students (3 Viewers)

i benefited from the free fees too - i think they were introduced the year i went to college.

I started college in 1993. It went like this;

1993: full fees
1994: full fees
1995: half fees (the phasing out if you like)
1996: free fees

the registration fees were 50 punts and were considered separate from actual fees (you still paid it when it was free fees)

There's one thing clogging up the higher education system and that's 18 year olds. Now that college realistically costs about €15,000* even with free fees maybe the kids will take a few years get an idea about what they want to do and start college at 21 have a lower drop out rate and actually get jobs in their chosen field after college instead of clogging up the courses not giving a flying fuck and then getting entry level jobs in the civil service on the basis of simply having a degree in a subject they don't don't give two fucks about.

*Based on €2,500 a year registration fee
€80 a week rent
€400 a year course materials /miscilaneous.

Explain ?

To use rough figures a person who earns 100k pays more taxes than a person who earns 20. In fact they pay more than 5 people that earn 20 grand because the taxable income of someone who earn 6 figures is only affected by one person's tax free allowance whereas the other 100 grand has 5 people's tax free allowances keeping it away from the government.

Here's why don't the gardai storm in on horses and start smashing skulls when taxi drivers park their cabs across O'Connell Street to protest?????

My god I hate taxi drivers.......

also,what's up with the lack of numbers on the riot squad?looking at photos in the paper i seen one lad with a number on his helmet,the rest were blank as far as i could see.same with the public order unit anytime i see them out and about.

They should just fucking call the 'registration fee' 'college fees' and stop pissing about.

also college should be a lot harder to get into

actually, this

a) Abolish the points system in the leaving cert. People should study what they are good at and/or like and should know this aged 15/16. If they mess up and wish they studied "x" then they can go back and do this.
b) Abolish free fees entirely. ENTIRELY.
c) Introduce a HUGE number of government scholarships for people who want to study stuff. Not free fees huge, but a lot. If they fail, they owe. Also, this scheme is available to all people, maybe with an emphasis on school leavers.
d) make college VERY hard to pass. every college in Ireland then gains some kind of harvard reputation (maybe) for being a great degree
e) er, ireland profits?

DO AS I SAY

2033916.jpg

Poshos are paying dude, they pay more taxes than the proles. If we're talking about an equitable society than those that put more into the state coffers should be able to get something back out of it beyond the basic services like roads, and coppers and shit like that. It can't just be a case where the rich people pay their taxes to subsidise everyone else entirely.

Whoa dude. You're saying that people who pay more in tax should get more out of the state? I couldn't disagree more

To use rough figures a person who earns 100k pays more taxes than a person who earns 20. In fact they pay more than 5 people that earn 20 grand because the taxable income of someone who earn 6 figures is only affected by one person's tax free allowance whereas the other 100 grand has 5 people's tax free allowances keeping it away from the government.

You are insane. Completely and utterly insane. Go join Fianna Fail now you'll fit right in.

Poshos are paying dude, they pay more taxes than the proles. If we're talking about an equitable society than those that put more into the state coffers should be able to get something back out of it beyond the basic services like roads, and coppers and shit like that. It can't just be a case where the rich people pay their taxes to subsidise everyone else entirely.

How does it feel like to be a Tea partier?

I think you are completely misunderstanding what equitable means.

It means that we as a society have decided to all chip in to provide certain public goods.

And because we are not Americans we know that those at the bottom rungs of the ladder are not always there by their own doing. We therefore have things like tax free allowances so that a low wage is not automatically a recipe for grinding poverty and uncertainty the same as it is in other countries (I'm looking at you US). We also have a social welfare system to help people who for one reason or another fall below even this basic level.

It's not a vending machine - it's not a question of what you put in should be what you get out. Unless like me, you believe what you get out is the joy living in a society that is not Calcutta for it's least advantaged. Whether you are one of these least advantaged or not.

What's insane about pointing out that making more money means paying more tax? Which is not the same at all as saying if you pay more tax, you should get more from the State.

Whoa dude. You're saying that people who pay more in tax should get more out of the state? I couldn't disagree more

That is absolutely not what I'm saying at all. Ratmonkey gets it (I think). What I'm saying is that if we're all paying in then on some level we should all be getting something back out of it and I think that education is a pretty fundamental and basic thing that we should all have it provided to us by the state. There's a list of things that that I don't think should be means tested and third level fees is on it. Why don't we just means test children's allowance while we're cutting things that we're all entitled to get from the state. Or old people's medical cards. Or the state pension for that matter, because there's got to be some people who could afford to get by without those.

In a society we're all supposed to be in it together, and yes in that case the wealthy subsidises the poor when it comes to state supplied services, and I think they should because they're better able to afford it, but I don't think they should be told to go fuck themselves while they do it. "Rich people" shouldn't get rent allowance on their penthouses or whatever, that's just absurd, I just think that their kids should be able to go to university and have all of us pay for it. And if it means that we jack up the top rate of tax on said rich people if that's what's needed to cover it then so be it.

Mormon what I'm advocating is, to my mind about as far from tea party thinking as possible and is more in line with what I understand French or Scandinavian thinking to be, tax the fuck out of those that can afford it so that the services that we should all have are provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back