So What Are Ye Making Of The DEAF? (1 Viewer)

pat kenny said:
the deaf fest is the most boring festival in the world. its official.......

so...!zed engaging...!zed sorry pat nodded off there...

thats funny by the looks of your photo you seem to be having a pretty good time at the festival. or were you just waiting for gerry ryan to sit on you?

patkenny.jpg

frambosenshmak said:
yeah it started off a bit cheesy but then after a while it really got damn funky and there was an amazing atmosphere too crowd bouncing a go go.

I agree about the atmosphere--it was great, and that counted for a lot.

But I think G2G stayed pretty cheesy throughout. They sounded like a '70s jazz-funk band to me. So I didn't really particularly enjoy it musically. But I'm much more of a Mills/Hood/Banks-era UR fan than the later, smoother stuff, so that's maybe no huge surprise.

For me the DEAF highlight was definitely the Filmbase gig on Saturday, expecially Pamelia Kirsten. Brilliant stuff. Roger Doyle & Friends were also very good (much better than I expected, to be honest). Thought Lisle Ellis was pure virtuosic wankery, though--bored my pants off.

Also enjoyed most of the Crash Ensemble/Arnold Dreyblatt gig on Thursday. Despite very all-over-the-shop sound, the Terry Riley, La Monte Young and solo Arnold Dreyblatt pieces were excellent. The Lucier piece was a nice try, but didn't work 'cause of the Sugar Club's shit acoustics. And I couldn't stand the last Dreyblatt piece at all--the CE's performance was too studied and dry for my tastes.

Decal/Bird on Wire in Lazybird on Sunday were also really good. (Thanks to Dave & the O'Boyles for playing, and to everyone who came down for that.) Also had good drunken fun at the Undercurrent showcase on Friday.

Overall, though, I don't think I enjoyed this year's DEAF as much as last year's. It just seemed a bit unfocused and lacking in energy. Still, I preferred it to the first two years in the Storehouse.

Paul

Wheels said:
You missed a fairly funky gig in Galaxy to Galaxy on Sunday.
WAS ROCKIN OUT IN ENNISKERRY WIT JIMI HENDRIX, CHER AND VINCE NEAL AT AN AMAZING PARTY IN A BARN. THE COPS SHOWED UP AND STUCK AROUND FOR A WHILE IT WAS SOOO GOOD. THERE WAS A DEADLY BAND TOO... ONE YOU COULD ACTUALLY ROCK TO. THEY LOOKED LIKE FUNKADELIC AND SOUNDED LIKE THA ALLMAN BROTHERS.
ALLAHQUANDO!!!

Osama Van Halen said:
WAS ROCKIN OUT IN ENNISKERRY WIT JIMI HENDRIX, CHER AND VINCE NEAL AT AN AMAZING PARTY IN A BARN. THE COPS SHOWED UP AND STUCK AROUND FOR A WHILE IT WAS SOOO GOOD. THERE WAS A DEADLY BAND TOO... ONE YOU COULD ACTUALLY ROCK TO. THEY LOOKED LIKE FUNKADELIC AND SOUNDED LIKE THA ALLMAN BROTHERS.
ALLAHQUANDO!!!

fuckers.

HitsLikeAGirl said:

what you moanin about. sure you wouldnt have gone anyway ;)
how'd the dog handle halloween? give out any chocolate covered veg/booze soaked fruit to the trick or treaters or was yours the house from 'the burbs' that all the kids were too scared to go near?

The sunday roast @bia bar was fantastic,
hight lights were fairllights,
and barámbramauma (spelling not sure)
last night in in re-ra aka rehab

frambosenshmak said:
what you moanin about. sure you wouldnt have gone anyway ;)
how'd the dog handle halloween? give out any chocolate covered veg/booze soaked fruit to the trick or treaters or was yours the house from 'the burbs' that all the kids were too scared to go near?

I volunteered to babysit. But, i probably would'nt have gone anyway.

Chocolate covered razorblades for the young ones and poppers disguised as candy for the pubertons.

Was fun.

Got some great photos actually.

Yeah, Exile/Chevron was pretty much the highlight for myself, especially given the shiteness of the Dorans gig Chevron played, the crowd at this one was well up for it. Completely taken by surprise with the UR gig, wasn't expecting it to be that good at all. I was fairly sozzled, buy I was very taken by the Japanesse guy who was on before Galaxy 2 Galaxy, especially with the weird vocal choppings. I thought the crowd were pretty off-putting, and looked like they weren't going to drop the muso attitude all night, but chrsit that changed during G2G. The Filmbase thing had me worried before going, it reminded me at some stages of standing around an art gallery, where the purpose was to peer at DJ's on the same level you would a painting. But yeah, my back was shivering after the thermin one, that basement was like bing trapped in the soundtrack to a seventies sci-fi movie. Annoyed I couldn't actually see what she was doing as I was led to believe it was rather freaky. Max Tundra sucked, I didn't really know what to expect at it, but fucking hell it was dinner party music. And as someone I was with said, it was as if the crowd were too young to admit to their freinds that "yeah-this sucks." More than two people I know fled and ran straight up to Traffic for the Afuken gig. The guy on before Tundra was great though, as was Herv by all accounts.

thanks, yeah, we had a laugh alright. was the crowd really that young? It was a real shame that the horrorthon was on at the same time as the gig, the volume had to be dropped considerably so as not to disturb the punters inside.

Enjoyed Decal and Bird on Wire very much, G2G also in spots. Getting to drunkenly punch the air during Jaguar was an unexpected delight.

Well, what a disappointment!

I was really looking forward to this festival as I've enjoyed the previous years (mind you I totally missed it last year) but this was a total let-down. I thought the FilmBase gig would be good but, as was already mentioned, there was an issue with beer. The beer never actually ran out, nor did the tokens (I could see them through the window) but the people allocating them decided that three was far too much to be handing out to 'ordinary' punters, I can only assume tokens were being reserved for friends (if anyone cares to refute these allegations please do).
FilmBase is totally unsuited to this sort of event, I tried to watch Lakker (who seemed decent) but they were in a shite location and the music coming from upstairs and the "films" showing in the room off the entrance totally ruined any chance of enjoying them. There were visuals promised on the flyers (as was beer but I've covered that) but I saw nothing of interest, a spinny celtic swirl above Lakker does not qualify as visuals in my opinion, admittedly I did not spend enough time in the basement to notice any visuals, that theremin chick was wailing into a mic like some form of crazy bitch and I had to leg it.
Upstairs, Anne Garner(??) was trying to sing, but as she had been fucked into a corner under the stairs, she was standing in front of the speakers, feedback city along with her almost being bumped out of the way by passers-by.

I really felt like thrashing the place, fortunately I hassled some guy at the door until I got beer tokens, claimed my beer and fucked off. I was talking to a lot of people over the weekend and they all felt totally cheated and disappointed by the whole thing.

Now, as it happens there was a load of other stuff on over the city that was not DEAF related but was way better, Thursday night in the Belvedere there were some planet-mu types who rocked, and DUMB in the Ice Bar was a really good event, good music (especially Sunday when everyone was too bolloxed to move) and a really nice unpretentious crowd.

When DEAF began I really thought it could become a major world-renowned gig, after this year I'd be concerned for the future of it.

I've a few questions if anyone can answer;

Why is the storehouse not being used? I know it was'nt perfect but it was a lot more suitable than FilmBase.
What happened to the film screenings in Meeting House Square?
What the hell happened to the visuals, I have screensavers that are better than what I saw at the weekend?
Why is this event getting weaker by the year?

todd_landers said:
that theremin chick was wailing into a mic like some form of crazy bitch and I had to leg it.

No she wasn't. I saw the whole thing sitting at the very front. She had no microphone just a theremin, filter and 2 sampler pedals. It was an exceptionally disciplined and focused performance; even staying in tune on theremin is difficult.

I'd agree with you about Filmbase being unsuitable and Alphabet set nights in the Ice Bar being deadly though.

The sound was muck in the basement especially for the bass-heavy acts.
Even a pair of heavy curtains would have helped the spill into the cinema a bit. There was nowhere to dance either.

todd_landers said:
Well, what a disappointment!
I've a few questions if anyone can answer;

Why is the storehouse not being used? I know it was'nt perfect but it was a lot more suitable than FilmBase.
What happened to the film screenings in Meeting House Square?
What the hell happened to the visuals, I have screensavers that are better than what I saw at the weekend?
Why is this event getting weaker by the year?
STOREHOUSE IS AN INSURANCE BLACKSPOT FOR BIG EVENTS LIKE THAT.

THE FILM SCREENINGS????? FIANNA FAIL STYLE LIES!!!!!

VISUALS??? DON"T START... THERE'S TOO MANY PEOPLE WHO ARE SHIT AT WHAT THEY DO AND THEY ALL THINK THEY CAN MAKE SHIT MOVE..THEY SURE AS HELL CAN'T.

I BELIEVE IT'S GETTING WEAKER EVERY YEAR BECAUSE THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T GIVE A FLYIN' FUCK ABOUT THE PAYING PUBLIC OR THE ARTISTS THEY BRING OVER. WASN'T SUPPOSE TO BE AT SONAR AND ALL THOSE FESTIVALS BY NOW??? THATS WHAT THEY TOLD ME FOUR YEARS AGO

YO D1!!!!! MAKE IT INTERESTING FOR FOLKS!!!!!!!
Dublin Electronic Arts Festival
MORE LIKE YAWN.... Yer Awful Woefull Nerds

ALLAHQUANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back