Shebeen Chic (1 Viewer)

piggles

Anyone been to this new place on George's Street called 'Shebeen Chic'? Only open a week but not much being said about it. It's a so-called 'green' or 'eco' restaurant/pub. Nice interior/atmosphere but the food is wacky. It's been a while since I've been to a place where I spent more time figuring out what would be "safe" to order as opposed to what would be yummy.

I heard its owned by the same people as Brasserie Sixty6. If so, then out of principle I won't be setting foot into it. Had a bad experience with that place a few years ago and vowed never to darken its door again. Almost everyone I speak to has had a bad experience there or knows someone who has.

it's the same dudes what own bobos, innit? which could be part of the same cabal that owns sixty6 (kip) but i doubt they're connected in any way.

i was just thinking t'other day "do you know what dublin needs, another pub"
thank fuck, eh?

I like that they have 'chic' in the name. Otherwise we might not know just how 'now' it is.

Whatever conglomerate owns the place, it is certainly done under the rubric of Dublin's 'tell, don't show' approach to business operation, especially in relation to perceived notions of 'hipness'. Blech.

Also, has any restaurant lasted more than a year in that building? It's been through so many I can't even keep track. I've eaten in almost all of them, only one was something other than icky crap garbage, and they've got progressively worse. I had one of the worst meals of my tenure in Dublin in Crush. They served us tinned fucking olives. TINNED olives in a place that claimed to do 'tapas'. You're like 20 metres from a pile of places that sell gorgeous fresh olives, and you choose to flog tinned ones as if they're good for something other than chopping up on pizza?

The problem is, that building is cursed. I've got bad associations with it because of the number of bad meals I've had in it. Is there a restaurant version of an exorcism?

66 and Bobo's are owned by the same people? Bobo's is vile, no redeeming features. The only thing I'll say for 66 is that their bangers & mash is tasty. Way overpriced rubbish otherwise, and their breakfast is very unfortunate. Takes ages to get anyone's attention in there too.
I'd never go anywhere with Chic in the name, except for Chicago.

66 and Bobo's are owned by the same people? Bobo's is vile, no redeeming features. The only thing I'll say for 66 is that their bangers & mash is tasty. Way overpriced rubbish otherwise, and their breakfast is very unfortunate. Takes ages to get anyone's attention in there too.
I'd never go anywhere with Chic in the name, except for Chicago.

I haven't been to 66 because of the service-related horror stories I've heard. There are plenty of other places to take my money. And I haven't heard enough good stuff about Bobos to bother, not to mention I don't eat burgers.

Even if the food is good, and I could temporarily ignore the name, I'm not sure I'd want to pay the 'chic' premium.

i think everyones on the money here so far.

shebeen for those who dont know is reference to an illegal irish drinking establishment, usually in rural areas (the last well known one was in limerick where a guy was barred from every pub in town so opened a place on the side of his mothers house called, ma's place, and had his friends round. its been raided and closed several times). So unless they're planning on selling booze at the price they got it for they can stick their chic up their uberhip hole.

its such a waste of a prominent shop/restaurant/bar space and as has been noted the place seems to be doomed for restaurants. so i am in hope of the lifespan of this awful place is brief.

i think everyones on the money here so far.

shebeen for those who dont know is reference to an illegal irish drinking establishment, usually in rural areas (the last well known one was in limerick where a guy was barred from every pub in town so opened a place on the side of his mothers house called, ma's place, and had his friends round. its been raided and closed several times). So unless they're planning on selling booze at the price they got it for they can stick their chic up their uberhip hole.

its such a waste of a prominent shop/restaurant/bar space and as has been noted the place seems to be doomed for restaurants. so i am in hope of the lifespan of this awful place is brief.

Yeah, ironic references to impoverishment or illicit economic activity are very fucking lame.

That shebeen in Limerick made me laugh so hard. I loved it. He kept re-opening hours after the gardai raided. And apparently, he charged on the door based on what sort of drinker you were known to be. And also apparently, he had the place fitted out to be disabled-accessible, which is more than you can say for most pubs.

It was a bit genius. And this is an insult to the real entrepreneurial spirit of yer man down in Limerick.

There's a real 'field of dreams' mentality here, that if you build it, they will come. You can't just call a place 'hip' -- it only becomes hip when the people you define as hip decide to start going. And it's a bad business plan because, well, hipness is fickle as fuck, so if you base your business around them (whoever they are -- anyone know any?), you're gone once they find another place.

Run a good joint with good food/drink at decent prices, with decent service, and you'll still be in business long after the boring fucks who like to be photographed for the social pages move on to some other dump and kick the toilet doors in because Aoibeheadhaaiennn is hogging all the gak again, the orangefaced cow.

Why can't people just focus on running a good restaurant, and they seem to think it's just about finding the right gimmick? Do they think we're so stupid that we can just be tricked into eating somewhere?

there was a picture of an INCREDIBLY hot guy having a pint there in Metro last week.
for that reason alone, i'll be popping in there eventually in a bid to track his loveliness down.

haha. thumped is cynical. i went to the "opening night"... i mean its just a pub, with as Moe Syzlak would say "a bunch of crazy crap on the wall", I don't get why there's a perceived attitude towards it because of its distinct "we are cool" stance.... "typical Irish begrudgery!" - You don't have to wear day-glo hi-tops to get in or anything.

Either way its just a pub, though the menu did look nice at least but the kitchen was closed when I got there. However, they could also do with making sure all the employees
1) understand English
2) understand how to poor Guinness.

Yeah, ironic references to
There's a real 'field of dreams' mentality here, that if you build it, they will come. You can't just call a place 'hip' -- it only becomes hip when the people you define as hip decide to start going. And it's a bad business plan because, well, hipness is fickle as fuck, so if you base your business around them (whoever they are -- anyone know any?), you're gone once they find another place.

Run a good joint with good food/drink at decent prices, with decent service, and you'll still be in business long after the boring fucks who like to be photographed for the social pages move on to some other dump and kick the toilet doors in because Aoibeheadhaaiennn is hogging all the gak again, the orangefaced cow.

Why can't people just focus on running a good restaurant, and they seem to think it's just about finding the right gimmick? Do they think we're so stupid that we can just be tricked into eating somewhere?

There's so much right here, I'm gunna have to rep this.

Yeah, ironic references to impoverishment or illicit economic activity are very fucking lame.

?

I hope you'll take a different approach when my new restaurant 'the potato blight boutique' opens.

not to mention my proposed 'workhouse fitness centre'; inmates..er clients shed pounds by working in quarries and/or building follies round about Kevin Myers country pile, sleeping on pallets and subsisting on warm water in which elderly protestants have bathed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back