So, erm, that article in the Times about the bank bailout everyone is reading (1 Viewer)

Just read that article out w the wife....we're fucked, fucked, fucked, fucked, fuckedy, fuck, FUCKED!!

I'm fucking spitting mad...I know its too late for effective action or protest but are we all ok w this? At some point we'll need a fuckin international rescue when the entire population is out on the streets in desperation and despair wondering why we didn't get out in huge numbers when it could have 'encouraged' the CUNTS in Dail Fucking Eireann to consider our desire to not be fucked in the arse.

And Kelly's right about anti-EU political parties gaining strength coz all I can think is 'can we opt out of Europe and start a solo career'!

Ah I'm fucking incapable of making sense at this point..I'm sick of the whole fucking caboodle..was thinking of relocating to Kerry w a job prospect, rent a larger house for our growing family and cross our fingers. Now I'm only wondering when will it be too late to emigrate to France.

freaking out here.

Take it easy Milker...seriously..it'll all work out..has to...panicking will get us nowhere!

I'm a Taoist at heart Gaz...taking it easy and flowing like water is me way, bro.
We'll be grand coz we're cool but w a 3rd kid on the way we've decisions to make(gaf is too small) and the clock is ticking.

You're right tho, I'll chill a bit :)

dont they also like their new countries to sell off all state-run bodies (cie, esb, health and education systems etc) to private business at knockdown prices? mary harney seems to be into that anyway.

this lad has another view of it all

So perhaps a little self-flagellation is in order? Now I'm not going to say that Morgan is being unpatriotic or that the Irish Times has been irresponsible in publishing his piece or that it's all very well for him in his tenured ivory tower yada yada. It's too easy to exaggerate the impact of such things (nine out of ten adults don't read the Irish Times and all that). And like I said, I do enjoy a good polemic myself from time-to-time.

But his polemic bugged me. Partly it was the supercilious introduction with the faux 'breaking news' story from Our Lady of the Eurozone Hospital, but mostly it was the silly - and I mean embarrassingly silly - attempt at a Gerald Celente style forecast of impending social unrest, neo-fascism and Mad Max redux. Or should that be Mad Mick? Though I do enjoy Gerald, I must admit. Here's Morgan:

"As ordinary people start to realise that this thing is not only happening, it is happening to them, we can see anxiety giving way to the first upwellings of an inchoate rage and despair that will transform Irish politics along the lines of the Tea Party in America. Within five years, both Civil War parties are likely to have been brushed aside by a hard right, anti-Europe, anti-Traveller party that, inconceivable as it now seems, will leave us nostalgic for the, usually, harmless buffoonery of Biffo, Inda, and their chums."

Of course, the awkward fact that there are absolutely no harbingers of this happening should not be allowed to get in the way of an unhappy ending.

this lad has another view of it all

Not so much 'another view of it all' as a snipe at the 'only 1 in 10 adults read the Irish Times' stats(nyah-nyah)..thought he came off a little jealous of Kelly's standing.

And the John McHale article is really only criticizing Kellys over-assertion that it is the fans destiny to rendezvous w the shit.

As said already its not alone the detail of what Kelly is saying that is arresting but that he's gotten it right too often.

It shall be interesting to see how all this plays out. The depressing aspect behind this all is the terrible pre-existing state of so many government services (health, transport, yadda yadda), with massive spending cuts proposed & voluntary redundancies, it's going to be a farce. It's a ridiculous situation with the 2011 budget having to be green-lit by Jackie Healy Rae on condition of him getting a hospital/by-pass. Oli Rehn needs to pay him a visit today and unleash a can of whoop ass.

It's all terribly depressing. When we go looking for more cash from the bond markets next year we'll be laughed at. The EU and IMF will have to bail us out which will be a pretty big blow psychologically. It's also likely that the by-elections will happen in the spring which will likely lead to the collapse of the Govt (if they survive past the budget). A new FG/Labour Govt will have to deal with all this shit plus the mortgage crisis which Kelly has flagged up.

So what would the IMF do if they came in to bail us out?

The first priority would be to cut public expenditure. This will likely involve cutting public sector pay across the board, likely by a double digit percentage figure. Social welfare would be slashed in a big way, dole could come down by 50 quid a week easy. State assets would have to be sold off e.g. the ESB, Bord Gais, trains, busses, aer lingus shares.

Shit just got real.

Whatever about the merits of Kelly's economic argument (which I don't consider myself informed enough to argue for or against), his political 'prediction' is ridiculous. If we were gonna have Jorg O'Haider runnign the show within 5 years, he'd be knocking about in the public sphere already. There are no signs of this.

Whatever about the merits of Kelly's economic argument (which I don't consider myself informed enough to argue for or against), his political 'prediction' is ridiculous. If we were gonna have Jorg O'Haider runnign the show within 5 years, he'd be knocking about in the public sphere already. There are no signs of this.

You might be right there, his ability to predict political trends may not be as attuned as his ability in economics. However, what he is suggesting is not beyond the realms of possibility. Consider the amount of support that a reinvigorated Libertas could generate in the face of hugely damaging cuts imposed by the EU/IMF. It's one thing when our politicians are hanging us our to dry...it's quite another when it's 'The Germans/French/Brits'.

This will likely involve cutting public sector pay across the board, likely by a double digit percentage figure.

if this happens (again) the country will collapse financially. there are too many people employed in the public service, too many of whom are already borderline bankrupt.

if this happens (again) the country will collapse financially. there are too many people employed in the public service, too many of whom are already borderline bankrupt.

The IMF went into Latvia a few years back. Public sector pay in that country has dropped by around 25% since then. I work part-time in the public sector as well so any cut would be pretty severe on my wage.

But...the reality is...we are where we are...we've turn a corner...going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back