Substack Notes (1 Viewer)

You are cancelled now egg.

By rights you are supposed to take the side of the guy who doesn't want to be told to fuck off out of the country. But then on the other hand it's a piece of software, is there anything in law to saw it has to have a moral / civil code (i don't know the answer to this).

It's not sarcasm. Am I supposed to be rooting for Whiny Free Speech Guy or the priest figure making sure public morals are upheld? To me they both seem like utter fuckheads
I know there’s a bit of an age difference between us but it sounds like you’ve a bit of baggage there around people pointing out that there’s a problem. This is like the racist boxer again - confronting people for being racist (or giving a platform for unbridled racism in this case) should not be a controversial thing to do. In both this case and the boxer, they shilly-shally around answering a question with a very simple answer.

I know there’s a bit of an age difference between us but it sounds like you’ve a bit of baggage there around people pointing out that there’s a problem
I guess I do, and maybe the age difference has something to do with it. To me the archetype of a person who seeks out immorality and publicly decries it is The Priest or The Nun. The self-described "brown person" in the video above is, to me, in broadly the same category as Enoch Burke.

Being probably 10-ish years older than you, I grew up in an Ireland that was strongly morally policed, and that has made me very sensitive to this kind of thing. Have you ever read an article that smells a bit, for example, US-Republican, and you're put off regardless of the content? Similarly yer man in that video just comes off to me as a total dick

I guess I do, and maybe the age difference has something to do with it. To me the archetype of a person who seeks out immorality and publicly decries it is The Priest or The Nun. The self-described "brown person" in the video above is, to me, in broadly the same category as Enoch Burke.

Being probably 10-ish years older than you, I grew up in an Ireland that was strongly morally policed, and that has made me very sensitive to this kind of thing. Have you ever read an article that smells a bit, for example, US-Republican, and you're put off regardless of the content? Similarly yer man in that video just comes off to me as a total dick
Sorry, you’re saying that someone with dark skin in America asking about racism is the same as a priest in Ireland when the Catholic Church were a significant part of the power structure? And also like Enoch Burke, a man who has a long history of hating gay and transgender people and has abused his position as a teacher to push that agenda of hatred?

Did we watch the same video? Has racism suddenly been downgraded or something? Thumped has taken a weird turn lately.

Whose side am I supposed to be on here?
Either side or neither.
Whatever fits with who you are.

There's no simple answer - it's all where we're coming from.

The question is a gotcha. But the type of views he's talking about "Black people are animals" are abhorrent to almost everyone.
It's super easy to be for censorship of ideas you don't like though. That can come around fairly quick to stuff you do like though.
The argument becomes an endless loop.

It's easy to ignore people and ideas you don't like, if you try.

What seems the same to me is puritans didn't want Elvis's music on the radio because of its "negro rhythms" and so forth.
Right-thinking people would have said it's a free expression of his art; which is probably how we view his work now; he took something from his milieu and he made great art from it.
Fast forward to the 21st century and everyone from Katy Perry to Iggy Azalea to you name it are "cultural appropriators" for taking something from their milieu and making art from it.

You can have the same view on something and the times change.

Some of you may remember the whole Piss Christ brouhaha. Holy Joes wanted it banned because it was offensive. The counter argument from the left (my people!) was that it was art and free expression and people shouldn't look at it if they don't like it.
Now publishers are hiring "sensitivity readers" to edit books that have been in print for forever.

The principles that were once true are now no longer useful.

Or to put it another way, now that the left/liberalism (or whatever you want to call it) has gained cultural ascendency it no longer thinks censorship is really that a bad thing.

Sorry, I know I go on a bit, but if you want to change the world and make it a better place, join your residents or community association.
Go to the meetings, even the pain in the hole ones on a rainy Wednesday night when you don't want to.
You will find your community there. The people you live with. Some good people, some weird people. Some people you think are whack jobs. But you'll hear them speak and you'll get to vet your own ideas.
Everyone there wants to belong, even the old guys yo don't agree with, and the old biddys that complain about stupid shit. They will bring tea and they will bring biscuits and cake. Because behind it all, what we all really want is to feel like we matter to others.
You don't have to change your opinion on anything but you will understand your place in your little corner of the world a little better.
Or that's been my experience.

I will tell you this, if you are one less person furiously typing and arguing on the internet that night trying to change the world that way; the internet will not miss you and it does not need you.

Sorry, you’re saying that someone with dark skin in America asking about racism is the same as a priest in Ireland when the Catholic Church were a significant part of the power structure? And also like Enoch Burke, a man who has a long history of hating gay and transgender people and has abused his position as a teacher to push that agenda of hatred?
"Is the same as"? No. I'm saying that guy is playing the role of an upholder of public morals. I don't think that's an outrageous thing to say, is it?

And then I'm saying that I can't help but be irked by someone playing that role, because that's how the priests saw themselves too, and that's how Enoch Burke sees himself, and fuck those guys. I'm not trying to convince you, just exploring the "baggage" you insightfullly pointed out

Has racism suddenly been downgraded or something? Thumped has taken a weird turn lately.

I find that in real life things just are not as clearly cut as twitter type stances make things out to be - . I left twitter for reasons i've explained before, but when i see the style of politics or social accountability that manifests there spilling over here I'm more prone to questioning the motives, and moreso, the actual arena in which the interaction takes place. With harrington the point I would always make is that she's a boxer and for no good reason on earth everyone who is successful at one thing unrelated to social media has to be socially vetted by people who do spend a lot of time on social media via the medium of public laundry.

The arenas I see in that interaction:

1. The boxing ring. One person score points on another until one wins, the rules are set, the judges come to a conclusion.
2. Twitter a social media site.
3. The interview show - We have now left boxing and are examining someone's twitter history, specifically something they deleted because the ever vigilant twitterati / social policing types went after her.
4. The interview show part 2. The arena in which people's expectation is that she should talk to a person in PR to straighten out the words that come out of her mouth - and we now have a vague idea that she got that advice and didn't heed it.

In 1, that's the thing she does, thats what we are supposed to give a fuck about and it does not equip someone for what follows.
In 2, A thing she is societally expected to do because of her achievements in 1.
in 3. An arena that is not her natural habitat, and most certainly isn't boxing.
in 4. An arena in which regardless of what she things, she must make other words come out of her mouth to satisfy 2 and 3.

I don't like this societal structure in which people who are good at snappy tweets become the arbiters of virtue. I have in real life on now several occasions been exposed to a few of these people who spend time on social media doing that kinda stuff as a bit and they are in no way whatsoever even fucking close to a moral compass, and in a fair few cases did more damage than good so long as they were getting their social one up's.

Now for her to pass the social purity test she has to be good at 1 and be willing to lie about who she is on 2,3 and 4 and if she'd paid attention to her media training then the conversation would have never happened, but would one single thing be fixed beyond her media profile? Nope. It would not. All it amounts to is a PR person and people who love a good cyber pile on getting their pound of flesh and their daily dopamine hits.

I'm not downgrading racism, i'm downgrading the actual idea that these social laundries are going to do a thing to change society other than pay some PR wages.

OBVS i used twitter here because that's exactly what substack wants to be, right, but it's just gonna be the same economy all over again. Twitter using moderation of racism resulted in two things - all the racists going to somewhere else on the internet to do exactly what they were doing before except in a more isolated feedback loop and all the people on twitter believing that something had changed because they could no longer see it happening.
Social media without object permanence essentially.

If mr substack comes out guns blazing saying we are going to moderate the living fuck out of this thing, if anyone fucking looks at you even funny they'll have me at their house within an hour with an intervention group then what will happen from day one is that there will still be an equal number of racists on the internet but they wont be visible on substack.

Americans fucking love living in a fantasy anywhoo. You go and buy a burger or something and the poor staff person has to rhyme off 5 sentences how was your day, please and thankyou and all that shite and all it does is either prolong a myth or entirely depersonalises the experience because if they are having a shit day they still have to lie to your face to make minimum. Social networks can provide that fantasy too.

Is the concept that people might not agree that jumping on a 'fuck that guy' bandwagon on a weekly basis the weird turn thumped has been taking, or have i missed the mark?

Also I agree with egg, having met a few of these media socialites who love to spearhead these things, they are most certainly a modern day incarnation of the catholic virtue police. They might not be as extreme or have a several hundred year crusades and wealth background to weild as power, but the mentality is there for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back