The best gig ever to take place in Ireland ever (1 Viewer)

Monotonix (eh think that's their name??) in Crawdaddy was fuckin brilliant for similar reasons to the above, aside from the band being class anyway, everyone of them wandered about in the crowd whilst playing (the drummer actually got people to help him move the drums during songs and ended up playing on top of the bar), total class. The guitarist climbed up to the balcony on people's heads and all

I have particularly fond memories of the Grates in Whelans in 2006. The entire "alt music fans" of Dublin were at Radiohead at Marley Park or the RDS or somewhere that night so even people who might have checked them out out of curiosity weren't around, only around 50 people at the gig i'd say. It was a tiny little party with balloons and all. They never came back.

Mind you I also thought Alphabeat in Whelans were amazing so wtf do I know.

The Icarus Line at the POD 2002 - This and every other time i was lucky to see them things got broken.

Atari Teenage Riot - TBMC - maybe the only gig ive been to where the crowd work actually hostile and i didnt quite understand why, yet Alec E crowdsurfed across them to the bar because he could.
Foos Olympia 99 - before they went bad.
Wannadies - Whelans.
D4/Parkinsons- Whelans
Battles POD

ive not been on thumped in about a year...im sorry

Mind you I also thought Alphabeat in Whelans were amazing so wtf do I know.

their singer complimented my (then) 6 month old daughter on an airplane, so they're alright in my book.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Juliette Lewis & the Licks at Voodoo Lounge.

I almost went to that for the laugh until i saw tickets were about 40 euro.

The Icarus Line at the POD 2002 - This and every other time i was lucky to see them things got broken.

Atari Teenage Riot - TBMC - maybe the only gig ive been to where the crowd work actually hostile and i didnt quite understand why, yet Alec E crowdsurfed across them to the bar because he could.
I saw The Icarus Line at the TBMC with The Dillinger Escape Plan and another band (possibly one of the DEP guys) where the singer had a helmet made of dildos. It was memorable (Icarus Line were terrific).

Also, I was nearly at that ATR gig but got turned away for being too young. I really loved them and was gutted.

Let's also not forget when Kelly Osbourne played the Village.
I was there, my wife and I took her younger sister. It was real bad.

Nina Nastasia was down to do the Douglas Hyde gallery one time but for whatever reason the place became unavailable and they moved it to one of the old exam halls. Really spooky venue but it had terrific acoustics. By far the best I've ever seen her.

Sufjan Stevens in the Douglas Hyde was another interesting one. Where he had the big map of Michigan and the explanations between songs were about as long as the songs themselves.

The Animal Collective gig in Whelans, when they were meant to play Tripod but were late cos they missed the ferry- so they ended up playing Whelans at about midnight. Twas fucking amazing...

jaysus, forgot about that. I missed it. It seemed only people actually in whelans at the time, or people who knew someone who knew, and got a text about it, went.

The tour bus broke down or something. The bus driver was that lad from Kerry who used to put on gigs as Twisted Robot. I remember being introduced to him at a gig in Kennedy's one night. Can't remember his name. Wonder whatever happened him.

I saw The Icarus Line at the TBMC with The Dillinger Escape Plan and another band (possibly one of the DEP guys) where the singer had a helmet made of dildos. It was memorable (Icarus Line were terrific).

Also, I was nearly at that ATR gig but got turned away for being too young. I really loved them and was gutted.
Think that was there second gig here.

The band with the dildos was called Shat, how could you forget..lol I remember they were selling their new album that had about 60 songs on it. But yeah memorable, have some pre digital pictures somewhere.

Yes! Completely drew a blank on the name despite me and my mate having a good laugh about them for years. They sang a song about "Guinness beer", it was dreadful.

You know I almost @'d you because I can't think of them without thinking of you giving out about them. Don't worry, they've gone away now.

Top of my head contributions:

King's X in the SFX 1990
Practically empty, I went sort of knowing one album. Blew me away, fan for life etc

AC/DC & King's X in the Point 1991
My first love and my new love together. It was almost too much. I was into AC/DC for 10 years at that stage yet this was my first time to see them. Because King's X were supporting we were there stupid early but that also meant we were in the pit with loads of room while people not 10ft behind us were being crushed. Unbelievably exciting gig which started the day before when I spotted Doug and Jerry from King's X in Burger King on O'Connell st. I went in and chatted to them then walked to O'Connell bridge chatting all the way. A few weeks later Doug sent me a 12" single with a hand written note "Thanks for being there". I later found out that they were having an awful time on the European tour. Still have it.

Marillion in the SFX 1985
I was 14, I loved Marillion still do. Enough said.

Metallica, Point Depot 1991
Black album tour, first tour in the round. Not their greatest musical moment but the atmosphere and excitement in the venue was something else. I don't think I've experienced anything like it since.

Teenage Fanclub, Feile in the Point 1996?
Teenage Fanclub were stuck on last after Foo Fighters, Manic Street Preachers etc. Most of the crowd left after the Foos so you could easily stroll up the the barrier and just watch them. They didn't seem to care and were just perfect.

I'm sure there's more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back