The Guardian books you must read before you die thread (with a bit Marylin horn thrown in) (3 Viewers)

Those book lists are compiled by people that don't have a fucking clue about sci-fi and fantasy. Not a fucking clue.
Even the guardian one, which has a shedload of books, only really has a handful of classics in the sci-fi + fantasy section, and misses a horde of amazing books. Plus, there are so many books listed there that are just 'pretty good' - Joe Haldeman's Forever War for instance.
The Heinlein book, they choose Stranger In A Strange Land. This book is one of his only books that garnered any kind of reputation, yet I could name at least 3 books by him that would be on a list AHEAD of that one. Time Enough For Love is probably his greatest book, but hey, that didn't cause any real controversy when it was released.
They're actually even MORE clueless about fantasy, which has been enjoying an incredible renaissance in recent years arguably sparked by George RR Martin. No Steven Eriksen, who over the last 10 years has written possibly the greatest fantasy saga ever.
Neither list has a single Jack Vance book = These people are hipster book fuckheads.
Didn't see any Gene Wolfe in there either. (Edit: Spotted the Book of the New Sun. Gene Wolfe should be getting at least 2 or 3 other books in that list)
Fucking fools. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't make a stupid fucking list.

Edit: "Terry Pratchett - The Discworld Series" = Totally lazy bastards making a list.

I was quite happy they included (Or I think they included) Camp Concentration which is one of my favourites. But you're absolutely right.

What the hell did you study that made you read all of Finnegan's Wake??

My Masters was in Philosophy and Post-colonial Literature. But we only had to read a very small portion of Finnegan's Wake. At the time I kind of wanted to be a Joyce scholar, and I read all of it in the year before I started my MA.

Wow! Two people have read Finnegan's Wake on thumped.

That's about 5% of the entire world readership. Might want to get onto this....

122 on the Guardian list but I probably cheated a bit as there are a bunch there that I honestly can't remember if I have read and am just assuming I did .....

I think they're faking it

no one has actually read this, they just pretend they have

marilyn-monroe-ulysses-2.jpg
She's skipped straight to the Molly Bloom chapter - typical bird.

And if that wasn't sexist enough, how good does she look in that pic??

The Naxos audiobook of Ulysses is read by Biship Brennan from Father Ted. If that doesn't make you want to listen to the whole thing, I don't know what will.

I found Finnegans Wake much easier to read the second time after I had read this:
Amazon product ASIN 0299108244
Possibly the best book about a book I've ever read.

I tried Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon and that defeated me. I thought it was far tougher than the Wake because there was almost enough plot there to fool you into thinking you could understand it whereas you start the Wake thinking you will never finish or understand it so I just let it wash over me the first time.

The Naxos audiobook of Ulysses is read by Biship Brennan from Father Ted. If that doesn't make you want to listen to the whole thing, I don't know what will.

I found Finnegans Wake much easier to read the second time after I had read this:
Amazon product ASIN 0299108244
Possibly the best book about a book I've ever read.

I tried Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon and that defeated me. I thought it was far tougher than the Wake because there was almost enough plot there to fool you into thinking you could understand it whereas you start the Wake thinking you will never finish or understand it so I just let it wash over me the first time.

What's the Amazon link?

I can't see it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back