So, erm, that article in the Times about the bank bailout everyone is reading (1 Viewer)

that is to say; that article everyone is reading in the times about the bank bailout

his last shocker seems to have been spot on, according to himself at least. i don't understand economics at all. i was thinking of emigrating in the new year but i wonder now if i'll be able to borrow the money for a flight. anyone know any decent moneylenders? i'll be able to sing laments for my ecb/imf statelet across the sea.

grammar tips said:
Even if a sentence is not rendered nonsense by a dangling participle, it will still be ambiguous, and that is almost as bad.

ambiguity and nonsense, my two favourite things.

i thought your two favourite things were adam ant and the wildhearts...and prince...and that band with nadine coyle and cheryl thing

Informed enough: No.
Opinion: Yes.

here's my take at present. If you are thinking of emigrating, stop thinking and do it, it will be harder next year then this year and send us some money when you make it.
As for Ireland in general its quite simple really. Stop importing everything. buy irish, and export labour or intellectual skills and more tax penalties on the leeching mutlinationals... there isn't any other way this country can make money at any time ever. Any business that can be conducted via broadband is worth looking at these days...stores like tesco, ikea, penny's, dunnes should be regarded as giant syringes that regionally extract money and send it to other countries - I'd guess on par with the banks for bloodletting in this country. The unwillingness to pay a few bob extra for something thats made local reduces the opportunity for people who make things local to improve their talents, which is in turn quelling the chances of improving on the export industry. anything that involves rain is worth developing too, we have that in abundance. Also, most civil service jobs should be considered as national service, possibly in tandem with universities, for 2-5 year periods - as we stand its socially regarded as a place you go where you don't have to think about where money comes from for the rest of your life, thats very unhealthy.... many countries do national service, we are far behind in that and there is no need for it to be military service.

oh and this:

Chairman-Mao.jpg

I have a relative who works in AIB and he assured me, this time last year, that it's all going to get waay worse, worse than you or I can even imagine I is John.

ann post,your saying we need a dictator?

hmmmm... maybe u was in april but generally no. I do think cherry picking the parts of communism that would improve or maintain quality of life is going to be a necessity. And wether people like it or not, other elements of it have already started to be imposed. The 'work placement program' that there are about 20 acres of internet devoted to over on boards - you'll hear the same argument for/against a lot. basically people say 'well i'm not going to work for nothing', then people say 'that isnt nothing, thats almost 200 euro a week' - but what it is essentially is state employment for less then minimum wage (which i was talking about 2 years ago and being called insane). its a necessity because we cant compete on export with anyone, being an island and having a stupidly high minimum wage is fucking us as much as anything else.

did the need for a high minimum wage not arise as a consequence of the higher cost of living which came about because of the property bubble? I saw some cunt on the TV there a while back, i think he was from IBEQ or some one of those organisations that try to ensure people are paid as little as possible so that businesses can maximize profit, and he was saying that people on higher wages won't accept being paid less unless those on lower wages first have their wages lowered because it will seem like the status/value of the higher paid person is being denigrated by bringing it closer to those on lower wages doing less prestigious jobs. therefore, he claimed, it was necessary to start reducing wage costs by cutting those with least first so that those on higher wages will not feel belittled.

did the need for a high minimum wage not arise as a consequence of the higher cost of living which came about because of the property bubble?

yes it did. so why shouldnt it drop with the price of houses?? (i know the answer by the way, because loans were given on that basis and it would increase defaults, a 'snake bites its own tail' scenario.) - but in cold logic terms, if it rises with property prices, then it should drop with them.

ah yeah, im just moaning about the way the burden of all these measures is distributed so unfairly. let the badly paid take a pay cut first, let the public sector workers and social welfare recipients take a hit first because their easy targets, all that crap that only turns people against each other instead of creating a sense of everyone being in the shit together. if this guys article is right there will be more bitterness next year when the mortgages are in trouble.

if it makes you feel better i have a fat cat relative who's been hit pretty hard...he might have to sell his third home this year.

all that crap that only turns people against each other instead of creating a sense of everyone being in the shit together. if this guys article is right there will be more bitterness next year when the mortgages are in trouble.

see my ranting on the 'public vs private' thread for evidence on how much i agree with you. (or if you couldnt be bothered doing that, in short, i agree with you)

if it makes you feel better i have a fat cat relative who's been hit pretty hard...he might have to sell his third home this year.

lets all chip in and help this guy out.
on the work placement thing-im in agreement with it,people shouldn't feel they're entitled to sit on their asses and get paid for it every week,it breeds laziness,im not saying everyone on the scratcher is bone idle but there is a sizeable element who have no intention of working ever.and why would they when state benefits are generous to a fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back