The Hold Steady (1 Viewer)

I disagree, the new one could well put you off as it's half good, half shite.

Mark I reckon you should start with Seperation Sunday, best one if you ask me.

Actually I don't hate them as much as I did, they grew on me. Saw them at a festival and the (smallish) crowd was going mental for them, and Craig whathisface looked like he was going to propel himself into the crowd at any second and cover them in kisses to thank them for their support. Which was nice.

I disagree, the new one could well put you off as it's half good, half shite.

Mark I reckon you should start with Seperation Sunday, best one if you ask me.

I think it's their best too but Boys And Girls In America is probably the easiest one to get into/most accessable.

Been listening to "Almost Killed Me" a lot lately, last song on it is a great tune (I played guitar on that song when they played the music centre last year).

I probably said how much I hate them on that other thread, but there's no harm in doing it again. They're rubbish. Every song is about smoking dhrugs and this is supposed to make him some kind of lyrical genius.
The odd woah-ohhh is enjoyable, as all woah-ohhs are. That's the extent of their appeal to me.

can i be the indie snob and suggest that you listen to lifter puller? it's essentially the same band or so i'm led to believe but i think they're a bit better. less ... bluesy or something? their albums are kind of hard to get mind. otherwise i'd go with seperation sunday. i didn't like boys and girls in america so much.

can i be the indie snob and suggest that you listen to lifter puller? it's essentially the same band or so i'm led to believe but i think they're a bit better. less ... bluesy or something? their albums are kind of hard to get mind.

All of their albums proper are out of print but I think Soft Rock, which is a compendium of virtually everything they put out bar their final record, is gettable. Craig fronted them but Tad, who now plays lead guitar for the Hold Steady was on bass.

Craig whathisface looked like he was going to propel himself into the crowd at any second and cover them in kisses to thank them for their support. Which was nice.
I'm afraid that's all part of the act, and if you see it more than once it gets kinda annoying, as he says EXACTLY the same lines between songs at every show.

It's got to the stage where I can't bear to see them live anymore, I really didn't enjoy them at ATP.

divisive!!!
i'll go for separation sunday. they do a 4 song set on that 'don't look down' thing on pitchfork TV which i quite like so i'd say the new album sounds decent.

I'm afraid that's all part of the act, and if you see it more than once it gets kinda annoying, as he says EXACTLY the same lines between songs at every show.

It's got to the stage where I can't bear to see them live anymore, I really didn't enjoy them at ATP.

really? weird! he's a strange one, he was all over the place with the mic and looked a bit unhinged really. He looks like a drunk science teacher doing karaoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back