Swedish House Mafia (4 Viewers)

A little unfair to blame swedish house prix for this. What about snoop dogg et al, they were on the bill as well. I know for sure I wouldn't go to a Snoop concert unless in an ironic 'yeah, bitches ain't shit' kinda way.

Sir, – Over four days in June 1932, more than 300,000 men, women and children knelt and prayed before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament in the Phoenix Park. Just 80 years and one month later, thousands of young Irish people got drunk, vomited and copulated in public, also in the Phoenix Park. We have grown up and no longer fear the belt of a crozier or the swish of a soutane. Éireann go brách! – Yours, etc,

Rev OLIVER SKELLY,

Coole, Mullingar,

Co Westmeath.

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224320206473

1224320063780_1.jpg

Dudes face in the background haha

it was the fault of people who had shitty education and outlook, but it's THEIR CHOICE.
i think that's what she said, anyway.

They have the same access to education as any of us do, and the same opportunities - better opportunities in a lot of cases since there is more help available to people from "disadvantaged" backgrounds than those who have working parents, although many hardworking families are living at or below poverty levels.

Yeah, I think showing up to a concert with a hammer, knife or other weapon is definitely a "choice", as is going around randomly attacking strangers.

And we as a society don't hold people who behave like this accountable, we make excuses for them, laugh about it, point fingers at each other. They're autonomous beings with free will and they chose to make life crappy for others, to destroy, damage and steal, to harm others. Instead of trying to improve their own lot they are trying to ruin life for everyone else. Messed up thinking.

They have the same access to education as any of us do, and the same opportunities - better opportunities in a lot of cases since there is more help available to people from "disadvantaged" backgrounds than those who have working parents, although many hardworking families are living at or below poverty levels.
you've touched on something they lack there though - the role models of hardworking parents. the notion that you learn at an early age that you work for your keep.
the sindo article annoyed me because the sindo (from what little i know) is good at blame and not much else.
generally speaking, people don't grow up to be scumbags in a vacuum.

(yes, i know you can't grow up in a vacuum).

you've touched on something they lack there though - the role models of hardworking parents. the notion that you learn at an early age that you work for your keep.
the sindo article annoyed me because the sindo (from what little i know) is good at blame and not much else.
generally speaking, people don't grow up to be scumbags in a vacuum.

(yes, i know you can't grow up in a vacuum).

Yes, not having good role models doesn't help (again not a problem unique to the disadvantaged), but I still firmly think it is the lack of accountability that is to blame. The parents are equally lacking in responsibility, and excused from the results of their own inaction or bad behaviour. Parents of delinquent children should have to do community service with their kids, or go to parenting classes or something.

I love the old wans around the Liberties. I've seen little 80 year old's face up to drunken and violent 50 somethings as if they were badly behaved 5 year olds (which they probably remember them as) with 'Johnny, if your ma could see you now... well, you wouldn't be able to sit for a week!' And said angry drunk hang his head, mumble apologies to all round, mutter 'Sorry Mrs X' and stagger dejectedly away. No turning a blind eye for them.

a friend of mine is a teacher in a primary school in a disadvantaged area. i don't think she'd agree with the statement that the kids sometimes have better advantages in these areas. on one level, maybe; but a lot of that extra assistance has dissolved in the last few years, and was a rearguard action to begin with.
she said that it has been said to them that the best thing they can do for a lot of their kids is provide a safe, constructive environment for them a few hours a day - i.e. away from their families.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back