The Beatles Remasters (2 Viewers)

Balls.
I'm sure nigglebit will loan them to me though.

Tips on how to care for your mono set (from Steve Hoffman forums)

The Beatles remasters (both stereo and mono) are beautiful; it's clear that great care was taken in their design and manufacture, and they should be handled accordingly. So . . . you've got the sealed Mono box in your hands.

1. Wash your hands. Do you really want fingerprints on the glossy black pages of the booklet? I didn't think so.

2. If you want to keep the shrink wrap on the box, take a razor (or use your nails if they are sharp enough) and cut the shrink wrap along the left, right and bottom edge of the box opening. Take your time, be patient and don't cut the box!! Now, you have a nice little flap that you can lift up and pull out the inner box holding all of the CD's.

3. Do you really want to read Ken Howlett's comments, and look at the pictures in the booklet? OK. Did your palms start to sweat when you saw the discs? Well, wash your hands again and carefully read the booklet. Finished? Great. Put it back in the box and don't take it out again.

4. All of the individual albums come in those nice resealable outer sleeves. So, for 6 of the titles, (PPM, WTB, AHDN, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver) that came in single pocket jackets, the artwork should never touch human hands. Just open the resealable sleeve, and slide the disc out in its plastic inner sleeve. 3 of the titles are gatefolds (SPLHCB, MMT and Mono Masters). If you want to look at the artwork, go ahead and take them out and look at em - nice, huh? Once you've finished, put them back in the resealable outer sleeve, and in the future, just take out the disc in the inner sleeve. The White Album and Beatles for Sale are tricky because the White album is a top loader and BFS is a pocket gatefold - my suggestion would be to keep these discs in their inner sleeves, but outside the jackets, so that you don't have to be handling the jackets all the time.

5. When handling those resealable sleeves, be careful. There is glue on the back of the sleeve, and if you place it on any paper surface (such as the pages of the booklet), you can tear the paper.

6. Are you a music server guy? Do you burn everything? Great! You never need to touch the discs again. Put them back in the jackets, seal the sleeve and never touch the artwork or discs again.

7. Do you spin the actual physical discs? That's OK. If you are incredibly organized, keep them separate from the artwork. If you are not that organized, keeping the discs separate from the artwork is very risky - remember, if you lose one disk, you won't be able to replace it. So keep the discs in the jackets,. Just remove them from the sleeves without handling the artwork. Those resealable sleeves last a long time!

8. After listening, always put the disc back in the sleeve and put the sleeve back in the box. LP Sleeve CD's are flat and thin - they can get lost among papers, in the pages of a book, etc.

9. Keep the box out of direct sunlight - that ink looks pretty good, but why risk it - ten years from now, you want that apple to be as green as it is today.

10. For heaven's sake, don't lend anyone any of the disks. Is a friend looking for the mono Pepper? Burn him a copy!!

Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.
Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?
Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!
Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.
Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.
Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?
Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.

DSC08065.JPG

DSC08067.JPG

Nlgbbbth is a lucky man all the same. Maybe Santy will be nice to me.

so how many versions of each album has there been now? good old racket all the same.

one of each??

or would it be one of each and let it be naked???

1987 CDs; that's all.

there was a 30th anniversary White Album which used the same mastering as 1987 disc.

Let It Be and Yellow Submarine got reconfigured so count as new albums.

To be honest Froog you would be better directing that question towards Elvis Costello.

i dont know well about other decades, but the 90's cest terrible for albums coming out, then a few months later the same with the 'full'/'extended'/'bonus' running order. i was only taking a hand there about the beatles - nitpicking (about any artist who have been successful in that way) - you could probably find 20 versions of any album. 1st issue (vynil/cd/8 track/minidisc/tape), then maybe three iterations of each of those, then the version with the poster, the bundled versions (surfer rosa/come on pilgrim), the tour versions..... i was just thinking along the lines, specifically with a few of those beatles albums, they wrote them once.

costello is despicable for releasing an album, then years later admitting he didn't bother putting 12 songs on it. i'd say with him too, i find maybe 3-4 albums sit really well as albums in the single work of art/piece sense of the word, and a lot of his others are very much 'what i did since last time i was due an album', or 'who i was hanging out with lately'

i dont know well about other decades, but the 90's cest terrible for albums coming out, then a few months later the same with the 'full'/'extended'/'bonus' running order.
roadrunner were particularly bad for that but that's what you get for listening to their shitty bands anyway.

you could probably find 20 versions of any album. 1st issue (vynil/cd/8 track/minidisc/tape), then maybe three iterations of each of those, then the version with the poster, the bundled versions (surfer rosa/come on pilgrim), the tour versions.....

the same album on different formats is surely ok? To cater for people's preferences.

it's the

original
early 90s remaster
mid 90s remaster
early 00s remaster
mid 00s deluxe edition

stuff that grates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back