Soundproofing (1 Viewer)

eoin said:
Hello. Is there a thread around here about cheapo (or not so cheapo)soundproofing?
apparently the only way to do it is to build a room within a room, so you have a 6 inch vacuum or sth like that all round, that way the sound travels out of the inner room hits the vacuum and dissipates ( in space no one can hear you scream :eek: ). if you have the inner room attached to the outer room via stud partition etc the sound just travels straight through. You also need an isolation membrane for the floor me thinks.

i was told this by the audio/visual head guy in the university of limerick. don't know what the cost of this would be though
don't know about a thread, did you do a search for it?

schmegeggin said:
apparently the only way to do it is to build a room within a room, so you have a 6 inch vacuum or sth like that all round, that way the sound travels out of the inner room hits the vacuum and dissipates ( in space no one can hear you scream :eek: ). if you have the inner room attached to the outer room via stud partition etc the sound just travels straight through. You also need an isolation membrane for the floor me thinks.

i was told this by the audio/visual head guy in the university of limerick. don't know what the cost of this would be though
don't know about a thread, did you do a search for it?
the cost of a room with 6 inches of vacuum around it would be a lot

schmegeggin said:
apparently the only way to do it is to build a room within a room, so you have a 6 inch vacuum

You'd wanna have good vetilation.
Iv got a link to a pretty good site on sound proofing but its at home (im in collage), ill post it up later.

hanley said:
the cost of a room with 6 inches of vacuum around it would be a lot

would it? i would have thought no matter what sized vacuum is around your room you would still have to build the inside room anyway and that would roughly be the same price. it would depend on the size of the room i guess, i always wanted to get my attic converted but its just too small for it to be practical

Em ... you don't need a vacuum, if you did soundproofing would be damn near impossible. What you need is heavy materials to absorb the sound, and no direct path (through the air or through any other material, like wall studs or blocks or the floor slab) from the soundproofed room to the outside. The room-within-a-room thing is the most effective solution, but it needs to be airtight

Bottom line is that proper soundproofing cost LOADS. Like 4-5 figures, depending. That said, there's ways to do a less effective job for cheap. Best to scour the internet.. it's all out there.

egg_ said:
Em ... you don't need a vacuum, if you did soundproofing would be damn near impossible. What you need is heavy materials to absorb the sound, and no direct path (through the air or through any other material, like wall studs or blocks or the floor slab) from the soundproofed room to the outside. The room-within-a-room thing is the most effective solution, but it needs to be airtight

yep you're right, sorry what i was trying to describe was there should be no direct path from the inner room to the outer

eggboxes!
or ex-army matresses - just like can had! they reckoned the thousands of wetdreams that they were surrounded by helped them to jam, man.:p
c37.jpg

Standard soundproofing for houses is double-slabbing, which is pretty much drylining twice like Anthony says. Gotta do the ceiling as well as the walls, and for best results also put in a floating floor.

If you use fermacell rather than regular cement board the results will be better (it's heavier, but it's 3 times the price), also if you can hang your boards on metal furring (metal strips that you attach to whatever you're hanging the board on, then attach the board to the metal) that'll help. Also you need to seal the drylining along all the boards where they connect with each other and the floor/ceiling to make the room airtight ... and then you'll probably need some sort of ventilation ducts so you don't smother

So I've been told but not really sure, it seems to be right as some people have mentioned this already. Two solid walls (no cavity blocks) with rockwool in the middle. Then insulate the inside walls with rockwool and then put hard acoustic plasterboard over this and then skim it. You also need a floating floor and loads of rockwool in the ceiling.

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/sw48827.asp
http://www.fermacell.co.uk/
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Then you need a set of earplugs, bottle of oxeygen and a fridge for the beer.

where, prey tell, can one purchase soundproofing foam?
soundproof-foam.jpg

i just want to dedicate a room to home-recording and want to block out traffic droning thru the window...was thinking egg-cartons but surely foam is as cost effective as buying and eating thru a tower-stack of eggs.

pd1998437.jpg

egg boxes or foam dont actullly proof sound, they diffuse it..

so, if you want to say, sound proof a window your best bet would be to make an enclosure over the window using something like MDF with rokwool and a couple of inches air gap in the construction. just make sure that the sound is coming from the window and not through the roof or walls.

you could buy some of that foam and place it around the room to kill reflections and 'deaden' the room, so any leaking external sounds would die very quickly rather than bouncing around.

the common misconception is that the egg cartons are for sound proofing, but in fact they aint at all.

and in case you are wondering...the only REAL and complete way to soundproof is to build a room within a room.

if your problem is the traffic on the street outside, then a budget option would be to just insulate the wall thats facing the road, any windows in the room and the ceiling, unless you live in a round tower in the middle of a roundabout. i've never had money to soundproof a room, what i use instead are arrangments of mattressess, tables turned on thier side and curtains, which is more damping the soundprrofing but does help . commercial soundproof windows are dependent on how large the air gap between the double glazing is. high end ones have a six inch gap, lower end have maybe 1 inch.

another option is to build a enclosure big enough to hold an amp and a mic, it can even be three sided, basically like a min vocal booth.... i'd say an effective one of those could be whipped up for about 40 euro if you have d.i.y abilities.

another option is little sheilds on the back of the mic's, if the have a cardiod pattern then placement and sheilding with respect to where your problems are could clean things up a bit too.

very excellent...haven't recorded in the room yet so just identifying obvious hot-spots...gonna get an 8' x 4' foam-backed plasterboard and screw a timberframe around it to sit neatly in btween the window reveals..the glass is dbl/glazed as is so 2inches of foam&plaster should take the edge off the traffic, right?

like the idea of a makeshift booth too...that would be damned efective.

most grateful.

Hey how come when im in my house i can hear people walking past talking really clearly but when im outside the house I cant hear people inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back