superman returns (4 Viewers)

oh shit

dali_Christ_of_Saint_John_of_the_Cross.jpg

indeed

the now mandatory for comic-book movies "theme-to-prove-we're-serious" explores judeo-christian themes of the messiah, asking questions like, what his place in the world would be today, and indeed, where has he been in recent american experience, with references like people falling from burning buildings, a space shuttle disaster, a jet crash, and the usual superman theme of rampant capitalism destroying the planet.

problem is, brandon routh can't really handle it. his best moments are when he impersonates christopher reeve's clarke kent, his superman is a little too shallow and lacks the force of personality (and sense of humour) that the character needs.

the second problem is the one superman always faces: how to come up with a suitably challenging problem. only superman 2 did that well, 3 and 4 were absurd, and this one is kinda lame too. throwing a big rock into space doesn't really do it for me.

the special effects are amazing, and the action sequences for the most part are exhilarating. kevin spacey, rachel bosworth, parker posey, and eva marie saint were all great. the plot twist is a bold step and led to a genuinely moving moment.

it lacks the self-effacing wit of the 1978 film, which sinks it. coincidentally that's just started on channel 5. sweet.

oh shit said:
the now mandatory for comic-book movies "theme-to-prove-we're-serious" explores judeo-christian themes of the messiah, asking questions like, what his place in the world would be today, and indeed, where has he been in recent american experience, with references like people falling from burning buildings, a space shuttle disaster, a jet crash, and the usual superman theme of rampant capitalism destroying the planet.

problem is, brandon routh can't really handle it. his best moments are when he impersonates christopher reeve's clarke kent, his superman is a little too shallow and lacks the force of personality (and sense of humour) that the character needs.

the second problem is the one superman always faces: how to come up with a suitably challenging problem. only superman 2 did that well, 3 and 4 were absurd, and this one is kinda lame too. throwing a big rock into space doesn't really do it for me.

the special effects are amazing, and the action sequences for the most part are exhilarating. kevin spacey, rachel bosworth, parker posey, and eva marie saint were all great. the plot twist is a bold step and led to a genuinely moving moment.

it lacks the self-effacing wit of the 1978 film, which sinks it. coincidentally that's just started on channel 5. sweet.

You're right about this stuff, but I was with the movie enough to get past these things. My biggest problem was with Spacey. He's just a crazy property developer and nowhere near the adversary that Terence Stamp and co. were.

I disagree with you about Routh. I thought he was very good. I think he got the balance right. I don't think a Superman with a sense of humour would be that good. Spiderman gets pretty annoying when he's cracking jokes all the time.

You could nitpick the film to pieces (Superman and Clark Kent return to Metropolis on the same day after a 5 year absence and STILL nobody makes a connection?) but when you get that shot where Clark Kent runs out into the street and rips open his shirt and you see the 'S', it's very difficult to not feel like you are 7 years old.

I thought the first thrid was outstanding. The plane/space shuttle scene is one of the best action sequences I've ever seen. It slowed up badly in the middle but picked up again towards the end. 3.5/5

There were a bunch of guys in a group wearing Superman outfits when I saw it, when the trailer for Spiderman 3 cam on one of them hopped out his chair and ran down the aisle before doing a reasonably impressive tumble onto the ground to a reasonable round of appluase.

That reminds me, what the fuck is up with people clapping in the cinema?

Unicron said:

I've never witnessed that in Dublin.

Every single time I've been to the cinema in the states (east coast, west coast, wherever) there seems to have been a trio of black women up the front shouting "Hercu-LES, Hercu-LES!!"

I found it sort of endearing. I'd love to bump into them during a screening of The Seventh Seal or similar.

Wilbert said:
I disagree with you about Routh. I thought he was very good. I think he got the balance right. I don't think a Superman with a sense of humour would be that good. Spiderman gets pretty annoying when he's cracking jokes all the time.

i dunno man, the first line he has as superman is lifted directly out of the 1978 film (when superman catchs lois and then the helicopter and safely sets them down on the roof) and for me, he totally blew it! superman doesn't wise crack but when reeves did the overly sincere lines he always had a wry smile which totally defused the corny-ness... i just didn't get that feeling from the new one.

ps the other really funny line was also lifted from the 78 movie!
lex to moll: what did my father tell me?
moll: get out?
lex: before that...

yeah people clapped at the end when i saw it, something to do with opening day showings, i guess they're getting confused with premieres, or maybe they think the characters in the movie can somehow hear them... who knows... muppets

Unicron said:
I thought the first thrid was outstanding. The plane/space shuttle scene is one of the best action sequences I've ever seen. It slowed up badly in the middle but picked up again towards the end. 3.5/5

There were a bunch of guys in a group wearing Superman outfits when I saw it, when the trailer for Spiderman 3 cam on one of them hopped out his chair and ran down the aisle before doing a reasonably impressive tumble onto the ground to a reasonable round of appluase.

I haven't heard clapping in a cinema since I was a kid. When I was about 8 or 9 people used to clap at the end of films all the time. The only time I've ever seen it happen since was at the end of Toy Story 2, but then I remembered the director was there.

I saw The Phantom Menace in New York in the most beautiful cinema I've ever been in; The Ziegfeld. If any of you have seen the Woody Allen film Celebrity, it's used for a premiere in that.

Anyway, when R2-D2 was thanked by Queen whatserface, the audience gave him a round of applause!!!!!!
R2 fucking D2?!?!?!?

There were people clapping at Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (electric boogaloo) Assholes.

Super Dexta said:
be glad ye didn't see michael collins in dunmanway cinema - people stood up and cheered.

How does that end again? As I recall it ends on a bit of a bummer. So people in Cork love their Irish nationalism do they? People in Westmeath love their big fat slobbering anthropomorphic dogs so they do. Love it.

Super Dexta said:
be glad ye didn't see michael collins in dunmanway cinema - people stood up and cheered.

Or braveheart in Dundee.. mental amount of applause and cheering. As my flatmate was english he was the quietest I'd ever seen him on the way out.

As for superman.. I really enjoyed it. I also thought brandon routh was great.. he carried it for me, along with the always good parker posey. It did seem almost like singer was remaking the old one though, maybe with a view to eradicating the shame of 3 and 4 (it's meant to be set after the end of the second one isn't it).

Really quite moved at the end too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back