chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
The best film ever?
BY JAMES CHRISTOPHER
Finally Citizen Kane has been knocked off its perch, as Halliwell's list of the Top 1000 films awards the No 1 spot to the 1953 Japanese classic Tokyo Story
trans.gif
0,,205337,00.jpg
trans.gif
trans.gif
NI_MPU('middle');

ONE of the most popular sports among film buffs is compiling the definitive list of greatest hits, an activity that reveals rather more about a person than they might care to admit. For a critic it’s like being asked how much you are paid. People’s eyes glaze over at your brilliant and utterly obscure choices. They wince at your passionate case for Withnail & I. And they are horrified that you haven’t seen Once Upon a Time in the West. Mostly they wonder how on earth you got the job.

But the arrival of Halliwell’s Top 1000 films “in order of merit” has confounded the expectations of the most ardent fan. With the exception of the last instalment of The Godfather Trilogy (1990), there isn’t a single film in the Top Ten that is less than 25 years old. The list, composed by John Walker, is erudite, meaty and dominated by vintage auteurs. There is hardly a frivolous bauble in sight. But I wonder how many pub pundits would have earmarked Tokyo Story as the greatest film? Halliwell’s bold and dramatic decision to nominate this “obscure” classic by the Japanese maestro Yasujiro Ozu flies in the face of conventional — or contemporary — wisdom. It’s a spectacular victory for those of us who believe that less is more. The film is as bare as one of Aesop’s Fables. It sits at the top of the pile, as inscrutable and compelling as a three-line haiku.

A fresh print of Ozu’s film was unveiled at the NFT in January last year, and I was lucky enough to catch it. The crusty 1953 stock has been digitally remastered, the subtitles given a good dusting and the soundtrack beautifully retuned. The spare wonder of Ozu’s masterpiece is that his characters and plot are as plain and honest as old shoes. The film is a portrait of a scattered, grown-up family who put on their Sunday best when their elderly bumpkin parents travel to meet them in Tokyo. The excitement of the genial old couple is salted by a gradual and unspeakable awareness that they are an expensive and time-consuming inconvenience. The humble grace with which Chishu Ryu and Chieko Higashiyama accept the drift between themselves and their impatient children would make stones weep.

The original release was totally unmatched by anything happening in Western cinema. It took 19 years before the film percolated to America. The critics were stunned. They still are. Ozu would rather die than impose a jazzy sleight of hand. His camera barely moves from the sitting position adopted by his elderly stars, and the dialogue rarely rises above small talk. You leave the cinema feeling that wisdom is a bleak blessing. That kind of emotional stock is what divides Asia and Europe from the commercial hell of Hollywood.

Halliwell’s Top 1000 is not alone in championing the spartan merits of this singular film. Sight & Sound hailed Tokyo Story as “one of the three greatest films of all time”. To pound Renoir’s La Règle du Jeu (1939) into second place is something you can normally achieve only with a wrecking ball. If the maestro were still alive (he died in 1963) he might even have cracked a smile. I wouldn’t bet on it, though.

Well done, Mr Walker. Precious few would have dared to elevate Ozu to such dizzy heights. But I’m seriously concerned about several of your other Top Ten choices. Francis Ford Coppola’s Godfather Trilogy (No 4) was beginning to suffer lethal doses of déjà vu by the time it crawled into Part III some 16 years after the end of Part II (1974). I’d be tempted to nudge the director’ s hallucinatory Vietnam folly Apocalypse Now (1979) into the same slot.

I’m not sure, either, how thrilled Alfred Hitchcock would be to see Vertigo (1958) steal his artistic thunder. His favourite film according to Philip French, who grilled him mercilessly about such matters for the BBC, was The Lady Vanishes (1938), starring a sparkling Margaret Lockwood and dapper Michael Redgrave. And the perverse inclusion of Billy Wilder’s ghastly comedy Some Like It Hot (1959) at No 9 makes me seriously wonder about the glaring absence of “modern” talent.

True, I live in terror of having to name my all-time favourites, and most buffs have an odd habit of putting films in the cellar to see how they age before pronouncing on their worthiness. But I’m not sure I can wait a quarter of a century to find out if Groundhog Day will finally cut the mustard.

Halliwell’s Top 1000 is published by HarperCollins on June 13 (£17.99)

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14931-1645927,00.html

The movies you must see before you die
BY JOHN WALKER
The compiler of Halliwell's list explains his choice

MAKING a list of the thousand greatest films and then putting them in order of merit could be seen, I suppose, as a pastime somewhat similar to trainspotting — the anorak activity, that is, and not Danny Boyle’s drug-fuelled movie, which comes in at No 243, just below Brighton Rock and ahead of Blue Velvet.

The book wasn’t intended as a symptom of delayed adolescence, though I did find myself chanting the mantra of Trainspotting’s Renton — “Pain and craving. A need like nothing I’ve ever known will soon take hold of me” — in brief moments of daylight before plunging back into a darkened room for another fix of cinematic delight.

It was essential to see again the best films made since 1915, the date of the earliest contender, D. W. Griffith’s The Birth of a Nation (No 232). It may now seem dated, as does Trainspotting for that matter, and unpleasantly racist. Karl Brown, its assistant cameraman, rightly called the story “the usual diatribe of a fire-eating Southerner”, but it retains an innovative and irresistible sweep and power.

Hollywood may be upset to find that the top three films were made by directors from Japan, France and Britain. Critics who regularly vote Citizen Kane the greatest of films may not like the fact that I have put it sixth.

But Kane has been bettered — although it remains my favourite film, partly because, from the 20-odd years I spent working in Fleet Street, I recognise the accuracy of its portrait of a megalomaniac. And I identify with Joseph Cotten’s critic, asleep over his typewriter.

Writing about critics’ reactions to the TV soap-opera Crossroads, the 1970s epitome of wobbly sets and wobblier acting, an academic researcher claimed that it was wrong to take no account of the feelings of viewers. Apply that to the cinema and the greatest movie would probably be Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith, closely followed by Titanic and the other five Star Wars films (the original trilogy can be found at No 70).

This variance may result from most audiences’ limited experience of film. They go regularly from their teens, stop in their late twenties and tend to think that cinema begins and ends with their own immediate experience.

It would account for the fact that users of the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) rate The Shawshank Redemption as the second greatest film, whereas it doesn't even appear in Halliwell’s Top 1000. Conversely, Tokyo Story, rated as the best in Halliwell’s, is not in the IMDB’s Top 250. The quietly reflective Tokyo Story does not conform to current fashion. It contains no car crashes or explosions. There is no frenetic cutting from one moment to another. There are no fancy camera angles, vertiginous panning or crane shots.

Page 2: What the movie-lovers say What the movie-lovers say

Barry Norman, film critic
If you’re going to have these kinds of lists, by all means stick Tokyo Story at the top. If you’re in the right mood it’s a wonderful film, and to some extent forgotten.

Sandra Hebron, director of the London Film Festival
I’ve watched it over and over and will continue to do so. If this makes one more person watch it, I think that’s great.

Hamish McAlpine, head of Tartan Films
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a film that’s grabbed me as much emotionally. It’s a reaction against all the histrionic cinema which we’ve been bombarded with for the past 20 years.

Chris Auty, head of the Film Consortium
Of course I’ve seen it, it was very influential, but you’d be surprised at the huge number of executives on both sides of the Atlantic who’ve hardly seen any classic films.

Geoff Andrew, film critic
How wonderful, it’s so much nicer than choosing something like Pulp Fiction. It’s a very ordinary story that is more honest about life than most Western films.

Julie Burchill, columnist
I saw a Tokyo Story review the other day and thought ‘I must see it’, but I just ended up watching soaps.

Colin Vaines, executive vice president of European production and development, Miramax.
If you considered yourself a film buff, you had to see it. Its humanity and simplicity had a profound influence on a generation of film-makers.

Jeremy Vine, presenter
I haven’t seen it.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14931-1645922,00.html

Halliwell's best movies 1-100
These are the films to pack for your desert island holiday. Just don't forget your DVD player adapter plug
trans.gif
NI_MPU('middle');

1. Tokyo Story
Japan, 1953, Yasujiro Ozu

An understated, beautifully composed classic of domestic disillusionment from the most classical and contemplative of directors. In his formal concentration on everyday family life, Ozu discovers universal truths about the human condition. Here, an elderly couple face the painful fact that they are a burden to their children and grandchildren. But the most devastating comment comes at the end of the film, from their daughter: “Isn’t life disappointing.” But at least Ozu never disappoints.

2. La Règle du Jeu
France, 1939, Jean Renoir

It took more than 20 years for Renoir’s film to be recognised as his masterpiece. It was originally banned as demoralising, but remains triumphantly, morally bracing and richly comic. The subject matter of a thousand boulevard comedies — a shooting party at a country mansion, where everyone is preoccupied with love affairs — becomes a devastating portrait of the society of his time; snobbish, racist and mendacious, whose obsessive frivolity leads to death and destruction.

3. Lawrence of Arabia
GB, 1962, David Lean

The real hero is the director David Lean, in overcoming immense difficulties to create an overwhelming epic. O’Toole, a great actor at his charismatic best, achieves both Lawrence’s bravado and his disenchantment.

4. The Godfather Trilogy
US, 1972, 1974, 1990, Francis Ford Coppola

It is the first two parts of the trilogy that make it a classic. Nevertheless all three have all the fascination of a snake pit: a warm-hearted family saga except that the members are murderers.

5. The Seven Samurai
Japan, 1954, Akira Kurosawa

The greatest of all samurai films is a superbly strange medieval adventure. The film later served as the basis for the western The Magnificent Seven but they pale in comparison with this vivid and violent drama.

6. Citizen Kane
US, 1941, Orson Welles

Although the movie’s technical innovations might now seem run-of-the-mill, Orson Welles identified and exposed a type of megalomaniacal media mogul who is still with us today. Every line is utterly absorbing.

7. Raging Bull
US, 1980, Martin Scorsese

Robert De Niro’s dazzling performance in the title role encompasses both La Motta as a savage fighter and his later incarnation as an overweight would-be comedian. Scorsese brought to the film what he called a “kamikaze” approach, in which he put everything he knew and felt.

8. Vertigo
US, 1958, Alfred Hitchcock

Hitchcock used a combination of a forward zoom and a reverse tracking shot to create a feeling of vertigo in this double identity thriller: as unsettling as the phobia it dealt with. Hitchcock’s study of an obssessive and haunted love is the darkest of his films, and the best.

9. Some Like It Hot
US, 1959, Billy Wilder

A milestone of film comedy that keeps its central situation alive with fresh invention. Marilyn Monroe was worth all the trouble, and Curtis and Lemmon are a brilliantly contrasting pair. “Nobody’s perfect” is the last line, hilarious in its context but, on this occasion, cast, script and director all were.

10. 8½
Italy, 1963, Federico Fellini A coruscating, melancholy, self-reflecting spectacle of a man beginning to be at his wits’ end. Marcello Mastroianni, who used many of Fellini’s characteristic gestures and tone of voice, saw his role as a “symbol of a generation that had nothing more to give”.

Page 2: 11-55

11. Doctor Strangelove
GB, 1963, Kubrick

12. Singin’ in the Rain
US, 1952, Kelly

13. Taxi Driver
US, 1976, Scorsese

14. The Searchers
US, 1956, Ford

15. The Seventh Seal
Sweden, 1957, Bergman

16. Sweet Smell of Success
US, 1957, Mackendrick

17. Sunset Boulevard
US, 1950, Wilder

18. The Third Man
GB, 1949, Reed

19. The Apu Trilogy
India, 1955, 1956, 1959, Ray

20. Les Enfants du Paradis
France, 1945, Carné

21. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
France/Spain/Italy, 1972, Buñuel

22. Andrei Rublev
USSR, 1966, Tarkovsky

23. The Passion of Joan of Arc
France, 1928, Dreyer

24. Viridiana
Spain/Mexico, 1961, Buñuel

25. Toy Story
US, 1995, Lasseter

26. Rashomon
Japan, 1951, Kurosawa

27. Wild Strawberries
Sweden, 1957, Bergman

28. To Be or Not to Be
US, 1942, Lubitsch

29. Sunrise
US, 1927, Murnau

30. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
US/New Zealand, 2001-3, Jackson

31. 2001: A Space Odyssey
GB, 1968, Kubrick

32. The Battle of Algiers
Algeria/Italy, 1965, Pontecorvo

33. Alexander Nevsky
USSR, 1938, Eisenstein

34. Belle de Jour
France/Italy, 1967, Buñuel

35. Casablanca
US, 1942, Curtiz 36. GoodFellas
US, 1990, Scorsese

37. Tristana
Spain/Italy/France, 1970, Buñuel

38. The Magnificent Ambersons
US, 1942, Welles

39. Breaking the Waves
Denmark/Sweden/ France/Netherlands, 1996, Von Trier

40. Sullivan’s Travels
US, 1941, Sturges

41. Frankenstein
US, 1931, Whale

42. The Battleship Potemkin
USSR, 1925, Eisenstein

43. Double Indemnity
US, 1944, Wilder

44. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
US, 1975, Forman

45. Weekend
France/Italy, 1968, Godard

46. Jules et Jim
France, 1962, Truffaut 47. À Bout de Souffle
France, 1960, Godard

48. Bonnie and Clyde
US, 1967, Arthur Penn

49. Wings of Desire
France/West Germany, 1987, Wenders

50. Fitzcarraldo
West Germany, 1982, Herzog 51. If . . .
GB, 1968, Anderson

52. The Wild Bunch
US, 1969, Peckinpah

53. The Red Shoes
GB, 1948, Powell, Pressburger

54. Annie Hall
US, 1977, Allen

55. Tom Jones
GB, 1963, Richardson Page 3: 56-100

56. On the Waterfront
US, 1954, Kazan

57. West Side Story
US, 1961, Wise

58. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
GB, 1960, Reisz

59. The Grapes of Wrath
US, 1940, Ford

60. Great Expectations
GB, 1946, Lean

61. The Leopard
US/Italy, 1963, Visconti

62. Schindler’s List
US, 1993, Spielberg

63. Ashes and Diamonds
Poland, 1958, Wajda

64. A Nous la Liberté
France, 1931, Clair

65. Antoine Doinel Tetralogy
France/Italy, 1959-79, Truffaut

66. Mr Smith Goes to Washington
US, 1939, Capra

67. Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday
France, 1953, Tati

68. Laurel and Hardy Shorts
US, 1928-38, Parrott/Horne/Kennedy/Marshall/French/Blystone

69. Chinatown
US, 1974, Polanski

70. Star Wars Trilogy
US, 1977/80/83, Lucas/Kershner/Marquand

71. Gosford Park
US/GB, 2001, Altman

72. Rear Window
US, 1954, Hitchcock

73. Aguirre, Wrath of God
West Germany, 1972, Herzog

74. A Short Film About Killing
Poland, 1988, Kieslowski

75. M*A*S*H
US, 1970, Altman

76. Viskningar och Rop
Sweden, 1972, Bergman

77. All the President’s Men
US, 1976, Pakula

78. Cabiria
Italy/France, 1957, Fellini

79. King Kong
US, 1933, Cooper

80. Gone with the Wind
US, 1939, Fleming, Cukor, Wood

81. All Quiet on the Western Front
US, 1930, Milestone

82. Fanny and Alexander
Sweden/France/West Germany, 1982, Bergman

83. North by Northwest
US, 1959, Hitchcock

84. The Band Wagon
US, 1953, Minnelli

85. Yojimbo
Japan, 1961, Kurosawa 86. Brief Encounter
GB, 1945, Lean

87. Deliverance
US, 1972, Boorman

88. Fargo
US, 1996, Coen

89. Cabaret
US, 1972, Fosse

90. Once Upon a Time in America
US, 1984, Leone

91. Days of Heaven
US, 1978, Malick

92. The Adventures of Robin Hood
US, 1938, Keighley/Curtiz

93. High Noon
US, 1952, Zinnemann

94. His Girl Friday
US 1940, Hawks

95. Manhattan
US, 1979 Allen

96. Duck Soup
US, 1933, McCarey

97. Henry V
GB, 1944, Olivier

98. This is Spinal Tap
US, 1984, Reiner

99. Bad Day at Black Rock
US, 1955, Sturges

100. The Graduate
US, 1967, Nichols

i have a better list

1. Andrei Tarkovsky - Stalker
  2. Roman Polanski - Rosemary´s Baby
  3. Stanley Kubrick - Paths of Glory
  4. Godfrey Reggio - Koyaanisqatsi
  5. Roy Andersson - Songs from the Second Floor

-Irreversible (dir. Gaspar Noe)
-Time Bandits (dir. Terry Gilliam)
-Alice (dir. Jan Svankmajer)
-Harlod Pinter's The Birthday Party (dir. William Friedkin)
-Ghost World (dir. Terry Zwigoff)
-Threads (dir. Mick Jackson)
-TG Psychick Rally In Heaven (dir. Derek Jarman)
-Art Of Mirrors (dir. Derek Jarman)
-Monty Python's The Life Of Brian
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail
-A Clockwork Orange (dir. Stanley Kubrick)
-The Wicker Man (dir. Robin Hardy)
-Soel Contre Tous (dir. Gaspar Noe)
-Un Chien Andalou (dir. Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali)
-Scum (dir. Alan Clarke)
-The Tenant (dir. Roman Polanski)
-The Ossuary (dir. Jan Svankmajer)
-Repulsion (dir. Roman Polanski)
-Whitnail and I (dir. Bruce Robinson)
-Eraserhead (dir. David Lynch)
-Blue Velvet (dir. David Lynch)
-Performance (dir. Nicholas Roeg)
-Night Of The Hunter (dir. Charles Laughton)
-Faust (dir. Jan Svankmajer)
-The Incredibles
-Finding Nemo
-Lost In Translation (dir. Sophie Coppola)
-The Reflecting Skin (dir. Philip Ridley)
-This Is Spinal Tap (dir. Rob Reiner)
-Young Adam (dir. David Mackenzie)
-Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind (dir. Michel Gondry)
-La Haine (dir. Mathieu Kassovitz)
-Living In Oblivion (dir. Tom DiCillio)

my personal favorites. at the moment.

Baby Doll
Bella Loves Jenna
Betrayed
Blown Away
Blue Movie
Briana Loves Jenna
Cherry Pie
Conquest
Convention Cuties
Couples Vivid
Cover To Cover
Cum One Cum
Dangerous Tides
Deep Inside
Dinner Party Ultimate
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 23
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 27
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 29
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 30
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 31
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 33
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 35
Dirty Bob's Xcellent Adventures 37
Dream Quest
Elements Of Desire
Emotions Of Jenna Jameson
Exposure
F Zone
Fantasy Women
Flashpoint
Fluffy Cumsalot
Hard Evidence
Hell On Heels
I Dream Of Jenna
I Love Lesbians 4-play
I Love Lesbians 10
Jenna Exposed
Jenna From All Angels
Jenna Ink
Jenna Jameson Revealed
Jenna Jameson Untamed
Jenna Jameson's Wicked Anthology
Jenna Jameson's Wicked Anthology 2
Jenna Loves Rocco
Jenna Uncut And Uncensored
Jenna: Extreme Close-Up
Jenna's Built For Speed
Jenna's Playhouse
Jenna's Revenge
Jinx Wicked
Kiss Wicked
Krystal Method
Last Girl Standing
Lip Service
Mad About Jenna
Masseuse
Maxed Out 16
Maxed Out 9
My Plaything
On Her Back
Once In A Lifetime
Paradise
Phantasm
Philmore Butts Strips Down
Philmore Butts Taking Care Of Business
Photoplay
Planet Max 1
Priceless
Pure
Satyr
Silk Stockings
Silver Screen Confidential
Smells Like... Sex
Starting Over
Triple X 20
Up And Cummers
Virtual Reality 69
Virtual Sex With Jenna
Where The Boys Aren't 14
Where The Boys Aren't 16
Where The Boys Aren't 17
Where The Boys Aren't 7
Wicked One
Wicked Weapon

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back