Staying off the drink (1 Viewer)

The law states, that excise only applies when the alcohol limit exceeds 1.2% ABV, at which point it becomes low strength not non-alcoholic.

The beers priced above are all within the <0.5-1.2% ABV range, so the high prices charged by publicans seem to be just that, high prices for maximum profits, resulting in a hard hit in the wallet for people who want to have the privilege of not drinking alcohol.

Excise duty has not increased in the last two years, has been increased twice in the last 12 years and reduced once. The unhealthy choice (alcohol) has the most attractive price.

Fucking great point

Much as I like the option of the non-alco drinks, I had thought they were much the same price as other pints; I didn't realise there was such a discrepancy.
I usually just go with the water and blackcurrant option these days if I'm not drinking; some pubs don't charge for that at all, or if they do it's usually a price off the top of their heads. I've paid, randomly, €1.50 or €3 depending.

Much as I like the option of the non-alco drinks, I had thought they were much the same price as other pints; I didn't realise there was such a discrepancy.
I usually just go with the water and blackcurrant option these days if I'm not drinking; some pubs don't charge for that at all, or if they do it's usually a price off the top of their heads. I've paid, randomly, €1.50 or €3 depending.
And it's not as if you're really enjoying the thing either.
You just need something in your hand to calm the alcos and fend off the fucking questions.

Last edited:
And it's not as if you're really enjoying the thing either.
You just need something in your hand to calm the alcos and fend off the fucking questions.
Big time; I found drinking the non-alco's stopped people bugging me about not drinking. You can't really win though if you're not drinking, best to just avoid the pub/weddings/dinners/engagements/stags/gigs if you can!

Big time; I found drinking the non-alco's stopped people bugging me about not drinking. You can't really win though if you're not drinking, best to just avoid the pub/weddings/dinners/engagements/stags/gigs if you can!
I like showing up and bailing early.
It gets fierce boring after everyone's had a few, while still being super fun for them.
I like to get out and do something.

Even when i was on the sauce, the sweet spot was always in the 1-3 pint range. After that it was diminishing returns with enjoyment. Unless people got so drunk that they put a toilet seat on their head or flashed their boobs. Those events get rarer and less interesting anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back