the institute (1 Viewer)

trianglegrrrl said:
did anyone go here?
is it worth it?
whats the art dep there like?
are class sizes big?

i went for 6th yr.
it is worth it if you get stuck in from the start.
the work load is humungous, as are most of the classes. forget bout makin many friends - you can organise your own timetable so within a week, the people you were gettin to know have changed thier classes around and youll never see them again!!

shit coz i had 3 hrs travellina day to/from lucan & this, my friend exhausts you. the workload is big enough without having to be mentally and physically exhausted. say goodbye to headin out durin the weeks and bye to saturday mornin lie ins coz youll be needin the time!! huge population of middle eastern diplomats kids people who stick to their own and huge population of d4 arseholes who dont give a shite.

very lonely place, worst year ever for me personally. hope you get to know at least one person in each class!! good intro to college if youll be goin to a big lectures course thing.

bottom line, great teachers, great notes and material. takes the fun out of learnin but super if its points you need.

arts dept? havent a clue bout that now.

if you want to do well and are prepared to have no life whatsoever until 13 months time, go for it

I have to cross paths with these jerks every working day. I'm sure their parents would only be delighted to know that they're paying an arm and a leg to educate fucking idiots unable to grasp the simple concept of a newsagent's door, i.e. YOU KEEP MOVING ONCE YOU HAVE EXITED THE SHOP THROUGH AFOREMENTIONED PORTAL - YOU DO NOT STAND IN EVERY OTHER FUCKERS WAY HAVING A CHAT. AND WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT, DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT WHEN I SHOVE YOU OUT OF MY WAY AFTER YOU IGNORE MY POLITE REQUEST TO MOVE.

Jerks.

pete said:
I have to cross paths with these jerks every working day. I'm sure their parents would only be delighted to know that they're paying an arm and a leg to educate fucking idiots unable to grasp the simple concept of a newsagent's door, i.e. YOU KEEP MOVING ONCE YOU HAVE EXITED THE SHOP THROUGH AFOREMENTIONED PORTAL - YOU DO NOT STAND IN EVERY OTHER FUCKERS WAY HAVING A CHAT. AND WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT, DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT WHEN I SHOVE YOU OUT OF MY WAY AFTER YOU IGNORE MY POLITE REQUEST TO MOVE.

Jerks.

ha

pete said:

Jerks.

I know I'm getting old when that shit makes me quietly psychotic:mad:

1893435040.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Two of my friends went to The Institute - they made loads of friends, smoked the Leaving Cert and have since embarked on careers in the fields of medicine and stop-motion animation respectively.

My brother went too. He seems to have spent most of the year gazing morosely into the pond in St. Stephen's Green, being shunned even by the ducks.

Still, he also did well in the Leaving and there's not much he doesn't know about Ugg boots.

Bellatrix said:
Two of my friends went to The Institute - they made loads of friends, smoked the Leaving Cert and have since embarked on careers in the fields of medicine and stop-motion animation respectively.

My brother went too. He seems to have spent most of the year gazing morosely into the pond in St. Stephen's Green, being shunned even by the ducks.

Still, he also did well in the Leaving and there's not much he doesn't know about Ugg boots.

Yeah.... I say think about it hard trianglegrrl.

I know you know all this already, and I dont mean to patronise, but I really think it's the type of place that can do wonders for people of a certain mindset and temperament, but will probably do fuck all for others. I dont think it's a easy fix for the open wound that is the Leaving Cert. Paying the dosh and putting yourself in the building won't make the information go into your head. You still have to put in the hard graft yourself. So do you really think you can't do this as it stand in the school you already go to?

Personally I wouldn't have bothered going to the Institute mainly coz I was a real independent stubborn fucker in school and didn't like getting help at all. Wanted to do it MY OWN WAY. I'm still like that even when I'm making the dinner. Didn't get grinds and strangely that put me very much in the minority. Feck that shite.

I was happy with what I got. (Although by my old school's standard in leaving cert results it would've been a kinduva B/B+ leaving cert. Bah. Cuntz. Got the course I wanted though so who gives a shit.) (Oh, and it wasn't a posh school. Ask Bellatrix, she went there. it was generally averagemiddleclassville meets scumsville)

Have you talked to anyone who goes to the instutute at the moment? Is there a mad grinds buzz in your school? Do you really think that just knuckling down in tyour current school wouldn't be enough?

one of my sisters did saturday courses at great expense in 6th year. It later transpired that this mostly involved drinking pints with whiskey chasers in Bartley Dunnes and signing herself in as things such as the border fox and dessie o'hare. Oh how my parents laughed.

If you're wanting to concentrate on portfolio preparation you'd probably be better staying in the school you're in and doing summer courses in NCAD and the VEC's and then looking for a decent tutor during your 6th year to help you put together a decent portfolio which will show your skills. S'what I did.

i just remembered i had a decent 6th year art tutor who put so much time into helping me get a decent portfolio together for art college.

Ended up doing tv/radio but what a nice woman, she put all her eggs in one basket for me and i let her down, that said inspector horse was offered many of those eggs but he turned them down cos he says they're just chicken sperm.

Igor said:
I know I'm getting old when that shit makes me quietly psychotic:mad:

1893435040.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Next: my feelings on the ones who insist on sauntering along four-abreast on the footpath GETTING IN MY FUCKING WAY WHEN I'M LATE FOR WORK.

Jerks.

pete said:
Next: my feelings on the ones who insist on sauntering along four-abreast on the footpath GETTING IN MY FUCKING WAY WHEN I'M LATE FOR WORK.
Jerks.

The answer = Approximately EUR 24.55

When a student from the institute is touched by the Small Fry it will disrupt the message the brain sends to the voluntary muscles. Simply touching a student for three to five seconds will deliver a high voltage shock causing loss of balance and muscle control, confusion, and disorientation bringing him to his knees and making him incapable of further annoying activity.

Do these places teach study techniques? Or do they just load pages and pages of notes onto you?

Having good study techniques is the most important thing. I've since forgotten all mine, but they served me well for the leaving cert. If the institute doesn't offer that then don't bother, you'll just end up with a 10 foot stack of printed out notes, and not a clue what to do with it.

Are you goin into 6th year, or repeating?

i went to the institute for extra maths, biology and french on the weekends for 6th yr.
the main impetus, however, was the ultimate babe who sat in front of me on the bus on the way in each weekend, and then in front of me in biology.

i found the biology classes great, but the rest of it was fairly tedious.

Institute was deadly,kissing posh girls and pretty much getting told what was on the leaving.
Recommended.

kirstie said:
It later transpired that this mostly involved drinking pints with whiskey chasers in Bartley Dunnes and signing herself in as things such as the border fox and dessie o'hare.

this made me laugh many times over

Us McDermott's have no respect for authority, learned at our fathers knee. I once got into huge trouble in primary school for singing 'I just called to say I hate you' at Mrs Crean, the evil Irish dancing teacher instead of 'I just called to say I love you' and when I got home and told my folks, they laughed like drains for about 2 hours.

GORILLAMUNCH said:
this made me laugh many times over

nlgbbbblth said:
I thought this thread was going to be about strawberry picking at The Institute in Co Wexford.

Roisin and _egg should know what I mean.

Its closed down now, always wanted my house to be shaped like that weird building that was up there. poor auld Dennis Kennedy has no where to drive his white high ace no more. Its a slaney building supplies now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back