the death penalty. right or wrong? (1 Viewer)

Is the Death Penalty Right or Wrong?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Pete Brady

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I don't believe in death

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dn_cringe.jpg

the arguments are to complex and culturally aligned to be put into a poll.

but, somehow, I agree with this decision.

lets write essays. or papers for the postgrads.

How does one answer yes or no to a multiple choice question? Is yes right and no wrong or vice versa? I think I might just have to vote Pete Brady.

I used to be totally opposed to the death penalty. Nowadays I'm not as black-and-white about the world, but the only situation I can think of where the death penalty would be justified would be if it proved impossible to effectively imprison someone (like if they kept busting out and killing people)

I think the punishment should fit the crime! Lets take the guy in the uk who killed 5 women in cold blood. Why should he get to live for 25 years in a comfortable prison, and know that he will be free one day! Maybe (and only maybe) the death penalty is too far but a prison should not be a good place to go. At the end of the day some of the facilities prisoners have access to is a joke. Why the fuck do they have tvs ! gyms etc Fuck it you broke the law here is a shit infested cell with nothing but a bog and an over friendly man called clarence

The problem here is some of the same people who fight against the death penalty would also fight for human rights! I do think that in some cases the death penalty is justified. But Saddams situation is not a simple arguement. Yes, he deserved to die for what he has done to 1000's of people in the past, but the way it was done was incredibly wrong, and cannot be justified! (not the hanging, but how he came to power, who supported during this time, and ultimately who he was handed over to etc)

Well you're thinking about punishment. How about treatment/rehabilitation? Too bad that it's easier to get votes by waving around fists than talking about books and shit.

Convince the felon to do it themselves. Saves money, creates jobs, gives janer all the time he wants to say as much as he wants. everybody's happy.

I should'nt say this but last night a i dreamt someone told me Janer had a daughter and called it Janet. I'm still laughing but i dont know why.

I think the punishment should fit the crime! Lets take the guy in the uk who killed 5 women in cold blood. Why should he get to live for 25 years in a comfortable prison, and know that he will be free one day! Maybe (and only maybe) the death penalty is too far but a prison should not be a good place to go. At the end of the day some of the facilities prisoners have access to is a joke. Why the fuck do they have tvs ! gyms etc Fuck it you broke the law here is a shit infested cell with nothing but a bog and an over friendly man called clarence

)

Isn't it a bit of a tabloidism to assume prisons are comfortable?
In fact I'd guess most are the opposite and in need of reform.
Being deprived of freedom is a pretty severe punishment for a human and even if the place was a hotel, it would get old pretty quickly if you were in for a long time.

For me the best argument against the death penalty and continuing to treat people with dignity in prison even when they don't deserve it, is the chance, however remote, that they may be innocent. We can never know for sure
and it would be too great a tragedy to risk. While alive they may be exonerated and if their incarceration can be made any less hellish , all the better. Plus for minor crimes you want to give people a chance to rehabilitate.

the arguments are to complex and culturally aligned to be put into a poll.

but, somehow, I agree with this decision.

lets write essays. or papers for the postgrads.

No joke I just wrote about ethics of the death penalty in my exam today, which is why I can't reply to this thread without feeling ill.

What everyone else said.

its very easy to talk about treatment/rehabilitation for general crimes but murder...tough shit

What is murder though? The number of possible circumstances under which it can occur is infinite, each less or more 'justifiable' than the next.

I really would like to know what killing someone as punishment is supposed to achieve. I mean, the death penalty is not a deterrent for murder. It's not like someone's walkin around bored, considers doing a murder and then decides not to in case they get the death penalty. The taking of human life is a massive, massive responsibility and I think it's too fucking sacred a thing to just bandy about because we can't figure out what to do when we're faced with 'capital' offences. Also what 1000 Smurfs and Broken Face just said... you can't never be sure.

Factoid: the murder rate is higher in US states where they have the death penalty, quite possibly because there is an institutionalised lack of sanctity for human life.

Factoid: the murder rate is higher in US states where they have the death penalty, quite possibly because there is an institutionalised lack of sanctity for human life.

Somehow i dont think this is the only reason why the murder rate is higher. I really like the three strikes system in new york. Life should mean life. Not like in this country where you can be out in 10 years. I am not saying manslaughter deserves the death penalty but murder yes. When was the last case you heard of someone been incorrectly convicted of murder.

You say that the death penalty promotes a lack of sanctity for human life, well what does being eligible for parole after 10 years say to you ? Lets say you were thinking of killing someone, would you be more inclined to do it in a system where your life is ended as a result or where you would still have a large portion of your life left after serving time!

Simple solution is murder = life in prison, but this is not necessarily feasible !

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back