Teleportation (3 Viewers)

Haven't you people seen The Fly for God's sake?
Or the Simpsons episode where Homer buys the teleporters?
Some things are better left alone.

Originally posted by snakybus
Dumbest thread of all time.

Trisky:

"How do you take a person apart to a molecular level without killing them? You can't."

Please explain why you can't. I'm dying to hear your scientific explanation.

Well, why don't you explain how it is possible if what I wrote is so stupid. This I'm dying to hear!

welllll, the clinical definition of "dead" is being pushed out all the time, there are some operations now where the body is pretty much drained of blood and the brain is dead but they are kept at low temp. and pumped back up again and are alive.
so i guess i'm saying that we might think ripping the body to molecular level might kill someone but who knows in the far future.
as hopper said - never say never.

Originally posted by Trisky

Well, why don't you explain how it is possible if what I wrote is so stupid. This I'm dying to hear!

I didn't say it's possible you nimrod. I just wanted to hear a valid explanation as to why it isn't. Just because something's highly unlikely doesn't make it impossible. If you're going to be absolute in your opinion about something, at least have some knowledge to back it up.

The conclusion to my thesis is: ask me arse
:p

Originally posted by Alex
From the mentioned article:

"My prediction is...it will probably be done by someone in the next three to five years, that is the teleportation of a single atom," he said. Dr Lam, who has worked on teleporting since 1997, said humans posed a "near-impossible" task because we are made up of a huge number of atoms.

"Never say never" is right but I have some doubts: say one day we'll have the technology to teletransport as many atoms as we want (this looks like a matter of memory and calculation capacity so it's likely one day we will), then it would be possible to teletransport any object as complex as a human being.

What does this mean? As Trisky says: break it down to a molecular level, keep track of all of those molecules and then put them back together faithfully at the other end.

So far so good...... but what about "life"? ???

A human being (as any living thing) is "olistic" which means it's something that goes beyond the simple sum of its components, do you agree?

My conclusion: if science will be ever able to give life to a tracking of molecules (which is nothing more than data), it would be also able to raise the dead !!!

Scary? naaaa, just not likely. (my opinion)

Can't say I agree with you there. If a human body is taken apart and put back together in exactly the same way again, then it is reassembled in an order whereby all molecules are working together to keep the organism alive. In something that is dead the molecular structure has broken down in some form whereby the systems of the organism no longer work.

And I don't think that taking a body apart to a molecular level and then reassembling it to exactly as it was before is killing it. Molecules don't die... organisms do..so if all the molecules of an organism are put back exactly as they were before, then the organism should continue as it was before, but thats assuming that that all molecules or atoms which are charged electrically maintain that charge..which I'm not to sure of.

I'm a Neeerrrrddd.

Originally posted by Alex
My conclusion: if science will be ever able to give life to a tracking of molecules (which is nothing more than data), it would be also able to raise the dead !!!

so what if that means it can raise the dead? is this a set-in-stone barrier of natural / physical law or is it more a human sensibility which makes it a problem?

not to pick holes alex, but this quote of yours is pretty interesting (for the nerd in me)

Originally posted by snakybus

I didn't say it's possible you nimrod. I just wanted to hear a valid explanation as to why it isn't. Just because something's highly unlikely doesn't make it impossible. If you're going to be absolute in your opinion about something, at least have some knowledge to back it up.

The conclusion to my thesis is: ask me arse
:p

You are right, Snakybus.
It is the dumbest thread ever.
We should ban all geek talk around here unless it is about Weezers new album or top ten hidden album tracks or the like.

I've been thinking more about this and I reckon the biggest problem here is not the whole life/ death thing but the static/dynamic question. A block of metal for example is static and if transported all molecules remain in the same positions relative to each other, but the human body is dynamic. The heart is thumping and blood is flowing, and so once the body has been reassembled everything will have moved to a new position and you'll basically get a big blob of shite.

Originally posted by Dan
I've been thinking more about this and I reckon the biggest problem here is not the whole life/ death thing but the static/dynamic question. A block of metal for example is static and if transported all molecules remain in the same positions relative to each other, but the human body is dynamic. The heart is thumping and blood is flowing, and so once the body has been reassembled everything will have moved to a new position and you'll basically get a big blob of shite.

sub atomic particles are always moving anyway, electons around nuclei and that for one thing.

the dynamic/static problem would always be there, according to heisenbergs uncertainty principle, you'd never know the exact position of a particle and know its velocity at the same time. that's why in star trek they have heisenberg compensators on the transporters kill me, kill me now

Heisenberg Compensators. I'd forgotten about them.

Apparently, the HUP (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, not the Wonder Stuff album) is taken into account, but a process of quantum 'entaglement' is exploited to surmount it.

for a brief explanation visit here

Ch'a Hi'gosh! (now THAT'S nerdful)

If people-teleporters existed I wouldn't use one. Here's why:

A science-fiction teleporter works by measuring the position and momentum of every particle in your body, taking all the particles asunder and reassembling them exactly as they were somewhere else.

But, as we know from our in-depth knowledge of physics, atoms are indistinguishable. There is no way of telling one oxygen atom from another - there is no difference between them, therefore one oxygen atom is *equivalent* to all other oxygen atoms.

Therefore, there's no need to transport the actual particles that made up the person - you can just take assemble the person from other atoms you have on the spot.

BUT then basically what you'd be doing is making a exact COPY of the person ... in fact you wouldn't have to disassemble the person at all, you could just take measurements and re-construct him/her at the other end ... and then you'd have TWO people who'd be identical (or equivalent) in every way.

Which would be the real one?

Even if you were deconstructed and then reconstructed like happens on Star Trek, would the person arriving at the other end be REALLY you, or just an exact copy?

I agree with egg on the would it still really be you, fear. I think think the folding space or creation of wormholes to transport yourself throughout the universe ideas are something better to aim for........ Or not. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back