The best gig ever to take place in Ireland ever (1 Viewer)

So was anyone older than 21 at the best gig to ever take place in ireland?

I'm just wondering if anyone's choice as best ever gig(s) isn't coloured by being very young at it. There seems to be a lot of gigs from 1988-1991 or so being chosen. It's not a bad thing i'm just curious.
i didn't see the necks play live until i was 28. i've seen them about a dozen times since. their christchurch cathedral gig in november 2014 was a high water mark for me. i was 40.

Sufjan Stevens in The Helix was amazing.

The previous one in the Olympia (particularly Impossible Soul) was near-religious experience levels of catharsis good, but that was definitely coloured by some outside factors for me at the time, so I'm probably not the best judge.

i didn't see the necks play live until i was 28. i've seen them about a dozen times since. their christchurch cathedral gig in november 2014 was a high water mark for me. i was 40.
25 when i first saw mats gustafsson blow solo; 27 when i saw john tilbury play feldman & cardew; 42 when i finally saw stars of the lid play a gig that was memorable for the right reasons.

Never far from being a topic of discussion in my mind...the Weezer gig in Vicar St in June 2005 deserves a mention.

The gig itself I can remember very little about. We barely got past the entrance door to the venue area. One of my contacts fell out as they were walking on stage so I was half blind.

But the vibe around Dublin leading up to that gig was just magic. I hadn't quite moved down permanently, but had finished up at Queens that summer and was spending a lot of time here. (I remember sitting in Belfast during the London bus attacks in July, I moved days after that).

I can remember the buzz in the room and the pure excitement and happiness people had when they walked out and started into Tired of Sex.

That gig is the ultimate happy reminisce for me. Those long summer days. Pints with good people. Gigs. So good.

For pure fun this one was just brilliant

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A few years ago (I may have told this story here before) it went like this:
- In Tescos in the morning
- Randomly picked up Kerrang!
- Saw ad for Ratt on tour of Europe (didn't know about it)
- Noticed a Belfast gig
- What it's TODAY!?
- Spend next couple of hours trying to call the Spring & Airbrake to find out it it's on or not, is it sold out etc
- Jumped in car and drove to Belfast
- Not that many people there
- Spent the gig in the front row
- Had a fucking ball
- Drove home
- ALL BY MYSELF

It was a good Ratt line up too.

Never far from being a topic of discussion in my mind...the Weezer gig in Vicar St in June 2005 deserves a mention.

The gig itself I can remember very little about. We barely got past the entrance door to the venue area. One of my contacts fell out as they were walking on stage so I was half blind.

But the vibe around Dublin leading up to that gig was just magic. I hadn't quite moved down permanently, but had finished up at Queens that summer and was spending a lot of time here. (I remember sitting in Belfast during the London bus attacks in July, I moved days after that).

I can remember the buzz in the room and the pure excitement and happiness people had when they walked out and started into Tired of Sex.

That gig is the ultimate happy reminisce for me. Those long summer days. Pints with good people. Gigs. So good.
I know I was there and I enjoyed it but I had totally forgotten about it until I read this post.

I'm kind of afraid of ever seeing Weezer live, those first two albums meant so much to me as a teenager there's no way a gig would live up to what it needs to be in my brain.

having said that

I went to see the PresidentsoftheUSA doing their debut album on Paddy's Day in Vicar Street a few years back and it was one of the best gigs ever. Everyone in the crowd was the same age as well which was kind of funny.

I went to see the PresidentsoftheUSA doing their debut album on Paddy's Day in Vicar Street a few years back and it was one of the best gigs ever. Everyone in the crowd was the same age as well which was kind of funny.
I saw them in the TBMC and they were incredible. It was stuff from all their albums (I have the first three, not sure if they have more?) and it just rocked. Absolutely great fun and the place was jammed with people just really enjoying themselves. It was bleeding hot though, I'm not sure how much of my clothes were drenched in my sweat or that of everyone around me.

I've been keeping quiet on this thread because I put the book together with my friend Michael Murphy. You can buy it if you want www.hopecollectiveireland.com
We asked a load of people what their favourite gigs where. I put 70 response together as a fanzine mentioned here Hope *2 fanzine
The rest were people involved in various ways in music in Ireland and the responses go from the 60's through 2013. It was a bit of fun putting it all together and every cent from sales goes to Irish Red Cross. If I didn't ask you, sorry.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Metallica, Point Depot 1991
Black album tour, first tour in the round. Not their greatest musical moment but the atmosphere and excitement in the venue was something else. I don't think I've experienced anything like it since.
First gig I was ever ever at. I was wondering if it was objectively amazing or bathed in first-gig glow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back