Teleportation (1 Viewer)

having done laser physics and quantum crap in college i'm more interested in the "how". and as the man says, transferring a piece of laser light is completely different to transferring any solid matter. scientists are still arguing about what light is made up of - the whole wave/particle duality thing.

I've heard studies like this before...usually there's an awful lot of theory and assumptions used to make use of the word 'teleportation' plausable.

what am I saying here!?

what I mean is they usually mean teleportation in a loose sense.

I recal one where they were really just 'cutting' a light beam and 'pasting' a copy of it somewhere else.... recreation rather than teleportation......

Originally posted by rumpus
I've heard studies like this before...usually there's an awful lot of theory and assumptions used to make use of the word 'teleportation' plausable.

what am I saying here!?

what I mean is they usually mean teleportation in a loose sense.

I recal one where they were really just 'cutting' a light beam and 'pasting' a copy of it somewhere else.... recreation rather than teleportation......

that's why i'm curious about the "how".
having worked in a lab for a while you tend to bend the truth a little and use words creatively and make all sorts of assumptions and approximations.
sorta like scientific spin.
paticularly when the funding is running out or a paper is due.

erm the replicator isn't the same thing. it's turning energy into matter. (which would be cool).

the transporter is transferring matter from one place to another by disassembling it at the origin and reassmbling it at the destination.

spot the nerd.

Teleportation? Give me a break

I heard somebody say the following about teleportation once (I'm paraphrasing);
Imagine taking a glass of water and teleporting it, you would have to break it down to a molecular level, keep track of all of those molecules and then put them back together faithfully at the other end. There are more molecules in a glass of water than their are glasses of water in the worlds oceans. Now it doesn't really matter how you put the molecules of a glass of water back together as it will probably still be a glass of water, but a person?
How do you take a person apart to a molecular level without killing them? You can't.
Lets not waste our time with scientific wishthinking that will NEVER happen.

Dumbest thread of all time.

Trisky:

"How do you take a person apart to a molecular level without killing them? You can't."

Please explain why you can't. I'm dying to hear your scientific explanation.

Re: Teleportation? Give me a break

Originally posted by Trisky
I heard somebody say the following about teleportation once (I'm paraphrasing);
Imagine taking a glass of water and teleporting it, you would have to break it down to a molecular level, keep track of all of those molecules and then put them back together faithfully at the other end. There are more molecules in a glass of water than their are glasses of water in the worlds oceans. Now it doesn't really matter how you put the molecules of a glass of water back together as it will probably still be a glass of water, but a person?
How do you take a person apart to a molecular level without killing them? You can't.
Lets not waste our time with scientific wishthinking that will NEVER happen.

a scientist at the turn of the century remarked that although with larger and better telescopes mankind could tell the size and distance of stars, we would never be able to tell anything of their composition or chemical makeup. Then the mass spectrometer was invented a few years later.

moral of the story - never say never trisky

From the mentioned article:

"My prediction is...it will probably be done by someone in the next three to five years, that is the teleportation of a single atom," he said. Dr Lam, who has worked on teleporting since 1997, said humans posed a "near-impossible" task because we are made up of a huge number of atoms.

"Never say never" is right but I have some doubts: say one day we'll have the technology to teletransport as many atoms as we want (this looks like a matter of memory and calculation capacity so it's likely one day we will), then it would be possible to teletransport any object as complex as a human being.

What does this mean? As Trisky says: break it down to a molecular level, keep track of all of those molecules and then put them back together faithfully at the other end.

So far so good...... but what about "life"? ???

A human being (as any living thing) is "olistic" which means it's something that goes beyond the simple sum of its components, do you agree?

My conclusion: if science will be ever able to give life to a tracking of molecules (which is nothing more than data), it would be also able to raise the dead !!!

Scary? naaaa, just not likely. (my opinion)

Snakybus,
do you really think that you could take a person apart into millions and billions of molecules and for that person to survive the process? Remember you would be breaking every single molecular bond in their body and then trying to somehow put the billions of pieces back together in the right order without adverse effects to the subject.
Seems like science fiction to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back