[Sunday Business Post] Irish music industry hit by downloading (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Illegal downloading of music plunged the Irish music industry into a 13 per cent revenue decline last year, according to new figures that have been released by the Irish Recorded Music Association (Irma).

Just €110 million was taken by record companies here, as the number of CDs sold fell by 10 per cent. However, legal downloads more than doubled in Ireland last year, with 80 per cent of all singles now bought online.

Irma’s managing director, Dick Doyle, said that the industry would soon change the way it combated online music piracy. ‘‘Although we’ve tended to go after individuals up to now, our focus will be to try and put more responsibility on internet service providers,” he said.

ISPs such as Eircom, BT, Perlico and Irish Broadband will begin to feel ‘‘pressure’’ to deal with the problem, he predicted.

‘‘One way this could work is that, if you get caught doing it [downloading illegal music] three times, you lose your subscription from the ISP,” he said. ‘‘We think that there’s going to be a lot of pressure on ISPs over the coming months.”

He said that such a ‘‘three strikes and you’re out’’ policy was also being considered in other European countries. However, Irish internet service providers are likely to resist such a move.

‘‘I’d be very wary of ISPs being asked to take a more active role,” said Michele Neylon, owner of Blacknight Internet Solutions and a member of the Internet Service Providers’ Association of Ireland.

‘‘The problem is figuring out how you, as an ISP, are supposed to tell whether someone is downloading illegally. You could end up with serious privacy conflicts, not to mention much higher equipment costs.

‘‘I would be very surprised if any of the ISPs would be interested in getting involved in that, unless someone put a gun to their head.”

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=29594-qqqx=1.asp

Hold on, is this article talking about
* money taken in by international record labels here
or
* profits made by indigenous record labels?

Just wondering, cause the phrase "irish music industry" initially led me to believe he was talking about indigenous recording companies.
maebh

Well i presume they're talking about labels like Out on a limb, Armed Ambitions, Organized Chaos, Rimbaud, Skinnywolves, Scientific Labs, Sadness of Noise et al...
I emailed Eircom, still waiting on a reply from BT though.

Seriously though - i think its bull for one.
Profits are'nt what they expected for end of year, so they say they better send a press release out to let people know there pissed.

Well i presume they're talking about labels like Out on a limb, Armed Ambitions, Organized Chaos, Rimbaud, Skinnywolves, Scientific Labs, Sadness of Noise et al...

That can't be right, no way those labels could haul in €110 million is there? They must be referring to the Irish operations of Sony, Universal, Virgin etc.

they better close down the records stores in case someone trys to shoplift an album then.

i dont believe any ISP is going to do what there asking.
the only way they could possibly pull this off would be getting the law updated and i doubt that will happen.

i think the main issues is going to be that the ISP are not going to see it as an issue. i cant see ISP's kicking people off for downloading 3 albums on rapidshare or something.

Just €110 million was taken by record companies here

Yeah this phrase above makes me think it's the irish arm of large record companies.
Oh no. Poor Sony. Maybe they'll have to sell a child or something to make up the difference.

This is my favourite video that deals with file sharing.
Argument between Chuck D and Lars Ulrich.
Thanks to Shane-o for introducing me to it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is fair to say though that a lot of people think broadband means you're allowed to download crazy amounts of music without paying. To quote two people I talked to over the christmas "I downloaded all of "______" albums, don't really like them but who cares, it's free!!"
60 yr old man: "where can I download music from the internet without paying?"

The new Stephen Malkmus album just leaked.

I know he's not Irish, just thought I'd, er, share.

There's no conclusive evedience that on thing is in any way linked to the other.

You could make the argument that people who are downloading had absolutely no notion of buying the albums anyway and that illegal download and downloads are not replacing sales.

Record companies have to look to their own practices - most of what they produce is shit - instead of whining about illegal downlads.

If I really like something I download, I'm restless until I get a physical copy. MP3's are like watching a stream of a film on Youtube.

You could make the argument that people who are downloading had absolutely no notion of buying the albums anyway and that illegal download and downloads are not replacing sales.

You could but it would be a pointless argument because it would be without any evidence whatsoever given that it's a hypothesis you just randomly presented

I use neither but at least you admitted that that paper is all you have to go on. Why not say nothing if you dont know what you're talking about (which you just conceded)? It's not that difficult.

When did I do that?

This is your second time making a fool of yourself discussing the exact same thing. In the exact same manner too - you think you'd get tired of making an ass of yourself.

I make a point.
You say - you made that up it's based on nothing
I tell you what its based on
Yet you witter on as if you've scored some kind of a point.

If you disagree with the methodology used in the study - tell me why?
If you have something except your own misguided suppositions to contribute the the discussion, then do.

You have a bee in your bonnet on this subject - I don't know why - you seem to have no interest in discussing the issue rationally you just trumpet you own views and have a a hissy fit if anyone disagrees with you.

In my experience the people who spent money on records before widespread filesharing still spend money on records.

The people who never bought records continue not to buy records

and the decrease in sales of records is due to more than just filesharing, and the vast vast majority of filesharing represents no lost revenue to the record industry.

For some reason this view is contraversial to you - don't know why, but it is tiresome.

sunday business post said:
Just €110 million was taken by record companies here, as the number of CDs sold fell by 10 per cent. However, legal downloads more than doubled in Ireland last year, with 80 per cent of all singles now bought online.

now i know shite all about this but all this quote says to me is that an increasing proportion of people are downloading music and the profit margins on downloads is less than CDs. And I'm sure the general downturn on retail profits is adding to the pinch.

No hissy fits here. Your experience is that of an accountant. Mine is of that of someone who has worked in music for quite a few years. Im not defending the industry and nor would I unless they did something worth defending, Im just pointing out that your position is a vague notion with a single study as evidence. I dont have to argue my own position to prove that yours is nothing more than stumbled upon reactionary intellectual wafers.

And please do point out one of my misguided suppositions.

PS if you love that fucking study so much why dont you marry it?

When did I do that?

This is your second time making a fool of yourself discussing the exact same thing. In the exact same manner too - you think you'd get tired of making an ass of yourself.

I make a point.
You say - you made that up it's based on nothing
I tell you what its based on
Yet you witter on as if you've scored some kind of a point.

If you disagree with the methodology used in the study - tell me why?
If you have something except your own misguided suppositions to contribute the the discussion, then do.

You have a bee in your bonnet on this subject - I don't know why - you seem to have no interest in discussing the issue rationally you just trumpet you own views and have a a hissy fit if anyone disagrees with you.

In my experience the people who spent money on records before widespread filesharing still spend money on records.

The people who never bought records continue not to buy records

and the decrease in sales of records is due to more than just filesharing, and the vast vast majority of filesharing represents no lost revenue to the record industry.

For some reason this view is contraversial to you - don't know why, but it is tiresome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back