The eccentrics/weirdos of Dublin city hall of fame thread (1 Viewer)

back when i was selling the old tapes on the bridge his stall was there too. colourful days, you'd miss them.

however, i've been calling him woody for 18 years.

thanks pete.

His name is Woody. John Murphy who drinks in the Foggy, right? Visually awesome character, people always laugh at his default name! Anyway he's 46 this year - "same age as Sean Penn". Would consider him a friend, haven't seen him in a while. Hasn't been to the cinema since they stopped you smoking inside! Loves 'Rumblefish'. And Good Charlotte.

We have to be thinking of the same guy. I did a fas photography course with him last year. Very moody when he's off the drink...

this game confuses me. how are proper names in a dictionary? also, over here, 'magnums' are either big fuck off bottles of wine or a brand of condom....i read the story and said to myself, i says, i says "he's offering to buy them both a huge bottle of wine when he can't buy hisself a large bottle of vodka?"....you call ice cream cones magnums over there?

weeeeeeeeeeeird.

Bloody Canadians! Magnums are a really popular brand of ice creams. They're huge over here. They're like a glorified choc-ice.
Names in the dictionary are quite common, particularly in American ones like Webster's. Jack Ketch just means hangman nowadays. "OOoh, Jack Ketch'll get ya" etc.

anyone know the Defenestrationationestrenationist guy who walks around with old school plusfours and such?

always goes to the olive stand in the arcade.

he has a bike

i think i read somewhere that she wasnt bonkers but that she was actually protesting (in a strange manner) about something sad like her son dying in unusual/suspicious circumstances. im probably totally wrong though. i havent seen her for years. she sang silently into a crucifix too, didnt she.

I think there are two mad dancing people. There's one who looks slightly asiatic and engages in some parody of a traditional Japanesse dance on Grafton St in a red skirt. With an absolutely terrifying smile she twirls around, before bowing.

Then there's some variant of a god botherer who is trapped between a pained grimace and a smile clutching rosary beads. Once on the Iraq Day X blockade of the Dail someone let her on the microphone, she incited us to pray against the evils of sex and abortion.

Has anyone else seen the occasional PLAC throw back who marches on her own up and down Grafton St with a poster against abortion? She looks like a rural housewife from an early episode of Reeling in the Years.

I'm surprised this guy hasn't been mentioned but there's a dreaded English guy who sometimes wore a top hat that transerves an area from Thomas St to George St. His face is reddened from drink and its hard to gauge the age. He could vary from late 30's to late 50's. My mate thinks he's a new age type who settled here. He used to spend an awful lot of time street drinking shite cider from Lidl, contemplating his tragic aspirations to rock star status and stumbling around the place singing and shouting. He seems more together of late.

We saw an old farmer called Harvey in Kilkee last weekend. He had whiskey veins popping out all over the place and was splendiferously drunk. He was thrown out of the pub we were in three times, but people kept paying him to go back in. It was quite a spectacle.

Guy with huskies in Celtic jerseys- See him in Stephen's Green regularly. Props.

Dictionary guy- came up to us last week outside Ba Mizu. Claimed to be part of the Dublin Fringe Festival. Sound dude.

There's a few crazys in Rathmines for sure. The skinny aul one from Cork who dresses like a teenager, loves GAA and Roy Keane and hates everyone who isn't from Cork. Is opposed to people marrying from outside of their own county.

John the sax player, who uses a walking cane with hundreds of hair bands and scrunchies wrapped around it. Plays music in Mother Reilly's. Used to be a session musician and played on "Walking On Sunshine", London Calling, the Muppets theme tune and lots more. He carries a notebook that lists every artist he's worked with and song or album he's featured on.

There's a few crazys in Rathmines for sure. The skinny aul one from Cork who dresses like a teenager, loves GAA and Roy Keane and hates everyone who isn't from Cork. Is opposed to people marrying from outside of their own county.
isn't that everyone from cork?

His name is Woody. John Murphy who drinks in the Foggy, right? Visually awesome character, people always laugh at his default name! Anyway he's 46 this year - "same age as Sean Penn". Would consider him a friend, haven't seen him in a while. Hasn't been to the cinema since they stopped you smoking inside! Loves 'Rumblefish'. And Good Charlotte.

We have to be thinking of the same guy. I did a fas photography course with him last year. Very moody when he's off the drink...

yep, used see him in the Foggy Dew a lot over the years .
a cult figure.

celbridge is home to many a person myself and my good mean friends have named:

1. horse lady - looks like a horse
2. mills and boons lady - fluffy jumpers, candyfloss hair
3. waynekarl - regularly screamed this loudly at her 2 kids
4. morality woman - looks holy
5. st etienne lady - looks like bob stanley and dressed like him too
6. The Gac - local prozzie
7. Satsuma Eyes and Banana Hands - oh god don't ask
8. Rat Face - the cuntiest dublin bus driver you will ever meet

King Goth, the dude with the black contact lenses.

That's jab, I believe. Full-on techno vampire clothing and elaborate mohawk-type hair? He's a good guy, have dealt with him professionally. He does some nice...motion graphics/interactive work.

i think i read somewhere that she wasnt bonkers but that she was actually protesting (in a strange manner) about something sad like her son dying in unusual/suspicious circumstances. im probably totally wrong though. i havent seen her for years. she sang silently into a crucifix too, didnt she.

where did you read that? id be genuinely interested in hearing about it.

yer man who plays the boudhran at molly malone is fucking hilarious
he cant play for shit, he looks like hes just snorted a fat line of ketamine and on top of that was pictured in the independent just after christmas '05 with a massive 62 inch widescreen tv he bought in the sales after queueing for 3 days!

That's jab, I believe. Full-on techno vampire clothing and elaborate mohawk-type hair? He's a good guy, have dealt with him professionally. He does some nice...motion graphics/interactive work.

ah that's the blonde bat! years ago at a phil kay stand up gig in the funnell he ripped the absolute shit out of him and started making jokes about him having a strip of welcome mat on his head. ahaha

what about fancy pants, the guy who works in the georges st arcade? Used to be a goth, now he appears to be a rav-ah

Anyone ever see the guy who wishes he was Billy Idol walking between city centre and Santry? Used to see him a lot a few months back at random times walking along,leather jacket and sunglasses,lip curled,carrying a back pack just walking along without a care in the world. Seen him a few times a day for a while.

The guy on the trike with the yellow helmet is Arthur, super guy. He's actually pretty smart,his sense of humour is pretty quick.

Rat Face - the cuntiest dublin bus driver you will ever meet

old bus driver on the 63 used to stop you getting off till he had seen yr ticket and made sure you hadnt stayed on more than you should have...if so he made you pay the difference.prick.tried it with a bunch of kids one day,one of em swung at him while the rest forced the middle door open and took off.

yep, used see him in the Foggy Dew a lot over the years .
a cult figure.

Did you know him on an intimate level too? His knowledge of punk is deplorable. He's only ever heard the Moby version of 'that's when I reach for my revolver'! He hates Wire! He loves Peter Tosh - "Bob Marley kicked him out because he was too good"! He's got the OCD, the ADD, the HDAD and any other number of compulsive orders. His lists are fascinating!

Gee, it feels a bit like I'm taking the piss. I'm not. I really like the guy. He was the only person on our fas course who managed to get full time work and he hardly ever came in!

Hilarious footnote about John - he once sold Ian MacKaye Fugazi t-shirts. Now top that folks!

Did you know him on an intimate level too? His knowledge of punk is deplorable. He's only ever heard the Moby version of 'that's when I reach for my revolver'! He hates Wire! He loves Peter Tosh - "Bob Marley kicked him out because he was too good"! He's got the OCD, the ADD, the HDAD and any other number of compulsive orders. His lists are fascinating!

Gee, it feels a bit like I'm taking the piss. I'm not. I really like the guy. He was the only person on our fas course who managed to get full time work and he hardly ever came in!

Hilarious footnote about John - he once sold Ian MacKaye Fugazi t-shirts. Now top that folks!

nah, spoke with him a few times when in the Dew, that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back