Solaris - yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

Big huge YAY to Solaris. The original is good (if you have got the time) but this one is based on the book rather than the previous film.

It is nice to see a good proper grown-up movie for a change.

Also check out Punch-Drunk Love. Absolutely amazing.

Originally posted by Wilbert

that cunt though
he'd put me right off life

the rules of attraction is rappa, saw it at the film festival thing on Monday

Originally posted by cuntface
Has anybody seen Solaris yet?
I saw it last night and am still in two minds about it!

yeah, have to say i was impressed by pretty much everything about it. the guy i went with didn't think much of it though. spent ages talking about what we thought it was actually about.

I hated it. It was turgid and unimaginative and basically a fucking travesty.

Note that I haven't seen the Russian version, but have read the book. It may just be a question of context. But basically the whole thing struck me as a George Clooney egofest 2001 ripoff. I don't think that it was thought-provoking at all. If you want to see Hollywood doing thought-provoking, go see Far From Heaven.

Russian Arse

It might be nominally based on the book but the author, Stanislaw Lem, wasn't exactly enthused by Soderbergh's version, implying it was a bit heavy on the love interest. I have to say that has been my reason for staying away from it, despite being a fan of the original. Is it schmaltzy...?

Anyone go see "Russian Ark" last night? A 90-minute film all shot in a single take...

Originally posted by Wilbert
Big huge YAY to Solaris. The original is good (if you have got the time) but this one is based on the book rather than the previous film.

It is nice to see a good proper grown-up movie for a change.

Originally posted by kstop
I hated it. It was turgid and unimaginative and basically a fucking travesty.

Note that I haven't seen the Russian version, but have read the book. It may just be a question of context. But basically the whole thing struck me as a George Clooney egofest 2001 ripoff. I don't think that it was thought-provoking at all. If you want to see Hollywood doing thought-provoking, go see Far From Heaven.

I havent read the book or see the original, but it did seem to focus alot on the love story. For Clooney, I thought he was pretty good, I'm not normally a big fan. The casting was pretty good too.
There just seemed to be bits left out

Anyone go see "Russian Ark" last night? A 90-minute film all shot in a single take...

that sort of gimmiky-shite puts me off.
is it good? is it bad? dunno, but they made the whole film upsidedown with a script written by a 12 year old albanian monkey... man.

you already do, egg.

very much looking forward to this.

punch drunk love was pretty great, though i wish they'd actually not chopped it down to 90 minutes. i know half the point for paul thomas anderson was see if he *could* make a shorter movie but a lot of it felt underdeveloped. was still brilliant, but for once i wish the film had sprawled a bit.

adaptation...hmmm

Hey wait a sec, this film is getting a bit of a doing here. No idea what the original (book or film) was like, but this is not shmaltzy but any stretch of the imagination. I dunno why anyone's objecting to 'the love story' - the main focus of the film is the effect George Clooney's wife coming back from the dead has on him and on her. Everything else is just context. Less 'love story' would mean less film (or more waffle)

I liked Solaris alot. Twaznt schmaltzy. Maybe Geroges dashingness is a little distracting but it is a good idea well done.

A friend told me Iv'e seen the older movie version with him, but I have no memory of it....can't have been too great.

Not fair to call it 'Hollywood doing thought provoking', given the anti-hollywood motivations of the production company.

(I read about their manifesto recently, it inspires hope...)

just cause they spend some money...dont make it 'hollywood' in that bad sense we all know.

anyone seen love liza yet?

In all fairity, it was a suggestion I'd heard from elsewhere. I'll probably check the film out. Frankly I don't rate Soderbergh very highly but you never know...

There's certainly a lot more than a love story in the book, though, and no it's not just "context". It's heavy on the metaphysics, for starters. But what do you expect? Tarkovsky and Lem are Russians. It's what they do.

American studios generally aren't interested in metaphysics - even though it's very interested in them.

But don't get me started...

Originally posted by egg_
Hey wait a sec, this film is getting a bit of a doing here. No idea what the original (book or film) was like, but this is not shmaltzy but any stretch of the imagination. I dunno why anyone's objecting to 'the love story' - the main focus of the film is the effect George Clooney's wife coming back from the dead has on him and on her. Everything else is just context. Less 'love story' would mean less film (or more waffle)

I'm sitting here like a critical sniper
Goin' ta shoot my criticisms like a viper
And if you think I'm a muthafuckin' twat
I'll hit yo ass with my lyrical bat

That's the Pope rap

man

Em... yeah.... Solaris... crap operating system. Bunch of piss. Movies? Everything is merely a filler until the next Jim Jarmusch movie.

If only time went backwards, we'd still have the best Jim Jarmusch movie to look backwards to: "Stranger Than Paradise".

And I'll be in the habit of strolling around pubs - White Russian in one hand, cigarillo in the other - making startling pronouncements such as "Black and white film? That sort of gimmicky shite really puts me off."

(I'm not leaving this one go.)

Originally posted by Knacker

I'm sitting here like a critical sniper
Goin' ta shoot my criticisms like a viper
And if you think I'm a muthafuckin' twat
I'll hit yo ass with my lyrical bat

That's the Pope rap

man

Em... yeah.... Solaris... crap operating system. Bunch of piss. Movies? Everything is merely a filler until the next Jim Jarmusch movie.

Re: Russian Arse

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
It might be nominally based on the book but the author, Stanislaw Lem, wasn't exactly enthused by Soderbergh's version, implying it was a bit heavy on the love interest. I have to say that has been my reason for staying away from it, despite being a fan of the original. Is it schmaltzy...?

Not schmaltzy per se, no. They did focus on the love story angle, but it's done really really badly. Basically we know that the two leads love each other coz they say so repeatedly, in a monotone. Otherwise they're effectively mannequins.

As for "anti-hollywood" motivations, give me a small break. That's just spin. It was released by Fox, ffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back