Stupid stuff that isnt vegetarian (1 Viewer)

A lot of stuff that you think you can't eat like some Bacon Fries or Chicken noodles, you can eat cos they're made from flavourings to resemble the real thing rather than stock. Then there are things like cooking sauces that you wouldn't expect to have meat stock in them that do, so it's worth checking ingredients whenever you're getting one you haven't used before.

I'm a relatively strict vegetarian because I don't want to wind up feeling nauseous if I unknowingly eat something with a meat ingredient. Being a vegetarian is about adhering to your own tastes or conscience (whichever guides you) at the end of the day. There isn't a rule book to live by. If someone says to me "If you're a vegetarian, then why are you drinking Guinness?" my response is generally "Because fuck off that's why."

A lot of chocolate used to contain animal lecithin, but soy lecithin has become more common these days. I think the biggest supplier of it, uses the soy sourced stuff exclusively.

Apparently Mcdonalds chips contain beef extract for some reason.
Some crisps contain meat extracts but they're usually marked clearly.

zub said:
A lot of chocolate used to contain animal lecithin, but soy lecithin has become more common these days. I think the biggest supplier of it, uses the soy sourced stuff exclusively.

Apparently Mcdonalds chips contain beef extract for some reason.
Some crisps contain meat extracts but they're usually marked clearly.

Oh yeah, some Skips crisps contain real fish oils and some don't. Depends where they're manafactured or something.

It was the oil MCDonalds chips were cooked in that had beef fats in it and I think it might have just been in the US. It created uproar among US Muslims understandably.

paul watts, a vegan, drinks guinness.

paul watts is right about everything.

therefore, guinness is vegan.

q.e.d.

bernard: condoms? haven't eaten any recently. how do they use meat?

yeh Im not sure if that guinness thing is true alright. Where do people hear things like this??

Always off little jimmy, the fat kid, thats where! I tell yeh, if he stuck his hand in the fire, would you do the same, eh? EH?

Wavioli said:
yeh Im not sure if that guinness thing is true alright. Where do people hear things like this??

Always off little jimmy, the fat kid, thats where! I tell yeh, if he stuck his hand in the fire, would you do the same, eh? EH?

The noos paper. It was in the noos. Guinness is made out of all the snakes St. Patrick drove out of Ireland.

tom. said:
paul watts, a vegan, drinks guinness.

paul watts is right about everything.

therefore, guinness is vegan.

q.e.d.

bernard: condoms? haven't eaten any recently. how do they use meat?

oh yeah sorry i forgot that 'lacto-vegetarian' and 'vegetarian' generally mean the same thing these days (maiow)

other condoms contain casein from milk.

most beers are filtered through isinglass, which as i understand it is a gelatine substance derived from boiled fish-guts. like tom, a vegan i trusted once told me that guiness no longer use this process, and i chose to believe her. but i'm kinda with zita on the whole
"because fuck off" line anyways.

FaultyGoods said:
It was the oil MCDonalds chips were cooked in that had beef fats in it and I think it might have just been in the US. It created uproar among US Muslims understandably.

nah it was the fries themselves what had the beef

According to that book eh... McDonalds is cunts.... whassitcalled? Fast Food Nation, well according to that it was only in the states. I think. Helpful? I can't believe I'm posting this crap.

Watch out for make up too. I believe some lipsticks contain bits of animals.

FaultyGoods said:

Muslims can't eat beef now? Get thee to the mosque and spread the word!

I think you meant Hindu's. Most muslims wouldn't bother with McDonalds anyway as the meat isn't halal.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Aonghus, it took you like two years to go vegan so ha!

And damn I didnt know that marshmallows werent vegetarian. grrrh. What are they made from?

Ciaran Mackle said:
And damn I didnt know that marshmallows werent vegetarian. grrrh. What are they made from?
Most marshmallows contain gelatin, which is kind of like the stuff that stiks your nails to your toes and fingers.
Guinness DO still use isinglass to filter their stout. The marketing dept. told the Irish Veg Soc only last month.
Gelatin also features in many chewy sweets (guess why - those nails can be chewy). McDonalds USED to par-fry (if that's such a word) their freedom fries in beef fat before distributing them in the states. That has now changed due to a court case.
Other stuff that's not veggie!!! lots of biscuits contain animal fats and marine shortening. Ciaran, like many people said it's up to you to chise what you want to eat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back