why he sounds familiar so. I had a lady english teacher there, she was pretty young.

rotten tropics said:

Only toffs say "toff".

Outed.

2_toff_l_03.jpg

to answer your question: I know of no-one who went to the institute to do art, it was always to do a "good" leaving. If a solid portfolio for admission to NCAD/IADT/DIT is your aim, you're better off doing a portfolio prep course after your leaving. There are a lot to choose from (I know a few people who went to Stillorgan, there are others)

ICUH8N said:
to answer your question: I know of no-one who went to the institute to do art, it was always to do a "good" leaving. If a solid portfolio for admission to NCAD/IADT/DIT is your aim, you're better off doing a portfolio prep course after your leaving. There are a lot to choose from (I know a few people who went to Stillorgan, there are others)
or you could do one before your leaving - i did one in the crawford in cork on saturdays when i was in fifth or sixth year. put me off art college for life.

that's the other side of it. The portfolio prep course will give you a good idea of what art college will be like (do think you would enjoy sleeping with makeup/fashion students? if so, read on...) it will expose you to like-minded "creatives" (smelly goths, pretentious design pricks, etc) and generally get you on the right track (the track to art college, or the track away from it as quickly as is possible)

Bellatrix said:
Two of my friends went to The Institute - they made loads of friends, smoked the Leaving Cert and have since embarked on careers in the fields of medicine and stop-motion animation respectively.

My brother went too. He seems to have spent most of the year gazing morosely into the pond in St. Stephen's Green, being shunned even by the ducks.

Still, he also did well in the Leaving and there's not much he doesn't know about Ugg boots.

Someone called me a working class hero for this.

whatever.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back