Flaming Lips (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
So I watched Fearless Freaks last night, it's a pretty great film, IMHO... but it really shows that the band peaked with this record...

Flaming-Lips-Clouds-Taste-Meta-311113.jpg

...and maybe bits of the Soft Bulletin, though I think that record should be almost considered a Stephen Drozed solo album feautring Wayne on vocals... and Yoshimi... well lest said... anyhow by the time the film gets past Zaireeka (which is actually their best record, but who the hell can listen to it anymore then once a year or so???) it's lost steam and peters into wayne and his rather unconvincing blood on forehead gag that he has really murdered at this stage... actually one thing you really get from the film is how annoying Wayne Coyne must be in real life... like yeah he can be an amazing artist... but jeez can he bang on...

anyhow really interesting film, Drozd drug stuff is really startingly frank and honest, you gots to respect... their early music videos and artwork are still really really brilliant

this movie is a sore point with me.. ordered it aages ago. dying to see it. been sent the wrong order twice.

was transmissions from the satellite heart before or after clouds taste metallic? I like that album. guess I could look it up but I'm feeling lazy..

plug said:
this movie is a sore point with me.. ordered it aages ago. dying to see it. been sent the wrong order twice.

was transmissions from the satellite heart before or after clouds taste metallic? I like that album. guess I could look it up but I'm feeling lazy..

before

it's well worth the wait, though there are no music videos on it!!! some cut into the film but I really thought, especially with the second disc, they'd have all the videos... no doubt Warners will have that out next ear for another bag o' $$$

anyhow more discussion! or are y'all glued to yr Maximo Park CDs??

Have ye no' heard "Zaireeka" ? - mind-blowing shit and some of their best tunes too.

cyclotron said:
Have ye no' heard "Zaireeka" ? - mind-blowing shit and some of their best tunes too.

yeah, thats why I said it's their best record

:)

but I've only listened to it twice but, I don't have many friends...

[edit]

actually Dublin is really over due a Zaireeka listening party.... hhhhmmm...

cyclotron said:

I've had Zaireeka a couple of years now but have never had the necessary four stereos in the house at the one time.

What I've played of it sounds good but it's hard to get a handle.

Clouds Taste Metallic is the one I play most of all - so I guess that's my favourite.

Hit To Death is deadly also.

Those two reissues (the triple and double CD thingys) of the early albums I don't play too much though.

zaireeka - only ever managed three stereos on the go with that... twas fun sitting on the floor with my flatmate at the time though, nodding and going "1, 2, 3.. wait do we hit play on 3 or after..." etc.

I decided then I'd rip all the tracks, align them in cubarse, export each song as a single .wav and then burn a cd. cheating, I know.. :) then I got lazy halfway thru and never finished it.. that was a few years ago and the cd is still sitting patiently in my room.

it's a deadly cd for stealing samples off, what with all the seperation of the different song elements across the cds blah blah blah..

wonder if the new album will be much good. I wasn't that super ultra crazy about yoshimi in the end..

snakybus said:
Pantone, basically you're saying "I liked their early stuff but they've gone too commercial"

no, no, no I'm saying I like their mid-period stuff, now they've gone too... I don't know... Halmark???"

snakybus said:
I think Yoshimi's okay actually

I really wanted to like it, but I find it pretty dull... I guess I just love the broken down guitar sounds of Clouds Taste too much...

Last great thing for me was Drozd's stuff on The Soft B, the longer sparse instrumental streches are just lovely on that album

It's true
A Zaireeka get together is needed.

Agreed with the aforementioned statements. Clouds Taste Metallic and Zaireeka are the top of the pile.

Pantone247 said:
actually Dublin is really over due a Zaireeka listening party.... hhhhmmm...
Last one was about a year and a half ago, when A.T. is fully up and running I reckon it should be done....

last night I stayed there, we started at about midnight

one CD in a DVD coming out the telly

two stereos

and an i-mac

loud as hell... nice way to say good bye to the neighbours

Andy fell asleep.... ha ha ha ha, how do you sleep thru 4 stereos set on full blast??? That dude is HARDCORE

the dogs were amazing...

Hi all. I'm a nubile here.

If EVER there is a Zaireeka party in Dublin again, please PM me!

In fact, I might organise one myself. Hmm. I will let you know if i do.

Just after havin' a poke around the various forii you folks are busyin yourselves with...it's a fine little community you got here, i might just stick around. me in a nutshell- 30/m/Phibsboro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back