Sinead O'Connor..take a fucking bow. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 567
  • Views 52K
  • Watchers 9
I think she's missing the point. If those tweets do make her look bad, it's not because she was going through some sort of a breakdown at the time, it's because she claims in them to have no other means of contacting a psychiatrist other than through twitter.

You have to go online to get onto twitter. There are many places online where you can get information on the support available to those suffering from all types of illnesses. Twitter is probably the last place anyone would go. Unless they were "Just looking for attention".

perhaps it was a cry for help?

in which case twitter is probably perfect.

perhaps it was a cry for help?

in which case twitter is probably perfect.

Well that depends on what sort of help you're looking for.

Maybe Sinead's condition is such that twitter is a perfect outlet for her, but in that she wouldn't be representative of those who suffer from mental illness.

So perhaps she should stop claiming to speak for them?

Or, at the very least, perhaps do so in a way that doesn't give rise to the suspicion that she's merely seeking publicity?

An open letter to Miley Cyrus? C'mon.

With all these public spates (not singling out this one in particular), I wish everyone involved would take the time to spell/grammar check their retorts. Nothing worse than realising $famous person turns out to be an illiterate nonce.

Maybe Sinead's condition is such that twitter is a perfect outlet for her, but in that she wouldn't be representative of those who suffer from mental illness.

So perhaps she should stop claiming to speak for them?

her intentions in this case seem pretty sound to me. Its not like she completely jumped in out of the blue. Her name had been mentioned as someone Mylie Cyrus looked up to. That was the motivation for her original letter. The rest is a reaction to Mylie Cyrus' quite juvenile response.

I'd be happy to have Sinead O'Connor represent me and fight my corner for me, were the case ever to arise. Shes speaking from a position of personal knowledge and experience and thus is not as ignorant of the facts of mental illness as some others. Plus, she'll see a fight through.

Her name had been mentioned as someone Mylie Cyrus looked up to.

She never said she looked up to her, she said no such thing and that's what makes Sinead's first letter even more stupid. Sinead should have read the interview before she started shiting out of her.

ON THE "WRECKING BALL" VIDEO
It's the opposite of the VMAs. It's like the Sinead O'Connor video [for "Nothing Compares 2 U"], but, like, the most modern version. I wanted it to be tough but really pretty – that's what Sinead did with her hair and everything.

She never said she looked up to her, she said no such thing and that's what makes Sinead's first letter even more stupid. Sinead should have read the interview before she started shiting out of her.

Yeah i doubt she knows anything beyond that video.

Poor Sinead.

I want Sinead to re-do the rip-up-the-photo-of-the-pope but with Miley instead. I wish these celebrities would tap into the magic of Youtube.

Isn't it Sinead O'Connor who's really doing harm to those who suffer from mental illness?

I think she's missing the point. If those tweets do make her look bad, it's not because she was going through some sort of a breakdown at the time, it's because she claims in them to have no other means of contacting a psychiatrist other than through twitter.

You have to go online to get onto twitter. There are many places online where you can get information on the support available to those suffering from all types of illnesses. Twitter is probably the last place anyone would go. Unless they were "Just looking for attention".

Maybe that's an awful thing to say. Maybe I'm just completely ignorant of what people suffering from mental health issues go through? (maybe I'm not?)

I see Sinead is now talking about her career. I'd doubt if this publicity will do her any harm. On balance, I don't think she's making life any easier for those who suffer from mental illness however (on whose behalf she is now demanding an apology from the woman she called a prostitute).

I thought Sinead's initial letter brought up some good points. There were some things I disagreed with but if there was one big issue with it that I had it was that no matter how difficult it is not to fall into that trap it can be really problematic when you try to examine or comment on someone else's situation when you filter it through your own personal experience and don't consider that someone else's circumstances may be entirely different from yours. That kind of solipsism is really self aggrandising and invites a negative response.

I have bigger problems with her subsequent letters, being outraged on Amanda Bynes' behalf and on behalf of everyone who has mental health issues. C'mon, those letters aren't about anyone else but Sinead.

I think you could imply from that that she was, at least, pretty impressed by what Sinead did.

but yes, she never explicitly state she looked up to her. My bad.

Sweet!

I had to look up solipsism there..also pretty sweet!

... it can be really problematic when you try to examine or comment on someone else's situation when you filter it through your own personal experience and don't consider that someone else's circumstances may be entirely different from yours. That kind of solipsism is really self aggrandising and invites a negative response.

There is a place for this though. Isn't that was addiction/bereavement councilling, etc is based on? No 2 people are going to experience things the same way but I think it helps greatly (even if just from a sympathetic point of view) when you try to engage with someone who is potentially going through what you went through yourself. And even if the experience of the suffering doesn't tally, there is certainly a usefulness in relating how you dealt with whatever the situation was.

I think, if I were ever to face down my demons, I'd be more inclined to listen to someone who encountered similar shit in their life.

There is a place for this though. Isn't that was addiction/bereavement councilling, etc is based on? No 2 people are going to experience things the same way but I think it helps greatly (even if just from a sympathetic point of view) when you try to engage with someone who is potentially going through what you went through yourself. And even if the experience of the suffering doesn't tally, there is certainly a usefulness in relating how you dealt with whatever the situation was.

I think, if I were ever to face down my demons, I'd be more inclined to listen to someone who encountered similar shit in their life.

That's true of course but I think even with that you need to account for the fact that what worked for you may not work for others.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/10/trawl...ts-catches-fire-sinks-within-sight-of-refuge/

Trawler Filled with African Immigrants Catches Fire – Sinks Within Sight of Refuge
Added by Douglas Cobb on October 3, 2013.
Saved under Douglas Cobb, Italy, World
Tags: top

Early Thursday morning, a trawler loaded with approximately 500 African immigrants, including children, sank off the coast of Lampedusa, a southern Italian island. Refuge was in sight for the immigrants, until the ship caught fire and capsized.

At least 114 people drowned in the disaster, and 250 are missing, according to the coastguard. The death toll is likely to rise in the coming days.

The ship, a rickety trawler, had reportedly floated without power in the Mediterranean Sea for at least two days in their doomed attempt to reach Europe.The Sicilian island of Lampedusa was less than a quarter of a mile away, but it was nighttime, and the people aboard were getting desperate to be rescued.

Somebody on the ship decided to try signaling for help by setting a blanket on fire with a match.

The flaming blanket ignited nearby gasoline, which made the situation quickly get out of control as the fire spread.The panic that ensued led to the capsizing of the trawler. The migrants found themselves tossed into the sea. The majority of them couldn’t swim.

The maritime disaster is one of the worst in recent history to happen in the area. At least 150 people managed to survive and were rescued by Italy’s Coast Guard, who are continuing their efforts to find survivors.

The sea route is a very perilous one, but African migrants are desperate to reach Europe, so they will go to any lengths they can in their efforts, even if it means risking their own lives.

Though most people in Italy are saddened by the terrible tragedy, some have used it to spark anti-immigrant rhetoric.

The Italian Coast Guard have pulled scores of dead bodies from the sea, and the Mayor of Lampedusa, Guisi Nicolini, statted to reporters that the scene was “horrific, like a cemetery,” and added that “they are still bringing them out.”

According to the United Nations refugee agency UNNCR, the trawler departed from Libya.

President Giorgio Napolitano of Italy Called for action to be taken by the European Union. He said the problem was not just Italy’s, but also was a problem of all of Europe. He said that if action was necessary to prevent “a succession of massacres of innocent people.”

In 2012, approximately 500 people died attempting to make the journey from Tunisia to Italy, according to UNNCR. Part of the numbers were refugees attempting to flee Syria’s ongoing civil war.

Pope Francis called the tragedy a “shame” and a “disgrace” and he added:

Let us unite our strengths so that such tragedies never happened again.”

How many immigrants made it to Italy successfully by sea last year?

About 15,000 immigrants were able to make it to Italy and Malta by sea in 2012. The amount of immigrants streaming into Italy has put an added strain on the country’s economy.

According to Italy’s Transport Minister Maurizio Lupi, legal measures need to be enacted to fight against the traffickers in transporting illegal immigrants.

Lupi said dealing with the issue was one that both Italy and “the international community and the European community have to take on as well.”

With over 250 people still missing after the tragic capsizing of a trawler near the Italian island of Lampedusa, the death toll is likely to rise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back