State Magazine (1 Viewer)

It matters if I write for them? (flattering myself)
or matters if I lied about what I thought? (which I didn't)
;)

i'd be careful if i were you - no one messes with the corporation!! pete is actually bob hoskins from "the long good friday"

LongGoodFriday15.jpg

:eek:
leigh

Thought the content ranged from very average (some of the reviews) to very good (a couple of the features). The design is beautiful. They seriously, seriously need to employ a proof-reader or subeditor or something tho, so many typos and spelling errors (Lilly Allen, Elliot Smith, 'peaked' where it should have been 'piqued', etc). They all add up!

I was a bit disappointed with this. I too really like nialler9's blog and was kinda hoping for a magazine-length version of it. Might settle down a bit after a few issues - fingers crossed

If any state people are reading this (Niall, for instance) - why oh why are you doing the stupid Hot Press trick of making every article title into a pun? Please stop

Uncut have done some great free cds - in around 2006 with every issue they had one with the best of the months' releases, and without it I wouldn't have heard Judee Sill, Midlake or many other great bands when I did.

I have plenty of shite free cds at home, but the best ones were almost all from Uncut.

If any state people are reading this (Niall, for instance) - why oh why are you doing the stupid Hot Press trick of making every article title into a pun? Please stop

Isn't that what nearly every sub-ed in the world for almost every publication does?
Pretty much everyone does it.
I don't believe it's confined to Hot Press.

Agreed. Almost always complete rubbitch.

yeah but if your going charge at the Bigger end of the market, with your Uncuts/Mojos/Words you should be doing a CD like them... mostly they are shite, but people will go for free shit over content most times...

Uncut have done some great free cds - in around 2006

way back when it launched in the late 90's the Uncut cds were insanely good, I still listen to a handful of them Pere Ubu, John Cale, Red Star Belgrade, Laptop, Traffic, Jim O'Rourke and on and on and on... first two threes of Uncut was brilliant... downhill ever since :(

Uncut have done some great free cds - in around 2006 with every issue they had one with the best of the months' releases, and without it I wouldn't have heard Judee Sill, Midlake or many other great bands when I did.

I have plenty of shite free cds at home, but the best ones were almost all from Uncut.

I think thats the point. No one expects them to be deadly from start to finish. But if you discover 2 new bands from 3 free CDs, then the exercise has been worthwhile. The ones from Foggy Notions were great for this. Thats where I first heard of people like Yacht, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, Russian Futurists, Essex Green. I wouldn't really listen to the FN CDs much beyond the first couple of weeks I had it, but by then I've probably acquired CDs by 2 or3 of the bands.

I rarely buy Uncut any more, sadly, but they really were so good a few years ago. I've picked up older comps from years ago with great stuff on them.
Some of the Foggy Notions ones were great - the label ones and the Kool Drool ones.
Hotpress ones are always 'industry' ones.
I've a few Plan B ones too and they're good.

loads of great tracks on those uncut cds. its a pity they just do the whole "REM pick there favourite tracks" cds now.
give me new music from new cds please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back