[Sunday Business Post] Irish music industry hit by downloading (1 Viewer)

Letters and punctuation marks can also be reproduced in endless combinations but that doesn't make works of fiction exempt from copyright.

If "society" has decided anything it's that creators of musical works enjoy exclusive ownership rights over those works, which they may licence at a fee and that anyone who unlawfully copies the work is in breach of the law - see the Copyright and Related Rights act 2000.

Exactly - copyright is a temporary right granted by society (in the form of the government) to the creators of the works. It's not some absolute, inalienable, allah-given right.

Lots of people doing something does not constitute a decision by society.
Not automatically, but it can. We sometimes call this strange concept "democracy"... or is it democrazy?

People just want to continue to use stuff for free and are inventing elaborate arguments to justify that.
I'm not trying to justify anything. I just don't like people saying "stealing" and "theft" when they mean "copyright infringement".

The suggestion of a flat rate "music tax" on broadband connections has been suggested more than once, something like the blank tape levy in canada(?).

This will never happen, not because it's unfair to anybody who doesn't pirate, but because the ISPs wouldn't let it - it opens the door for a similar "movie tax" and "software tax" to be levied on broadband connections.

Apples and oranges. That ones and zeros have no inherent value is not the issue, it's that they can be infinitely reproduced at no cost, regardless of what they are combined to represent. "Society" has decided that money is a fixed value asset to be used in transactions, but seems to be deciding that it doesn't see music in quite the same way.

Society also decided that people have the right to own intellectual property.
What about a pdf of a book?

Mp3's will always be available for free. It means that the potential for recorded music will always be available for anyone to download.

Not if the record companies get together and find a workable DRM solution that covers digital downloads and cds.

This will never happen, not because it's unfair to anybody who doesn't pirate, but because the ISPs wouldn't let it - it opens the door for a similar "movie tax" and "software tax" to be levied on broadband connections.
arrrrr

I'm not trying to justify anything. I just don't like people saying "stealing" and "theft" when they mean "copyright infringement".

Why does this single semantic nugget bother you so much especially when looked at from an ethical perpsective it is absolute theft whether or not the law acknowledges it as such?

I predict that in five years' time, CDs will be sold in the same quantities as tapes are now. The crystal ball is also hinting that Vinnie will fall for a dark, handsome stranger, but warns that he is not The One.

Where did you get the 320kb mp3s btw?
People were constantly recoding shit quality mp3s to 320kb so that they could get around restrictions on the likes of Oink etc.

It probably was Oink. But that happens to me a lot, I'll buy a record on vinyl and pick up on things that I've missed previously on MP3 or in the case of one album that I can remeber CD.

Exactly - copyright is a temporary right granted by society (in the form of the government) to the creators of the works. It's not some absolute, inalienable, allah-given right. .

Temporary? 70 years after the life of the aithor, or whatever it is, is as good as permanent for the purposes of our discussion here.

Why does this single semantic nugget bother you so much especially when looked at from an ethical perpsective it is absolute theft whether or not the law acknowledges it as such?
Because as soon as you call it theft it completely changes the context of the argument.

The ONLY reason that books aren't in the same situation as cds is because people like having a physical paper book in their hands. There have been plenty of attempts to market ebook readers and the like, all of which have limited market impact because reading on a screen, colour or not, is shit compared to having the paper book. Some would say this is just the packaging, whereas I'd argue it's part of the joy of a book. This is part of my point about the record companies making cd packaging so shit.

That's not the point. I'm trying to counter the specious absurdity of trying to copyright zeros and ones, which ignores that those zeros and ones represent a distinct creative work.

Temporary? 70 years after the life of the aithor, or whatever it is, is as good as permanent for the purposes of our discussion here.
and duration of that temporary 70 year right is itself subject to the whims of the people / legislature... unlikely as that may sound.

From here : http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/10/listeningpost_1029

Talk to almost anyone in the music business' vital indie and DJ scenes and you'll encounter a uniformly optimistic picture of the vinyl market.

"I'm hearing from labels and distributors that vinyl is way up," said Ian Connelly, client relations manager of independent distributor alliance IODA, in an e-mail interview. "And not just the boutique, limited-edition colored vinyl that Jesu/Isis-style fans are hot for right now."

Pressing plants are ramping up production, but where is the demand coming from? Why do so many people still love vinyl, even though its bulky, analog nature is anathema to everything music is supposed to be these days? Records, the vinyl evangelists will tell you, provide more of a connection between fans and artists. And many of today's music fans buy 180-gram vinyl LPs for home listening and MP3s for their portable devices.
"For many of us, and certainly for many of our artists, the vinyl is the true version of the release," said Matador's Patrick Amory. "The size and presence of the artwork, the division into sides, the better sound quality, above all the involvement and work the listener has to put in, all make it the format of choice for people who really care about music."

Because these music fans also listen using portable players and computers, Matador and other labels include coupons in record packaging that can be used to download MP3 versions of the songs. Amory called the coupon program "hugely popular."
This is how any band I'm in will release music from now on, budget permitting.

The word "theft" in this context vexes me greatly also.

More akin to trespassing on property than purloining property maybe.

and duration of that temporary 70 year right is itself subject to the whims of the people / legislature... unlikely as that may sound.

Not so - ireland is a signatory to international convention on the subject as well as being subject to EU directives, so it would take more than a whim. The 70 years relates to the period of copyright after the author dies, so for the author themselves it is a permanent right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back