[Sunday Business Post] Irish music industry hit by downloading (1 Viewer)

Em ... who the fuck cares what we call it dudes? The questions we want answered are:

In the future, will we still be able to
1) recoup some of the money we spend on recording our own music by selling copies of the recordings
2) listen to recordings of amazing new music made by other people

Then one day, I had mislaid my iRiver and decided to bring my 30-quid Bush discman on a bus journey with the ''Loveless'' cd, using the same headphones I use on the iriver- the difference was incredible

there's a different element to this here. the sound quality difference may have been down to the amp difference between the players. one of the drawbacks of increased mp3 player competition has been a noticeable dip in audio quality as the manafacturers strive to bring down component and production costs - as they squeeze more doohickeys in, the core components suffer. quite possibly, the music sounded better on your discman simply cause all it's hardware has to do is play music.

running them through the same amp and speakers, i genuinely find it hard to notice the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and a CD, unless that CD has been particularly well mastered. It's only the difference between vinyl and digital that's particularly striking

So if I happened to have a star trek style replicator in my house my local shopkeeper could call me a thief cause I didn't buy from him anymore?

That is a really stupid comparison.

If you change that to "if went in to the shop and stole a bag of apples, and then went and stood on the corner and offered to swap half the apples with a guy who'd just stolen a bag of oranges" then you might have a better comparison with regard to what people are doing 'sharing' music online.

In my opinion sharing/downloading devalues music.
When I first started collecting music I saved my pocket money to get the albums I wanted and it felt amazing when I finally got what I had saved for. People had less money in their pockets then and were willing to spend it on albums. People have alot more money now and they want it all for free.

The record company as it currently operates is not dead but it needs major updating.

Tell that to someone in a poor part of the world who wants to listen to some music.

A lot of the venom in the file-sharing discussion hinges not on whether it's right or wrong - but on the accusation that the record industry, through its exploitation of artists and consumers has long ago given up the right to the moral high ground it now seeks to occupy.

there's a different element to this here. the sound quality difference may have been down to the amp difference between the players. one of the drawbacks of increased mp3 player competition has been a noticeable dip in audio quality as the manafacturers strive to bring down component and production costs - as they squeeze more doohickeys in, the core components suffer. quite possibly, the music sounded better on your discman simply cause all it's hardware has to do is play music.

running them through the same amp and speakers, i genuinely find it hard to notice the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and a CD, unless that CD has been particularly well mastered. It's only the difference between vinyl and digital that's particularly striking

Absolutely.
I've done the comparison playing the file from Soundforge through an RME Hammerfall card through a pair of active studio monitors and it's really hard to tell the difference accurately.

That is a really stupid comparison.

If you change that to "if went in to the shop and stole a bag of apples, and then went and stood on the corner and offered to swap half the apples with a guy who'd just stolen a bag of oranges" then you might have a better comparison with regard to what people are doing 'sharing' music online.

I don't think it's stupid at all, remember that these things are infinately reproducable - they have not be stolen they have been copied.

Do we all really think the the thumped compilation club thread is a den of thieves and should be locked immediately?

Tell that to someone in a poor part of the world who wants to listen to some music.

A lot of the venom in the file-sharing discussion hinges not on whether it's right or wrong - but on the accusation that the record industry, through its exploitation of artists and consumers has long ago given up the right to the moral high ground it now seeks to occupy.
If someone in a poor part of the world can afford an mp3 player they can surely afford a cd player and cds..i mean both are cheaper than a laptop and an ipod/iriver etc.

I wouldn't say artists were exploited, they sign a contract which I presume they read before doing so and if they don't then that's their choice and their loss. Plenty band and artists have made a fortune from their record deals so thats not really exploitation.

There is also the hypocracy of them claiming to do so in the name of artists rights.

Em ... who the fuck cares what we call it dudes? The questions we want answered are:

In the future, will we still be able to
1) recoup some of the money we spend on recording our own music by selling copies of the recordings
2) listen to recordings of amazing new music made by other people

Yes, vinyl is the answer I reckon.

The world of metal and hardcore punk and whatever subgenres of both styles seem to more and more revolve around vinyl releases. There was a thread on eirecore discussing this a while back, some of it would be worth a read.

Its not because of exploitation or artists so much as the fact that they are business's whose job it is to make money and thusly no one feels any moral responsibility to people for whom the sole objective is higher profit, and it certainly seems to people to deligitimize their arguments when they take a moral stance. This is different for every record label though because some people really like some indie labels as much as artists and see them as vital and thusly wouldn't do anything to fuck over say Jagjaguwar or Merge or Matador or someone else of this size.

Artists on the other hand would seem to have a much greater moral claim on the use of their own work, but as its been established, copyright is a right granted by society. Its not in the ether, its not elemental and it has no philosophical foundations.

If someone in a poor part of the world can afford an mp3 player they can surely afford a cd player and cds..i mean both are cheaper than a laptop and an ipod/iriver etc.

I saw plenty of internet cafes in South East Asia but very few record stores. But, I digress.

Record companies will always find a way of protecting their product. They've been bleating about how 'Home Taping Is Killing Music' since 1980.

If someone in a poor part of the world can afford an mp3 player they can surely afford a cd player and cds..

Most of the CD's sold in poorer Asian countries are pirated copies so the label/band see nothing from them anyway. And because of sound quality issues I'd argue that a pirated album on CD is likely to do more damage then one on MP3 as there is no incentive to get a proper copy.

I'm really interested in finding out what'll happen when bandwidths/storage gets to the stage where FLAC or some other lossless format is the digtial standard.

Record companies will always find a way of protecting their product. They've been bleating about how 'Home Taping Is Killing Music' since 1980.

There's no one these days who would agree to pay a royalty for taping an episode of Corination Street that they had missed, neither would anyone see it as stealing for not paying a royalty for singing happy birthday to someone or for lending someone a copy of a dvd.

These are all rights to the use of copyrighted material to which societly feel that they are entitled without having to recompense the copyright holder.

Yet by the definition given by some of the posters here all of these are stealing.

Record companies will always find a way of protecting their product.

Actually, I don't think they will. They've had their head in the sand and their fingers in their ears for so long now that they don't realise exactly how fucked they are.

The main benefit of all this palaver will be that artists will have to get into the habit of selling direct to the fans, and there'll be a huge cull of industry middlemen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back