[Sunday Business Post] Irish music industry hit by downloading (1 Viewer)

This has happpened long before filesharing was invented.

Yeah but a lot of people won't even bother now.
There will be less bands as a result of this and guess what? It's gonna hit the most interesting stuff first.

You mean artists less concerned about losing a lot of money from their art - rich people.

Edit: Minka beat me to it but the point stands

Well not necessarily-it all depends on what artists seeks from their investment. I'm pretty sure you don't make music to make money-and well, self-financing any art (look at vanity publishing) is an occupational hazard and always has been. It's all about the love of the game!

Well not necessarily-it all depends on what artists seeks from their investment. I'm pretty sure you don't make music to make money-and well, self-financing any art (look at vanity publishing) is an occupational hazard and always has been. It's all about the love of the game!

We finance our art from record sales & gigs. Sales first, gigs second. We dont (expect to) make a penny for ourselves, never have and probably never will but within that we are a self-sustaining business. There is no way on this earth we could afford to keep doing what we are doing if we werent operating in & around subsistence level.

A dvd with menus and extras is impossible to replicate in a single downloaded file. Watching a film on a laptop will never compare to the experience of going to the cinema.

That said the internet is flooded with promo screeners of new releases but some people will prefer to buy a dvd or go to the cinema instead of watching a compressed movie on their pc.

A DVD is quite easily duplicated in a single file. (still much bigger & slower to download than an album's worth of mp3s)

I'd imagine this would be hitting DVD sales a lot more than cinema sales.

There will be less bands as a result of this and guess what? It's gonna hit the most interesting stuff first.

The obvious reluctance to pay for content online MAY kill new work of quality forcing the people who produce it to withdraw into a private sphere, writing only for themselves and their mates. Meanwhile, the void will be filled by the mind-numbing garbage that fills most of t'internet as it is. P'rhaps t'internet will be passe as a creative sphere and most of the really interesting artistic action will be in the real world and small-scale. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

I've been sticking stuff out for free on my website for over a year and to be honest, in terms of feedback recieved etc, it's a waste of time.
Thousands of people have downloaded the releases.
Loads of the tracks have appeared in peoples mixes online.
If you search Soulseek or the torrent sites the tracks are all there.
F**k all people take the time to send an email to say thanks.
The only people who have taken the time to acknowledge the music have been a few bloggers.
So, to those of you who say that there is any reward in giving your music away for free don't know what you're talking about.

this argument is going nowhere.

here is how i picture it in my mind

9488158e6f13de771f3c0fd2c.gif

can any of the artists make viable suggestions on what to do about the situation?

I'm glad cos I like the sound of analog recording when its done right... but I'm pretty sure at least for a while that production of tape was stopped and that Albini and Jeff Tweedy went around buying up all the tape they could find. Am I wrong?

Either way, tape is still fairly uneconomical in comparison with digital recording, and is something of a luxury item.

It'll surely hit the irrelevant boring rip-off stuff first? The "interesting stuff" is more likely to be made by people who never expected to make any money out of it in the first place. Thats at least the assumption I would've made. Those people are gonna make that music anyway, regardless of whether they garner any commercial success from it or not.

Mr A makes a compilation CD available for download comprised totally of tracks from vinyl and CDs he bought new.

Mr B downloads it.

Surely Mr A is 'less guilty' than Mr B?

In the eyes of the law both are equally guilty.

The hypocricy of Sony who copy-protect their cds AND sell mp3 products is hilarious.

A DVD is quite easily duplicated in a single file.

Yes i understand but i don't just mean the main feature. The ability to select commentaries, subtitles and extras is lost in a single file. Plus the quality is never as good.

Legal mp3s don't sound better than illegal ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back