Soundproofing (1 Viewer)

where, prey tell, can one purchase soundproofing foam?
soundproof-foam.jpg

i just want to dedicate a room to home-recording and want to block out traffic droning thru the window...was thinking egg-cartons but surely foam is as cost effective as buying and eating thru a tower-stack of eggs.

pd1998437.jpg

yo milker, I made a window-plug for my old gaff on the quays that worked a treat. MDF and rockwool cut to the 3 dimensions of the window cavity, with the rockwool side covered in cheap fabric to keep it from disintegrating. Works a treat. If I could do it, surely a man with your fitting skills could do it no probs. Will totally depend on the size of your window if this is practical or not though. It can be *really* heavy, and if it's a large window you may have to construct some sort of outer frame to keep it it place. It also fell out a few times, luckly never with head crunching results, so be careful of that too...

you could also look into Auralex SheetBlok, it's mass loaded vinyl, but comes as a clear sheet also. Make an air tight frame with a couple of layers of that.
Big Bear sound in Dublin used to do auralex, not sure if they do now.

everyone stops talking as soon as you leave the room.

I Knew it!!!

they have these places were you can go and record music in them and they have decent equiptment and because theres people watching you drawn on something deep in side and give your best preformance instead of staying in your room and wasting your life on forums and pron

there called recording studios dingus!!!!!

if anyones working mdf, be sure to use a good dust mask
, not just the elastic band prodigy/house painter models. cutting mdf produces really horrible fine dust.

if anyones working mdf, be sure to use a good dust mask
, not just the elastic band prodigy/house painter models. cutting mdf produces really horrible fine dust.

The dust is only half the problem. When you cut it with any kind of circular/electrical saw the glue holding all the fibres together heats produces fumes that are really, really bad for you.

any news on this?? i'm starting my build over the next few weeks, less to worry about in terms of sound proofing as the room is isolated in relevance to where it is in the building.

theres one wall which will face the monitors, i want to put something on it to dampen the reflection, i used a bed sheet with bubble wrap behind it in the old place. bubble wrap was relatively effective but it collects damp when its next to a bed sheet. any (budget) recommendations. i hate the look of acoustic foam.

Egg cartons or anything with lots of different facing surfaces.

any news on this?? i'm starting my build over the next few weeks, less to worry about in terms of sound proofing as the room is isolated in relevance to where it is in the building.

theres one wall which will face the monitors, i want to put something on it to dampen the reflection, i used a bed sheet with bubble wrap behind it in the old place. bubble wrap was relatively effective but it collects damp when its next to a bed sheet. any (budget) recommendations. i hate the look of acoustic foam.

Rigid fibreglass panels covered with something like Hessian, (or any fabric with a large weave), is great for reflection points.

If anyone here is building a studio or doing some acoustic treatment/soundproofing work at the moment, im looking for someone to buy neoprene sheet with me. This stuff is used in a lot of high end diy acoustics work. It's 1/4 inch heavy rubber sheet that has excellent absorption properties, i'll be using mine for building a window, isolating amps and monitors and as a riser for a drumkit. Its fairly expensive but cheaper if bought by the roll, 40 per cent discount. I need to buy a ten metre roll to get this discount so if anyone wants to come in on this with me let me know?
Cheers
Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back