Solaris - yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

From reading posh arty bits in posh papers that are twice the size of an ordinary paper, I've read that Iranian cinema is the thing to name-drop at the moment.

Ivans XTC is a cracking film. It's in your local Chartbusters.... although don't be late with it. The fine cost me....

ahem....

€28.

Geek Chorus

You want geeky? Here's geeky.

Hitchcock's "Rope" looks as if it's the action is continuous (ressembling the stage play on which it was based). But in fact it had to comprise several shots because it was shot on conventional film (as opposed to straight to hard drive, like "Russian Ark"). Reels of 35mm film are quite short (20 minutes? I'm open to correction by King or Queen Geek...) so they had to be changed a number of times, as Wilbert says.

The real ingenuity of it, though, was that Hitchcock found several ways to change the reel without apparently interrupting the action. In one case, he had a character wearing a black jacket pass in front of the camera. When the image was entirely blacked out by the jacket, Hitch took the opportunity to make the cut.

What a guy. (Anyone interested in this class of high nerdery should read Truffaut's book of interviews with Hitchcock.)

And 'cos it's Thursday and the nerdomones are coursing around my veins here's a trivia question for those of you who could give a flying fuck...

What are the names of the two other screen versions of the true story on which "Rope" is based?

Nlgbbbbth, I'm counting on you. Wilbert, how fast are your geek glands?

Originally posted by Wilbert
I think it was done with 5 takes and clever editing.

I am quite the film geek.

Re: Geek Chorus

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
You want geeky? Here's geeky.

Hitchcock's "Rope" looks as if it's the action is continuous (ressembling the stage play on which it was based). But in fact it had to comprise several shots because it was shot on conventional film (as opposed to straight to hard drive, like "Russian Ark"). Reels of 35mm film are quite short (20 minutes? I'm open to correction by King or Queen Geek...) so they had to be changed a number of times, as Wilbert says.

The real ingenuity of it, though, was that Hitchcock found several ways to change the reel without apparently interrupting the action. In one case, he had a character wearing a black jacket pass in front of the camera. When the image was entirely blacked out by the jacket, Hitch took the opportunity to make the cut.

ah i'd forgotten about the 35mm being so short
and the black jacket trick
was all explained by Alex Cocks on Moviedrome some years back

I'm digging this thread up because I'm going to watch Russian Ark on the weekend

is it worth 90 minutes of my life?

my time is at a premium, you understand

and Anne O'Malley, if you're still out there, if you want geeky, "Wilbert" (who is still out there), "Rumpus" (who is out there, though pretending he isn't) and I were once in a band based on Leopold and Loeb, the two killers on whom "Rope" is based.

Now that's geeky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back