Shit Bass Players (1 Viewer)

classic seanc

I've noticed something from hangin around, looking at various upandcoming(or whatever you wanna call them) bands, and I would like to get your opinions on the matter.

Seems to me that nearly all of these bands have really really crap bass players. What is it that makes them think that running one finger up and down the E string is sufficient? Its not, its shite and dull and lazy.

Are there any bands out there with good bass players? This would be a good chance for you to plug your band btw.

What bands have particularly shit bass players? This would be a good chance to abuse other bands btw.

the bass player is keane is awful.
you cant even hear the fucker.

so whos a good/shit bass player then seanc?
and sometimes running your finger along the E-string is the best.

g-stereotypical said:
and sometimes running your finger along the E-string is the best.

I rarely use any other string. I've been actually thinking of taking the bottom two off altogether and just being done with it.

seanc said:
I've noticed something from hangin around, looking at various upandcoming(or whatever you wanna call them) bands, and I would like to get your opinions on the matter.

Seems to me that nearly all of these bands have really really crap bass players. What is it that makes them think that running one finger up and down the E string is sufficient? Its not, its shite and dull and lazy.

Are there any bands out there with good bass players? This would be a good chance for you to plug your band btw.

What bands have particularly shit bass players? This would be a good chance to abuse other bands btw.

very true

seanc said:

seanc = !zed

Intermeresting points people. I've seen some good bass players, but I don't wanna be seen as "plugging" a band or bands.

Sure sometimes keepin it simple is cool. But I mean bass players who just play the easiest thing and nothing else, ever.

Does it not annoy yee that a singer'll be givin it socks, the guitarist's are doin their thang, and the drummer's bangin away, and whatever other intruments that are there are kickin arse, and then the bass player is just goin "well, I can get away with doin this, I don't need to be any good"???
It annoy's my head.

And yes, Les Claypool is amazing. Why don't bass players want to be like him, in the way that guitarists want to be like Jimi Hendrix? If you know what I mean

ernesto said:
Armistead Burwell Smith IV of Pinback. amazing. all that (what i thought was)guitar on the album is actually him playin leading melodies and bass lines at the same time. blew me away. such brilliance.

Agreed!PMd you there.

Cheers,

Ciaran

seanc said:
And yes, Les Claypool is amazing. Why don't bass players want to be like him, in the way that guitarists want to be like Jimi Hendrix? If you know what I mean

Thing is its one thing to be a great virtuoso bass player but you have to fit it in with the rest of the band. Primus' whole sound is built around the bass and drums with guitar coming in third place. I used to like them a lot until they seemed to veer towards more staccato rythyms with a distinct lack of melody. AND you would have to become a recluse to be able to practice enough to be as good as him!

hugh said:
I rarely use any other string. I've been actually thinking of taking the bottom two off altogether and just being done with it.

remember D-A-D? swedish band / two string bass?

2441_2_full.jpg

seanc said:
Intermeresting points people. I've seen some good bass players, but I don't wanna be seen as "plugging" a band or bands.

Sure sometimes keepin it simple is cool. But I mean bass players who just play the easiest thing and nothing else, ever.

Does it not annoy yee that a singer'll be givin it socks, the guitarist's are doin their thang, and the drummer's bangin away, and whatever other intruments that are there are kickin arse, and then the bass player is just goin "well, I can get away with doin this, I don't need to be any good"???
It annoy's my head.

Take it from a bass player who uses all the strings, tries hard to do something interesting and fails; sometimes a little e string action's alright.

pete said:
remember D-A-D? swedish band / two string bass?

2441_2_full.jpg

I fuckin loved them!
Really funny songs about shagging Siamese twins and other sensitive issues.
"She's a six hole golf course mmmm,mmm,mmm I need her"

Yer wan from Morphine played a two string bass with both strings tuned to the same note except an octave apart. Sounded great though.

nonemoreblack]Thing is its one thing to be a great virtuoso bass player but you have to fit it in with the rest of the band. Primus' whole sound is built around the bass and drums with guitar coming in third place. I used to like them a lot until they seemed to veer towards more staccato rythyms with a distinct lack of melody. AND you would have to become a recluse to be able to practice enough to be as good as him![/quote] [URL="http://www.thumped.com/filezzz/primus/lesclaypool.wmv said:
http://www.thumped.com/filezzz/primus/lesclaypool.wmv[/URL]

takes about a minute to get going

also: [video=google, post: 0"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4063812742782547112[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back