So Ridley Scott's a racist now, gee great (1 Viewer)

I really loathe people in this country sometimes.

Also what is the difference between using "Person of Colour" and "Coloured" apart from the fact that the PC police said one is ok for some reason and one is not? "Coloured" has been frowned upon now for a pretty long time.

One thing that bugs me about the right-on internet (or perhaps it's just Anglophonic right-on internet) is that there's slant to it that everything must conform to the American social/racial paradigm, it's nearly imperialist in a way,

I remember reading a buzzfeed list recently called something like "17 disgusting examples of white privilege". I got to number 8 before I realised the list should have been called; "17 disgusting examples of white privilege IN AMERICA".

Last edited:
I really loathe people in this country sometimes.

Also what is the difference between using "Person of Colour" and "Coloured" apart from the fact that the PC police said one is ok for some reason and one is not? "Coloured" has been frowned upon now for a pretty long time.

I think its not really the PC Police though, its what people actually want to refer to themselves as??? And that's important. That said, any collectivist term is problematic by nature, so peoples individual signifiers should be respected too. I don't know how this has anything to do with the "PC police". People trying to abide by what a group wish to refer to themselves is irritating for others? So the fuck what.

@Unicron is right though, its not for everyone, it doesn't make sense for everyone, and just because a percentage of people prefer the therm doesn't make it OK to lump everyone with it. I dunno, I use it because most people I know like to be referred to that way, but I don't think people react badly if you call them by this term, they tell you why they don't like it, and you apologise and call them by what they wish to be referred to as. Its only a minefield if you make it one.

Also what is the difference between using "Person of Colour" and "Coloured" apart from the fact that the PC police said one is ok for some reason and one is not?

I'd be of the opinion that the former one is what some persons of colour choose to self-identify with, and the latter is a pejorative used by whites.

A tiny unrepresentative group of self-designated language arbiters in the US introduced 'person of color', seeing the need to introduced new racial euphemisms every so often. Most 'persons of color' probably have no heed on the term [citation needed]. Anyway, these arbiters should have avoided an ugly mutation of 'colored' for their new word, in my opinion. It annoys me on an aesthetic level and on an ill-defined, instinctive, irrational, inconsistent distaste for American cultural hegemony level.

Think I've only been accidentally racist once in my life, but it still gives me shudders.

Was talking to an Asian guy at a gig in Chicago, and he mentioned he was off to Japan in the morning.

Me: "Oh nice, how long has it been since you were there?"
Him: "Um...I've never been there, I'm from LA."

I think its not really the PC Police though, its what people actually want to refer to themselves as??? And that's important. That said, any collectivist term is problematic by nature, so peoples individual signifiers should be respected too. I don't know how this has anything to do with the "PC police". People trying to abide by what a group wish to refer to themselves is irritating for others? So the fuck what.

Ok I genuinely wasn't educated on the origins of POC.
I still am not, I'm just not sure what committees or how these committees agree on racial or social terminology.

I think maybe I was referring to PC police due to the collective term vs the wishes of an individual and somehow it all reminds me of the first minute of this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think I've only been accidentally racist once in my life, but it still gives me shudders.

Was talking to an Asian guy at a gig in Chicago, and he mentioned he was off to Japan in the morning.

Me: "Oh nice, how long has it been since you were there?"
Him: "Um...I've never been there, I'm from LA."

I've had that conversation.
"Where are you from?"
"Boston"
"I mean originally."
"(pause) Boston."
(long fucking pause)

Stupidest things I ever heard in work (race-related category)

From a colleague: "Sure how could he be Irish??? He's black!!!" referring to Barack Obama's Irish ancestry.

From a customer: (Referring to an Asian colleague of mine) "I was talking to the dark girl the other day" (Colleague appears) "No this girl was darker..."

Yeah. And like... what happened to give him the name? I'm pretty sure I've reached a point in my life where I'd just walk out without saying anything if I realised I was on a date with a racist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back