Sinn Fein's support of the PSNI cost them votes in ROI (1 Viewer)

Well, the majority in the Republic still favour Unity. They just don't agree with the Sinn Fein approach.

Fianna Fail's victory shows that sensible Republicanism is the way forward.
Sinn Fein kept playing the 'Up the Ra' Card in an attempt to mask potential support for NI's corrupt force. If Fianna Fail will operate in NI then they would have my vote.

Well, the majority in the Republic still favour Unity. They just don't agree with the Sinn Fein approach.

Fianna Fail's victory shows that sensible Republicanism is the way forward.
Sinn Fein kept playing the 'Up the Ra' Card in an attempt to mask potential support for NI's corrupt force. If Fianna Fail will operate in NI then they would have my vote.

Off to Politics.ie with you. Nobody here gives a hoot.

Yeah.
I think a whole lot of people wildly overestimate how much folks down south care about the north.
Sure, if asked in a survey they'll be broadly in favour of 'unity', but mention the massive tax hikes that would almost certainly entail and they'll run the other way.

The only people I know who care about the north, but who aren’t actually from the North, are idiots.
No one else gives a damn.

The only people I know who care about the north, but who aren’t actually from the North, are idiots.
No one else gives a damn.

Irish people fought and rebelled to have independence and while the south got it and everyone became happy what about the Irish who were left stranded up in the north of the island?

I dont think so, all the smaller parties lost out, after consensis* was reached at the special ard fheis, I think their core non-party support just went with the flow.they just failed to make any gains in the "mary lou, middle class, lets not talk about the nasty past ,lets look towards the future" section which grew for them in the last eurpoean elections and all opinion polls over the last few years.
the support of the PSNI had fuck all to do with it.

*I have two mates who are party members, were staunchly anti joining the policing board, and got their invitations to the ard-fheis the day after it happened.Now thats marxism.

But they had exactly the same stance in the previous Republic general election Oly and they got a bigger vote......of course it does cost them votes but not necc more then last time so to speak :)

I think the Shinners shouldn't have bothered playing the 32-county Republic card to skangers who weren't going to bother voting anyway. I know a few people who are bothered about the North, but most of them are more worried about the economic and social state of the place rather than whether it's part of the Republic or not.

And yes, this election was all about Mé Féin rather than Sinn Féin. It's good that most Irish people will at least admit that they vote for whoever they think will give them more money.

But they had exactly the same stance in the previous Republic general election Oly and they got a bigger vote......of course it does cost them votes but not necc more then last time so to speak :)
I suppose you're right. Maybe it's because a good proportion of scumbags who voted for them last time are still locked up from last year's riot on O'Connell St. :p

Sinn Féin just played the whole election all wrong. They went with Mary Lou et al, assuming the new face of the sinners will get them votes. They left out their hard core in place of these. But the hard core would have voted for the new breed anyway. What they neglected to do was disavow ciminal acts and it wasn't helped by fuckwits like McDowell very nearly blathering official secrets on the telly just to get some votes. His plan worked. People who were borderline didn't vote Sinn Féin. But it also backfired on him as people who were borderline about him didn't want a prick like him or his ilk representing them.

The plain and simple matter is that most of the electorate abhor violence and crime and until Sinn Féin categorically and demonstrably rid themselves of that side of their "politics", the average person will not vote for them. Not as a first preference and that's what's needed.

But, it's changing. Not as fast as they'd like, but it will happen.

A lot of people do care about the North. Voting Sinn Fein down here does not mean anything at present as it's still officially a different country. But it does affect us in other ways.

Young people alway mouth off about it being none of their business, but that's usually a lack of political maturity. I care about it and I care about what happens in the UK and America. These things affect our lives daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back