• Soft Bulletin

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Yoshimi

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • At War With They Mystic

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
this is great, I agree with everything everyone is saying here, rep all round. Theres something for everyone and every mood in their discography.

Clouds Taste Mettalic is probably the most listened to around my way, but I think The Soft Bulleten is probably the strongest album... and yet I'm voting Zaireeka cause I still think it's amazing that someone did that... DVD 5.1 mixes is going to make obselette the sense of cermeony that goes into putting on Zaireeka, and so it goes...

but then Hear It Is is a good romp too... uh...

I've often thought of havng a Zaireeka Party, rent the upstairs of a pub, get 4 kick ass stereos, try and arrange some "visuals", blah blah blah... would people go for it, or would it be and a freaked out bar man listening to out of synhc psych pop in an empty room?

I bought Zaireeka, and attempted to play it once on my own....got three going at the sametime but had to pull apart the house for it to happen. Would love to hear it properly, but missing required enthusiasm... never thought the songs were as good as those of Soft Bulletin, which got my vote. An absurdly good album. Just truly excellent in the way it manages to be insanely likeable and really really exotica nd weird at the same time. Great songs too. "Race For The Prize" sounds so strange that you cannot help but be sucked in by it.

My favourite moment has to be the middle verse of "Suddenly Everything Has Changed" where it switches to 6/8 (I think) and the lyrics go "Driving home, the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape"... its magical. That song does so much in so little time,, the first verse, the chorus, the post-chorus fake string but, the reverby guitar riff, then the key change into the second verse!

Flaming Lips doing Crazy by Gnarls Barkley as an anti war song.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcxC5b8Ef-o[/MEDIA]

Get a touring guitarist to learn Ronald Jones' chops instead!

Ronald Jones didn't have chops! Ronald Jones had LSD for blood...

On the second disc of Fearless Freaks there's a peice about making Clouds Taste... lots of insane Super 8 footage, great stuff, at one point Ronald says "here's the Lynsey Buckingham guitar sound" and starts waving a slide aroud while struming further up the neck behind the slide... and the sound he creates, chimming bell like arppegios, all flowing and modulating... it almost bears no relation to what he's actually doing, it's like sheer will power along is making that sound

Also I'm convinced the guy played with broken leads/jack inputs on purpose to get sounds of them sounds... unreal...

But yeah the Lips need to move on with the live shows already...

My favourite moment has to be the middle verse of "Suddenly Everything Has Changed" where it switches to 6/8 (I think) and the lyrics go "Driving home, the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape"...
i was about to go for transmissions until i read this. that bit's amazing. all of the soft bulletin is amazing actually. i haven't listened to it in way too long now though

Seems quality skronky stuff. Although had I noticed this thread, I'd have gone for Hit to death in the future head.

anyone get the new one yet? had a first listen this morning - seems a bit tuneless, convinced of the hex is pretty good though, and see the leaves.

Getting some amazing reviews so it is. I'm very excited. Actually just reading this thread through is making me want to listen to the Lips again.

clouds taste metallic for me and soft bulletin. the one i listened to most back in the day (height of my listening powers) was hit to death in the future head.

i'd be into a zaireeka party.

i liked lots of yoshimi at the time but i've never gone back to it.

like shane, i thought AWWTM was good. i like the beatles-y song on it with the you've got to hold on lyrics, and the freak out one at the end: am gutterang or whatever.

fearless freaks is great. and what is it about that sound, the lynsey buckingham sound? he's right but i can't think why. something off tusk maybe?

Seems quality skronky stuff. Although had I noticed this thread, I'd have gone for Hit to death in the future head.

it's a good old fashioned dirge alright

about halfway through I got fed up of every song starting with an out of tune chord, a cough, someone jiggling a lead, etc, etc, etc... just seemed to labour it's improvised jam band nature a bit... but mostly once the tunes kick in it's brilliant

much rather be complaining about that then listing to that Yoshimi rubbish

Me too. I don't have all of their stuff but that's the one that I pull out now and again ...

like shane, i thought AWWTM was good. i like the beatles-y song on it with the you've got to hold on lyrics, and the freak out one at the end: am gutterang or whatever.

im gone off AWWTM again, theres a few good tunes on it i suppose. The bit that goes "but you think you're radical but you're not so radical in fact you're fanatical" is very catchy, and mr ambulance driver.

there albums seem to be buried under too much crap these days, or something like that. squelshes and buzzes and zingy harp sounds etc. likewise their live shows (which i havent seen since 2002 in fairness) seem to be buried under distracting bunnies and confetti and shit. i think perhaps wayne coyne has developed ADD.

did anyone get the christmas on mars soundtrack? its nice, all disney-ish stuff, not amazing or anything. i really liked the film

Facking hell. Didn't expect the new one to sound like that. :)
It's pretty cool but I couldn't imagine listening to the whole thing through without being in some kind of stupor.

A very long way from
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the album is fucking great. much less of the wayne coyne bullshit showman shite.
just good interesting atmospheric psychowakawaka rockablok

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ive listened to it the whole way through twice this week on the train. its a bit patchy, but i dont think we're meant to complain about that because its a double album etc. the bass playing is slightly annoying

ive only given it a listen once. waiting for the vinyl to come in. theres usually about 15% of flaming lips albums that are irritating anyways.

soft bulletin has been reissued on vinyl ltd edition by the way. i picked it up but it was 30 quid. nice pressing and gatefold cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back