So Ridley Scott's a racist now, gee great (2 Viewers)

jonah

Anyone been following the controversy surrounding the new Exodus movie by Ridley Scott? I'm probably way behind the wave.

Moses is going to be played by Christian Bale, and Ramses by Joel Edgerton. Basically in fake tan and eyeliner, essentially doing yellow face, while pretty much the only actual POC in the movie are playing slaves in the background/supporting cast.... so YEAH. THERE'S THAT.

exodus-gods-kings-joel-edgerton.jpg

Ridley Scott then basically went on to kind of comment but not really comment on the casting, saying Egypt was culturally diverse, which... Oh man, it makes me so sad. WHY RIDLEY?

It's just like that travesty Prince of Persia, which had Jake Gyllenhaal and Gemma Arterton ALSO JUST WEARING LOTS OF EYELINER (Can I ask what the fuck this eyeliner thing is about? Does that make you Arabic? what the flying fuck) and pretending to be Iranian.

gaddafi-stuff-06.jpg

Like... Jesus. I don't understand, because there are amazing arabic and black actors and this is even in the mainstream, and like, isn't Ridley Scott supposedly a man thats mad into historical accuracy? AND he's basically trying to pawn it off on the notion that EGYPT WAS AND IS LIKE WAY CULTURALLY DIVERSE SO I HAVE PEOPLE OF ALL DENOMINATIONS IN THIS MOVIE. Yeeeeeah brah, no. That doesn't really stand up when all of your main casting goes to straight up, white dudes.

Anyway, mine is hyperbolic, but this is a good article

At a guess it's mainly down to money. He's more capitalist than purposely and outrageously racist and wanted a known, famous person, almost none of which are non-white.

Although obviously fuck him for this, he has enough money and could have actually used his film to promote someone non-white and made them famous.

So yeah, this film is racist.

see also: that film about Nina Simone where they got the whitest looking black person they possibly could to play her.

At a guess it's mainly down to money. He's more capitalist than purposely and outrageously racist and wanted a known, famous person, almost none of which are non-white.

Although obviously fuck him for this, he has enough money and could have actually used his film to promote someone non-white and made them famous.

So yeah, this film is racist.

see also: that film about Nina Simone where they got the whitest looking black person they possibly could to play her.

Ah it is all about money of course, which makes it even worse, because its presuming that a white cast is more of a commercial draw for audiences than a person of colour. Which.. I mean if thats true, then this is a very, very sad state of affairs.

a white cast is more of a commercial draw for audiences than a person of colour. Which.. I mean if thats true, then this is a very, very sad state of affairs.

It is very very true.

Hollywood has never really been about verisimilitude. Its only agenda is money. If the movie-going public went to see movies with black and brown people in starring roles, more movies like that would be made.

The only people I can think of that have broken through on this are Will Smith and Denzel.

It is very very true.

Hollywood has never really been about verisimilitude. Its only agenda is money. If the movie-going public went to see movies with black and brown people in starring roles, more movies like that would be made.

The only people I can think of that have broken through on this are Will Smith and Denzel.

I do agree with this, but I don't think its that simple either. There's a relationship between studios and audiences and not all of what is put on screen is purely audiences feeding into studio, and seeing their demands met. It works both ways, and in a lot of ways they're creating that demand and people think its what they want to see. How are people supposed to go see movies with POC leads if there are none being made? None that are getting the same blockbuster and mass-effect treatment?

Hollywood is straight up, historically, a bigoted system, and thats that. Yes it represents largely what its mass audience "wants to see" but there is DEFINITELY a huge growing young audience for alternative storytelling - and not just white indie male directors telling their stories - and there's no output for them. Its the same way there are no roles other than HOT YOUNG WOMAN for female actors. There's a plethora of talent, and they're fighting it out for a minute amount of non-hideous roles.

BUT YEAH JESUS THIS SUCKS.

here for fucks sake, this is hollywood. when did any sense of realism, sticking to the facts or integrity ever get in the way of a good money spinner.

you guys.

And if people don't talk about it, challenge it and call it out on its shit then it'll never change. Its a melting point right now and people need to give a shit about the fact that entire races of people are still being represented as only slaves in their own stories or thought of as not good enough to represent themselves.

Fact is it doesn't surprise us, but it SHOULD. We should be outraged every fucking day.

Well, if he's doing a film ABOUT ACTUAL REAL EVENTS THAT ALMOST CERTAINLY HAPPENED AND WEREN'T JUST WRITTEN DOWN BY SOME ANCIENT STONERS WHO ARE PROBABLY STILL LAUGHING AT US EVEN NOW, then yeah, use real people, or whatever.

Well, if he's doing a film ABOUT ACTUAL REAL EVENTS THAT ALMOST CERTAINLY HAPPENED AND WEREN'T JUST WRITTEN DOWN BY SOME ANCIENT STONERS WHO ARE PROBABLY STILL LAUGHING AT US EVEN NOW, then yeah, use real people, or whatever.

Thats an easy out to be honest. THE BIBLE IS A CROCK OF SHIT THEREFORE THIS IS FICTION LOL, SO ITS TOTALLY FINE FOR HIM TO REPRESENT CULTURE THIS WAY.

Myth is still a part of culture, it doesn't have to be crystal fact for it to be important.

Thats an easy out to be honest. THE BIBLE IS A CROCK OF SHIT THEREFORE THIS IS FICTION LOL, SO ITS TOTALLY FINE FOR HIM TO REPRESENT CULTURE THIS WAY.

Myth is still a part of culture, it doesn't have to be crystal fact for it to be important.
I don't need an out. Really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back