the death penalty. right or wrong? (1 Viewer)

Is the Death Penalty Right or Wrong?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Pete Brady

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I don't believe in death

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Somehow i dont think this is the only reason why the murder rate is higher. I really like the three strikes system in new york. Life should mean life. Not like in this country where you can be out in 10 years. I am not saying manslaughter deserves the death penalty but murder yes. When was the last case you heard of someone been incorrectly convicted of murder.

You say that the death penalty promotes a lack of sanctity for human life, well what does being eligible for parole after 10 years say to you ? Lets say you were thinking of killing someone, would you be more inclined to do it in a system where your life is ended as a result or where you would still have a large portion of your life left after serving time!

Simple solution is murder = life in prison, but this is not necessarily feasible !

yeah but the "three strikes" system doesn't just relate to violent crime but also to other felonies, which can also include petty theft. there's many things not to like about such systems. the most central irritating factor from a general point of view and paying no attention to individual cases of injustice and potential for corruption is the plain-faced simplicity of such policies. i mean it just stinks of election 'tough on crime' rhetoric. it ignores the causes of crime (whatever you interpret those to be) and, if a felony can be a relatively minor offence, then it also rejects that people can change and 'come good' if they can be sentenced to life for their third strike of robbing something no one gives a shit about or having some weed or something.

people are wrongly convicted of murder, as broken arm has pointed out. people are also fitted up for crimes, including murder - guilford 4 and birmingham 6 jump immediately to mind. then consider the lawrence inquiry in britain and numerous cops in the states caught on camera beating up black people. cops can be racist fucks and they're the people investigating crimes and providing evidence. no decent research into possible institutional racism in the gardai has ever been commissioned but various small studies, anecdotal evidence, and testimonies from victims and witnesses show that individual gardai are certainly not immune to racist thought and action.

now that's only racism. what about other prejudices, subtle and explicit, that produce unfair assumptions about/animosity towards an accused person? court judgements are riddled with examples of fucked up assumptions. courtroom conduct, police tactics, etc. aren't so verifiably documented so it's harder to tell unless detailed studys are conducted. but you can be pretty sure there's scope for individual forms of prejudice that lead to injustice and it's fair to say that it is at least possible that institutionalised prejudices may exist.

death versus 10 years in prison for murder: i would imagine that a person who kills another person would either think they won't get caught or doesn't even think in terms of getting caught/getting away with it.

if someone was to commit pre-meditated murder in cold blood then they would surely be thinking that they can get away with it. they won't want to be killed as a result, they won't want to spend 10 years in prison as a result. the former is a larger price to pay than the latter but if they think they're gonna get caught then they probably won't do it or come up with a better plan so they don't get caught. that's assuming a logical mind and the absence of total stupidity but both of these frames of mind suggests a lack of awareness of the consequences anyway, i reckon.

so ignoring mental illness, heat-of-the-moment actions (where the consequences are not thought about), and self-defence (where the consequences are considered secondary to the preservation of one's own life) we are left with psychopathic behaviour.

psychopathic behaviour that leads to murder must occur fairly infrequently in the scheme of things and therefore is hardly worthy of capital punishment (which applies to the possible actions of everyone in society) because deciding who's the psychopath is fallable. assuming of course that you could ethically condone the killing of someone who you know is definately a psychopath, which falls into the sancitity of life/playing god/etc. ballpark.

the point is that before you even come to this ethical conundrum there are so many weak-points and uncertainties in the legal process which would seem to be impossible to overcome and guarantee that you were killing the 'right' person, whoever that may be.

some very good points there Dunchee.

I'm reading Patsy McGarry's book on Nicky Kelly at the moment.
A shocking indictment of a total miscarriage of justice. Gardai acted disgracefully, the judiciary couldn't stop thinking they were infallible.
The guy's life was basically put on hold for years. And I'm sure the psychological hurt will never go away.

At one stage in the narrative he tells of the Gardai giving him a hiding while in custody and calling him an 'atheist'. Just because he was a member of IRSP.

I'm reading Patsy McGarry's book on Nicky Kelly at the moment.
A shocking indictment of a total miscarriage of justice. Gardai acted disgracefully, the judiciary couldn't stop thinking they were infallible.
The guy's life was basically put on hold for years. And I'm sure the psychological hurt will never go away.

At one stage in the narrative he tells of the Gardai giving him a hiding while in custody and calling him an 'atheist'. Just because he was a member of IRSP.

dublin libraries said:
Title Display

RCN: 1905785046
Author: McGarry, Patsy
Title: While justice slept, the true story of Nicky Kelly and the

Sallins train robbery

Format: Paperback
Copies: 13

Copy Availability

Library Shelf location Status Due Back
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ballymun On Loan 13/01/07
Cabra On Loan 13/01/07
Central Library - ILAC On Loan 13/01/07
Charleville Mall On Loan 13/01/07
Coolock On Loan 13/01/07
Drumcondra On Loan 13/01/07
Irish Collection On Loan 18/01/07
Kevin Street On Loan 13/01/07
Mobiles - City On Loan 13/01/07
Pearse Street On Loan 13/01/07
Raheny On Loan 13/01/07
Rathmines On Loan 13/01/07
Walkinstown On Loan 13/01/07

a popular book. is it well written?

read gerry conlon's 'proved innocent' years ago. very well written i thought and very shocking too. might dig it out again.

a popular book. is it well written?

read gerry conlon's 'proved innocent' years ago. very well written i thought and very shocking too. might dig it out again.

wow, all due back the same day,

yes, it's well written and quite ordered in its structure. The errant Gardai are not named which I found unusual as they were in an earlier book by Gene Kerrigan and another person (can't remember name) which came out in 1984.

worth a read yes.

Somehow i dont think this is the only reason why the murder rate is higher.

That's cool man, but like I said, I've just done a bunch of study on this shit so I'm not gonna quote it as my own, but research has shown that they don't have a higher death penalty because of higher murder rates. Why do you think they might have higher murder rates?

I really like the three strikes system in new york. .

The three strikes system has been proven to be costly and ineffective (I'm not being a bleeding heart abolitionist here, it's true). To the best of my knowledge it's a Californian buzz and they don't use it in New York.

Would you believe that things like increased policing, such as the Garda Reserve, has been consistently proven *not* to have any effect on the crime rate? This is a policy that our minister for justice, the dude responsible for taking care of crime, is advocating. I can't emphasise enough how much he ignores the truth of what doesn't work. I don't mean to be patronising at all but there are certain measures that appeal to public sensibilities (and I know Dunchee has said this already so this may seem redundant discussing it again) that just don't make any sense. They're irresponsible policies that politicians use to play on people's irrational fears of crime (so irrational, garnered by the media) in order to gain confidence in voters. Jesus. This sounds so abstract I know but from my own experience, and from what I've learned over the past couple of years, things like the 3 Strikes policies are political posturing akin to that of increased policing. None of them actually address the fact that people experience crime and don't want to.

I really don't think the death penalty serves any purpose. I, personally, amn't expecting it to but generally the argument for it says it should, and that it has a point. I'm yet to be convinced otherwise.

Life should mean life. Not like in this country where you can be out in 10 years. I am not saying manslaughter deserves the death penalty but murder yes. When was the last case you heard of someone been incorrectly convicted of murder
Now you just sound like a tabloid quote dude
what someone else already said well.

this was in yesterdays guardian

America turns its back on death penalty after botched lethal injection of killer

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Number of condemned at lowest point for 30 years as opinion begins to change[/FONT]

"The death penalty is inconsistent with evolving standards of decency," an official commission reported. New Jersey would be the first to take such a step since capital punishment was restored.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1986546,00.html

I personally agree with the death penalty, as long as its not abused of course. In Saddam's case I think the fucker deserved to die. He himself was a great believer in the death penalty, taking it upon himself to kill hundreds of thousands of people during his reign, and not just people he thought guilty of crime, but family members of those he was trying to control. I find it sickening that people are so outraged that he was hanged. If anyone deserved it he did. I even had a workmate state "and he was so dignified at the end". I find that scary. His execution is dwarfing the heinous crimes he committed and his execution has turned him into a matyr. And I do respect that other people differ in opinion but I very rarely heard those people being so vocal about Saddam's implementation of the Death penalty.

I really like the three strikes system in new york.

But sure, the judges job is to weigh up the circumstances of the crime and dole out an appropriate sentence. That, aside from keeping order in the court, is the reason for their existance.
The three strikes system takes that job away from the judge and assigns an arbitrary sentence to offenders instead, which may or may not be fair. And that ain't right.

'Penalty' makes it sound like an inconvenience like a mosquito bite or 100 lines. They should rename the death penalty 'Ultimate Justice' and have only one judge with their own theme and special costume tune allowed to pass sentence of ULTIMATE JUSTICE. And they should be killed by being shot into the sky full of explosives and flares so that when they go the whole world knows that justice has been served.

'Penalty' makes it sound like an inconvenience like a mosquito bite or 100 lines. They should rename the death penalty 'Ultimate Justice' and have only one judge with their own theme and special costume tune allowed to pass sentence of ULTIMATE JUSTICE. And they should be killed by being shot into the sky full of explosives and flares so that when they go the whole world knows that justice has been served.
The judge should wear a feather-based costume. And possibly a beak of some description.

And I believe the criminals should be cleaned to death.

im intrigued to know what it is you deem a 'general crime.'

the molestation of young children?

serial rape?

yes la la thats exactly what i mean ! Sure throw buggery and having long hair in there as well.

All i can say is that i am pro death penalty, its an opinion that is all! Although for the crimes you have mentioned the sentences are often far too lenient

All i can say is that i am pro death penalty, its an opinion that is all!

How can you be so blithe about such serious matters of justice? About matters of life and death? It's peoples' 'opinions is all' that allows corrupt systems and poxy penal policies to persist (I have a degree in alliteration you know).

Although for the crimes you have mentioned the sentences are often far too lenient

What are the sentences? And what would harsher sentences entail and achieve? It sounds leading but I'd honestly like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back