The banks even more fucked up today (1 Viewer)

Mr Jane is a banker.

Ahh, now I totally understand why your posts have seemed so despairing in the last while.

And RSJ, when the time comes that only Limerick will have jobs you'll ALL be happy about it! (Says the guy who plans to get out of here as fast as possible..)

Banks fucked. We fucked. Scared. Bad scared.

I really never thought I'd be feeling so fucking desperate to see banks survive. I'm seeing homelessness around the corner for the first time since I was 17 and it's real.

Mr Jane is a banker.

He's okay for now, but the situation for banking in general is very bad, so we're worried.

Did anyone else see that doc on the 1929 crash the other night? I always knew there were eerie parallels between the 1920s and the 2000s, but christ almighty -- so fucking terrifying. Because what's happening now is *worse*. Plus, half the world is at war with each other.

Before this is all over, there will be more Madoffs and more Anglo-Irish scandals and the shit hasn't even hit the fan yet.

surely there are some in-laws you can impose on? even if they dont like you they'll hardly let the husband go homeless.

my colleague here keeps going on about how it took two years for the effects of the 1929 crash to really kick in and that since this latest crash is more serious we can look forward to a really shitty time around 2011. personally, i've always thought theres something very romantic about hobos. maybe we can commandeer a boxcar on the connolly-sligo train for all former subscribers to thumped where we can pass the bottle of meths. i think im still young enough to survive and enjoy a few years of bonfires, roast wild boar with apple sauce from apples stolen from an orchard, blackberries, homebrew, sleeping under a shady tree in summer, rutting in the cornfields, dancing at the crossroads etc. so long as everythings back to normal when im 40.

Plus, if this really is the new 1930s, there's probably a big meaty war around the corner, which will produce loads of great movies and books.

A friend of mine who is job hunting in the US was saying that maybe we'll get a 21st-century New Deal, but that she didn't know the first thing about building railroads. And then I reminded her that the people who build the railroads know the people whose job it is to 'tooooot tooooot' the train whistle, and therefore maybe she'd get a chance to have a go at that.

I also like Shaney's idea of becoming a boxcar hobo. From online to...on the line.

Oh boy, oh boy. Someone pass me a gin-soaked rag!

Bagsys being the new Woody Guthrie in the new hobo utopia.

surely there are some in-laws you can impose on? even if they dont like you they'll hardly let the husband go homeless.

We could stay with my dad in Italy probably, although the Contessa wouldn't be happy about it, and he's already been evicted from his church because he doesn't hate the gays. True story.

There wouldn't be any point staying in Dublin when we'd be better off going somewhere cheaper, and there aren't any other family members who would put me up because no one is allowed to talk to me. My dad still does because he doesn't buy into their bullshit, either.

Anyway, I would really prefer a boxcar.

We also decided that if everything goes all pear-shaped, we'll just move to a cabin in the woods or try to make our way to Argentina, where we were meant to go on our honeymoon anyway, which we never got to take because I lost my job and never got paid. So it would be like a twisted form of poetic justice or something.

Bankers,Contessa's,papa excommunicated from Italian catholicism,you disinherited?!

Jane,have you been reading too much Evelyn Waugh?

Bankers,Contessa's,papa excommunicated from Italian catholicism,you disinherited?!

Jane,have you been reading too much Evelyn Waugh?

I like to think of us as the sort of thing you would see if the Borghese family settled their scores on Jerry Springer. Like a John Cheever story with less yachting and more latent aggression.

The Contessa's okay, just a bit overbearing. She had to come up and fix the boiler on Christmas Eve. The Count had a stroke last year. Nice guy, but he kinda shuffles around the Palazzo like yer man out of Young Frankenstein.

Sure, it wasn't till the late fifties that the US came out of the depression.
Everyone should just join a band.
and spend more time drinking. The old saying, 'if you haven't any money, spend it in the pub'.

I also like Shaney's idea of becoming a boxcar hobo. From online to...on the line.

Oh boy, oh boy. Someone pass me a gin-soaked rag!

Shebeen chic? I wish the media frenzy re: the economic downturn would collapse. Nonetheless, 'major' news from Bank Of Ireland due tomorrow afternoon, apparently.

We could stay with my dad in Italy probably, although the Contessa wouldn't be happy about it, and he's already been evicted from his church because he doesn't hate the gays. True story.

There wouldn't be any point staying in Dublin when we'd be better off going somewhere cheaper, and there aren't any other family members who would put me up because no one is allowed to talk to me. My dad still does because he doesn't buy into their bullshit, either.

Anyway, I would really prefer a boxcar.

We also decided that if everything goes all pear-shaped, we'll just move to a cabin in the woods or try to make our way to Argentina, where we were meant to go on our honeymoon anyway, which we never got to take because I lost my job and never got paid. So it would be like a twisted form of poetic justice or something.

Here... if you're really stuck, why not move down to dear old Bournemouth next to the sea?

There are jobs here... jobs galore!

Selling sea-shell necklaces to dothery old ladies and serving tea and scones to mild-mannered gentlemen who reminisce about their days in the service.
And when they die, they will leave you a tidy legacy so you can then pursue your dream of knitting doll dresses and making tiny houses for your pet mice out of twigs you find while wandering barefoot in the New Forest.
And when this bothersome time blows over, you and your loved one can board on an ocean liner and set sail for the high towers of New York city where you will live out your days sipping pink champagne and dancing the charleston on marble floors under dazzling chandeliers.

Ah! Life here by the sandy shores sends you doolally - in a grand old way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back