The Guardian books you must read before you die thread (with a bit Marylin horn thrown in) (1 Viewer)

I've posted this before but you were probably off in a huff ignoring thumped at the time, we've all been there.

Anyway, the only list that matters:

The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge - How many have you read?

I did WAY better in that one: 220/339. Actually impressed with how Rory Gilmore I am now.

rory-book.png

i would've scored better if there'd been a few more tintins and john grishams
That's kind of the thing about these lists. Read one book by a 100 different authors and you appear especially well read, read 10 books each by 10 authors and you come across like a buffoon.

Yeah, some of it makes sense, like staples are there, but there's other stuff that's just.. bizarre and not even that good. I prefer Rory's list. I did better.

That's kind of the thing about these lists. Read one book by a 100 different authors and you appear especially well read, read 10 books each by 10 authors and you come across like a buffoon.

This has a lot to answer for

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, some of it makes sense, like staples are there, but there's other stuff that's just.. bizarre and not even that good. I prefer Rory's list. I did better.
haha

I think Rory's list shows a bit of character; it's probably just what Amy Sherman-Palladino was reading while making the show mixed with what she read and wished she read growing up but at least that's got a viewpoint.

A list like the Guardian's is trying to come across as impartial but a little inspection shows it's bias towards western and, well, dead white male's canonical works. Same as ever. Doesn't make it a bad list but at least admit your biases.

or whatever.

I wish i had read more of them :(

There's two James Lee Burke novels on it. I don't understand this. He's a contempory crime writer little known outside the genre. He's a good writer but hardly essential.

haha

I think Rory's list shows a bit of character; it's probably just what Amy Sherman-Palladino was reading while making the show mixed with what she read and wished she read growing up but at least that's got a viewpoint.

A list like the Guardian's is trying to come across as impartial but a little inspection shows it's bias towards western and, well, dead white male's canonical works. Same as ever. Doesn't make it a bad list but at least admit your biases.

or whatever.

I wish i had read more of them :(

Well said.

I liked that Rory's list had Judy Blume. Though not her best work *tut tut*

There's two James Lee Burke novels on it. I don't understand this. He's a contempory crime writer little known outside the genre. He's a good writer but hardly essential.
it's all over the shop, they chose the Tintin that might be the best one but only in the context of the rest of the series, and chose the first Asterix (i.e. the worst) because maybe no-one on their panel actually read Asterix as a kid?

It would be like me choosing a "best albums ever" and picking a Dylan and Led Zeppelin at random because I don't know their works but know they are in some way "important".

Last edited:
280 is pretty spectacular. Assuming she's read my 82 that's 200 classic books I haven't read...

I'd probably be a totally different person if I read them O_O

Share some knowledge @jonah

What a load of bolix. Mind you, if I finished every novel I'd started, I'd have read about half of those books. But then, I only started them to impress some lady, because that's what you're supposed to be reading, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back