Shebeen Chic (1 Viewer)

I hope you'll take a different approach when my new restaurant 'the potato blight boutique' opens.

not to mention my proposed 'workhouse fitness centre'; inmates..er clients shed pounds by working in quarries and/or building follies round about Kevin Myers country pile, sleeping on pallets and subsisting on warm water in which elderly protestants have bathed.

This is pretty much the description of some 6-euro-a-sip soup I had in the Mint Bar in the Westin. I was gonna write a letter suggesting that they famine-theme the menu and change the name to "Workhouse soup: One sip and the body of Christ is nothing but a metaphor!" but Mr Jane said I'd better not because people would be offended. Could they be more offended than I was at paying six fucking quid for a school-dinner sized "bowl-shaped object" of warm briny bathwater? No fucking way. Not a chance.

I noticed, though, that you did not suggest people eat soup made from Myers's bathwater. That'd be a violation of the Geneva Convention.

This belongs in the GENIUS TV IDEAS, JohnnyRaz. GENIUS.

wow you guys should really try something before you knock it...

i went to shebeen chic on thursday night, was going to go to cafe bar deli but thought i'd try it out. it was packed but we got a table. I had monkfish cheeks with bacon, cabbage and mash and my cousin had smoked mackerel boxty. we'd 2 glasses of wine and a coffee and it came to e36 between us.
It was GORGEOUS and cheaper than anything else in town.

The decor looks great, theres antique mirrors everywhere, paintings on their side, amazing lampshades and a clothes line with clothes hanging from it...it sounds ridiculous and it may be entirely gimmick but i don't care - it's a nice environment to have a meal in. Service was great, atmosphere was great, food was great.

BTW edit:some other restaurant rip off their waiters in terms of tips I hear. I'm a waitress and that really grinds my gears...

wow you guys should really try something before you knock it...

so i went to SUPERMACS the other night, fantastic, went with the brother;he had a broken nose but that wasn't a problem. i had the filet-au-fish and the strwberry-looking ice-cream with the chocolate stuff on it, himself had the meat thing.

overall, the chairs were particular impresssive as well as being original. over all, Mayo gets 3 thumbs up!

This is like a thread about your favourite band all over again, and suddenly a few new posters post up about the AMAZING band that no one knows, but of course they're not IN that band, oh no.

It's only liable if it's not true?

The_Great_Grape_Ape_Show_card.JPG

I had a row with someone about Shebeen Chic last night, in which I, yet to visit the property, repeated the choicest cuts from this hating thread verbatim to a guy who had been in it and loved it. I felt no guilt.

I had a row with someone about Shebeen Chic last night, in which I, yet to visit the property, repeated the choicest cuts from this hating thread verbatim to a guy who had been in it and loved it. I felt no guilt.

Good show, dude.

You think this thread is amusing now, just wait until one of the Chic trolls tries to sue the internet.

Hi,

Since you mentioned it earlier:

sixty6 and cornerhouse grill are backed by the same consortium of investors, who as far as i know do not back shebeen. In any case i don't think these investors have much impact on the negative experiences people consistently report in the two afore-mentioned venues. Of more relevance is the fact that they are managed on a day-to-day basis by the same woman, head manager or boss or whatever you want to call her. I don't want to be libellous so i will say nothing further about these specific places, other than that i too have observed them to be poorly run and have noticed that the cornerhouse grill in particular has a very high staff turnover.

Purely in the interest of discussion I will add some GENERAL observations which apply to ALL restaurants.

~Restaurants in busy city centre locations can easily take six figure sums in tips on a busy night.
~People tip on the assumption that the cash goes primarily to the server, with a percentage tipped out to other staff (eg porters, runners, kitchen) to varying degrees depending on the system employed by the particular establishment.
~It is illegal to pay staff only 5 - 10% of the tips they have made without having a clear accountable trail of where the frequently substantial amount of extra cash is going (eg embezzlement).
~Although improper, I don't think it is exactly illegal to consistently short the chefs' paychecks by a few hundred euro and make the shortfall up in cash . . . suppose it depends on where that cash is coming from. And whether or not you acknowledge it in your accounts/taxes.

This is an interesting topic so i just wanted to make a few casual statements in the interest of general discussion, points that make me ruminate on the state of the restaurant industry in general and are obviously not in any way related to any particular real life scenario that i have witnessed or experienced. At all.

43% of restaurants fail within the first year.
70% of people say they choose to say nothing despite bad service.
100% of me wants to go to the shebeen chic.

43% of restaurants fail within the first year.
70% of people say they choose to say nothing despite bad service.
100% of me wants to go to the shebeen chic.

We walked by this place this afternoon, just so I could look at it more closely and hate on it a little more. Mr Jane was like, "I know you really wanna go there." And at first I was like, "Maybe secretly I do. Maybe we could go there and at least I could hate on it EVEN MORE." And I took one look and it was like, "NOT A FRICKING CHANCE am I going in there."

It seems to do this kind of River Cottage rustic chic thing, crossed with a homeless person eating from a skip, crossed with the general gunge of ambient urban deprivation.

I feel like the sum of its parts makes me far angrier than the individual parts themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back