Substack Notes (1 Viewer)

basically, the opinions of humans, at scale, are awful
that’s the wall that every social media platform keeps running straight into

Was thinking about this over the weekend - There's a bit in the interview where the interviewer says himself (sic) 'in american in 2023 this kinda thing is not so extreme' - the fundamental question here being asked is 'is your new social network going to represent an ideal, non existing america or the actual america that exists'

So the answer for any social network is somewhere between, yes of course this will be a perfectly moderated utopia similar to mc donalds or some kinda spa weekender or this will be a completely unmoderated 360 degree glass panel view of the world - and I suspect that people want neither in practice.

If it is a terf thing the people who kick up a fuss over this stuff are perfectly happy to ignore the women who take the position of being supportive of trans people, or the ones who are in general indifferent to it.
we gotta listen to everyone
we're trying to make a society, a country, a community - to make a place where everyone can have a meaningful life. not just those we agree with. not just saying what feels good. but by having conversations, even if they're difficult.
we did it up the north when people were slaughtering each other. but we seem to have lost it. and on a global level. maybe twitter and facebook caused that. and maybe it's unfixable.

but when you start out with namecalling, you're already doomed.
or I think so anyway.

There's a very strong temptation to go along with your tribe every time

But it means your true colours are never really tested

1681850740789.png

IMG_9860.jpg

Most of the time I do, as I find the online world pretty deadening, with everyone shouting into a void - no-one actually taking other people's points when they might be valid, even though they might not (generally) fit with one's overall worldview (whatever that even means) - and, not to come across as too optimistic, but I think so many people are decent, trying to find their way through uneasy terrain. As I have mentioned previously on a few forums on Thumped (and I think we all know this/mainly agree) that social media doesn't serve any discourse or nuance well, I have noticed a trend where people are throwing around acronyms and name-calling (among other things) which is reductive and quite frankly ridiculous, it's all rather generic and almost without agency, with people smarting under the architecture of the hashtag, trying to force people into capitulation through incoherent mantras that make no sense and don't build unity. I have never had Twitter, and know that I am missing absolutely nothing, but it is also coupled with the fact I would undoubtedly be banned within an hour. The same slogans constantly appear - with so many different interest groups screaming things like one should be on the "right side of history" - it's just bizarre, and not in any way constructive, I guess the online world isn't too constructive, except for Thumped of course ;) I don't quite know what the solutions are, although I firmly believe in Ethics - and I wish that was taught at a younger stage in schools, I think it's good for the brain - perhaps there are some schools out there at the moment teaching such things, I hope so, but also an acceptance that the world is not built around individuals - and shouldn't be - a balancing of rights always has to be attained, so we can try and safely thrive in our individual lives - but it's a balance. It's hard, and not easy work. I try to come from the position of - most of us are trying our best, the world is complicated, rights needs to be balanced, we all need to listen, and while we arrive at our own positions, of course, other people do as well - we all have to live together, even with those we fundamentally disagree with and don't like - that's the society I kind of always recognised, and have actually felt at home in, so I feel there has been a major regression in various ways, but talking through this uneasiness or writing about it in a measured way surely helps. Anyway, those are my garbled thoughts of a Wednesday afternoon.

we all have to live together, even with those we fundamentally disagree with and don't like
I think this is something living in a rural area really brings home to you. If someone is a prick you can't fix them, and can't avoid them - you just have to do your best to work around them and not let them do your head in too much

edit: who's that in the picture? I could sit and stare at her all day long

I think this is something living in a rural area really brings home to you. If someone is a prick you can't fix them, and can't avoid them - you just have to do your best to work around them and not let them do your head in too much

edit: who's that in the picture? I could sit and stare at her all day long
You have really hit on something there - I come from a rural area, but live in the city now...I hadn't thought about it that way, and it makes sense to me.

As for the picture, I know, she's so beautiful - Nastassja Kinski - it's a still from Wim Wenders' Paris, Texas. I can't remember the last thing I saw her in. It was only later I realised she is Klaus Kinski's daughter, eek.

Can we all agree that racism is bad without having to go through three pages of discussion on nuances.

Can we all agree that racism is bad without having to go through three pages of discussion on nuances.

Yes, for sure.
I don't really think we were talking about whether racism was bad or not - I think we all agree that it is

I thought the discussion was about how we talk about racism and issues like it, and how we engage with people we disagree with.

What about kicking babies, or puppies? Or kicking a puppy at a baby?

Well there was the lad who kicked the cat, Zouma. For two or three games he got booed. Away fans would show up with hundreds of inflatable cats that they'd try to throw on the pitch.

After that the "BOOOOO!" turned into "ZOOOOOOOOO!". He has been consistently good all season. I could write more, but there's enough words in this thread already.

All I have to say is I don't know. I do think HowSocialMediaWorks, and indeed ethics, as someone has said, probably should be taught in school, and moreso to adults as well.

I only found out what substacks was yesterday.

This cat is AI

Felis-Salamandra-2.jpg

It's doing a bit of internet traffic good and bad on being a 'new species discoverd by scientists'.

I kinda like the look of it. I'm not big on cats in general though.

I genuinely thought that that was a given. I personally was referring to the general state of things. I really didn't think this needed to be restated. A number of other issues I can write about the nuances of all day long, so get ready for 6 more pages, as I am now warming to a theme.*

*I actually won't warm to that theme, although I very definitely could :censored: .

It's like the rest of the English speaking internet has gotten to the stage Thumped was at in about 2007.

But less funny or interesting.

and how we engage with people we disagree with.

That's the crux of it for me, any of the study stuff I did around conflict resolution or community work, shutting down talking is an absolute disaster area. How that magnifies or transforms on huge scale social networks where there is a group expectation to make your condemnation of something a public act to stay in the stream does raise a few questions about how humans are adapting to the internet. Kinda a slow self pillarization of outlooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back